Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 24,000km on my vehicle (2017). My first service was around the 15,000km mark and about a month prior to my service visit I checked the oil and noticed I was right at the bottom of the add line. I had to add a full quart to top it up. I thought this was odd but its a brand new engine and I am no mechanic to assume whether this is normal or not haha.

Since my first oil change I have put roughly 9-10,000km on the vehicle. I checked the engine oil yesterday and again, I am at the add line. Now I did just return from a 4000km road trip and maybe this is normal?

Anyone else experience these types of issues or can anyone confirm if this is normal? I ask because I have never in the past with prior vehicles had to add oil between service visits.

Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
doesn't sound like burning oil but more like leaking somewhere.... look for the obvious; oil stains on the driveway / garage.....though with the protective cover under the engine bay and if the leak is very slow.... it may be tough to notice.
If it was burning this much oil.... you'd see smoke from the exhaust and car would run very different....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, one of my previous cars managed to consume around a quart liter per 200 0miles. Granted, the engine had over 100k miles on it, but still engines sometimes might consume a bit more oil than usual. In any case while I don't think it is normal for such a new engine, I think you will have hard time to get the dealership to do anything about it. The car manufacturers protect themselves and very often they consider 1 liter per 1000km as "normal" ...

·
Registered
325 Posts
The max line is just that, but it is not recomended. Fill should be half way between the add and max. So you are burning very little oil and nothing to woŕry about, 1 liter per 1000 is when you have to worry.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the feedback everyone.... its appreciated. Everything appears to be normal since returning from my road trip so fingers crossed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts