Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for feedback, I am very close to purchasing a 2017 HSE w/ 45k from a LR dealer. I'd like some advice as to what to look for and in general if it's a good idea. I really like the looks of them but I've read mixed reviews. Thanks in advance. Matt

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought a 2019 HSE on a custom order in June and so far I still love it. It's been trouble-free and has performed well on interstate hwy trips, urban driving,and the light to moderate off-roading I've done (not the Rubicon but much worse than a gravel road).

·
Registered
11 Posts
What are you using it for? I like the looks, ride, brakes, interior, accessories and steering on mine. Down sides are not the smoothest gearbox, bogs down in roundabouts till the turbo kicks in, and some slight body roll at very high speeds.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You hit the nail on the head! Although I added the Dynamic drive pack to mine and in that mode I find the bog down is eliminated. However, I rarely use that drive mode because I could care less to paddle shift in an suv lol.
I use mind as a daily driver to and from work which is about 44km give or take down the highway to and from.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine is a 2018 HSE Dynamic (has the dynamic drive mode and the upgraded 286hp engine).

I put a lot of miles on mine (100mile round trip to work) and I love it because of all the extra comforts and how fun it is on the curvy bits, while also knowing I’ll have no trouble when the snow plows haven’t even been out yet.

I DO use my dynamic mode and S mode often. I actually really enjoy how the transmission shifts on its own when it’s in S mode. Most of my previous cars/trucks before were manual, and it’s rare for me to enjoy an automatic transmission and let it do it’s thing without grabbing for the flappy paddles. HOWEVER, in normal D mode... yes, there is that god awful lag that drives us ALL absolutely insane. You will learn to anticipate it, but man it still catches you off guard often.

And just to clarify: Dynamic mode - adjusts “style” of the brake torque-vectoring to make it feel like the suspension has been stiffened. It can be turned on/off independently from the “S” mode of the transmission, which changes how it shifts (keeps the revs up). Both can be used independently, but when combined, it’s fun. Dynamic mode is an added option, though.. not sure if the 2017 you’re looking at has it.

Another option I have is the inTouch Pro (the bigger 10” screen) and the upgraded audio for the media system. I just happened to get it with mine (bought it used). Honestly, since driving a few loaners that didn’t have it, I don’t know that I would’ve been happy without it. It’s definitely something to consider, especially if you want Apple CarPlay. If it has the smaller screen, you can’t add Apple CarPlay without buying and installing extra equipment. If it has the upgraded system with the 10” screen, the dealer can update the software and it’ll work like all the brand new LR’s.

Other than that, I love my DS HSE. There was an odd turbo “whistle” the dealer chased down for about 8 months, but it ended up being a leak in the exhaust system and they replaced it all under warranty. That was the only real issue I’ve had.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm a 2017 HSE owner with the black tone accessories, but so far not as happy as i would like. It's a very appealing car and has it's highs, but i just had the poorest dealings with the two dealers and Land Rover USA as well. Long story short, when the car was purchased new with only 15 miles it was given to me with apparent defective tires (continentals), within a month or 2 from purchase it was addressed and selling dealer as well as servicing dealer played stupid and insisted it was poor balancing on the tires. Eventually the selling dealer replaced the tires with Pirelli, but it seems they placed defective tires as well as the ride is not as smooth as expected. Selling dealer Manhattan Land Rover in NY does not store their cars properly and allow the tires in the vehicles to deform ( flat spots ). It was addressed to them and they did not assist and Land Rover USA played along with the dealer. For me, it will be my 1st and last Land Rover / Range Rover I will acquire.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm a 2017 HSE owner with the black tone accessories, but so far not as happy as i would like. It's a very appealing car and has it's highs, but i just had the poorest dealings with the two dealers and Land Rover USA as well. Long story short, when the car was purchased new with only 15 miles it was given to me with apparent defective tires (continentals), within a month or 2 from purchase it was addressed and selling dealer as well as servicing dealer played stupid and insisted it was poor balancing on the tires. Eventually the selling dealer replaced the tires with Pirelli, but it seems they placed defective tires as well as the ride is not as smooth as expected. Selling dealer Manhattan Land Rover in NY does not store their cars properly and allow the tires in the vehicles to deform ( flat spots ). It was addressed to them and they did not assist and Land Rover USA played along with the dealer. For me, it will be my 1st and last Land Rover / Range Rover I will acquire.
That is definitely a shame. Thankful my dealer has been great with their customer service. On a side note, those Continentals are garbage, even when they aren’t flat-spotted. I couldn’t wait to get rid of mine.

What size wheels do you have? I have the 20” and it makes a huge difference. Mine with the 20” wheels and lower profile tires definitely has more road noise and isn’t quite as smooth/comfy of a ride as the DS loaners I’ve driven with the 18” or 19” wheels. I have also noticed that I like the Pirelli’s more than the Continentals. Quieter and smoother. I have BFG’s on mine, now, though.

The smaller the wheel, the bigger the tire and the softer the ride. Definitely another thing to consider for someone purchasing a new DS or any other vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts