Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very early model 2015 DS. When we got it, of course I noticed the lack of throttle response. It was lacking compared to the Evoque we test drove for a day but it handled much better which redeemed it. The lag wasn't terrible but it was there. Until the turbo spooled up the little 2.0L was gutless and I'm pretty sure that the shift mapping had it caught out in the wrong gear. Over time, the low end response has got much better, but turbo lag and improper gear selection is still noticeable. I'm sure the computer has done some learning and dialed in refinements over time. But like I said, it could be better.

That being said...
I had my DS in for an oil change yesterday and I was issued a 2016 DS for a loaner (with 5K miles on the clock). If that vehicle is an example of the latest Discovery Sports, then I have to say that the DS has gone backwards on this issue. I don't think I've ever driven a more gutless car from start and low speeds. It took FOREVER for something to happen. It was nothing short of terrible. Again, if this is the norm, I don't see how they are selling.

Also I noticed that the fuel gauge fault is still there. Full tank read 234 miles to empty.
InControl was glitchy, speed limit sign was wrong some of the time....read 80 MPH in a 65 zone???? 55 in a 25???
That's just the things I noticed in the 45 mins I was behind the wheel for the day.

Maybe this one was built on a Friday but this is pretty unbelievable IMHO. :eek:
How does this happen? As the model years go on, the model should get more refined, not go backwards.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks Disco.... That is scary stuff. I didn't pay attention to those things during my test drive. I was more interested in the typical test drive evaluation....I even had to tell the salesperson to shut up so I could listen to the vehicle. I will take another test drive and look for those issues. Again... Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It takes time to address things. Probably longer than we think. Every niggle I've experienced has been easily fixed. I was just very surprised at the low end lag.

·
Registered
87 Posts
RE: gutless - I think this has been brought up a few times. You have to let the car adapt to your driving style. I think if it's got 5K miles as a loaner, it's possible that the car has been issued to multiple clients and the system never has enough time to adapt to one. Mine was sluggish and jerky at first but now it's much more smooth. Is it as smooth as the transmission in my '15 F-150? No. But is it a problem? No, just gotta let the car and driver adapt to each other.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a little update on this thread while I'm thinking about it...

This is strange...a few weeks ago, I got a 2016 DS as a loaner for the day while I had our DS in for the license plate light recall. This time, the loaner had MUCH better low end power. Easily on par with our DS..which has got better over time.

The loaner I this time had around 600 miles on the clock. Just weird....why was the previous loaner soooooo gutless while this one was pretty much normal???

One idea I had was, since you have to return the loaner with a full tank, I wonder if the previous person who had the loaner went all cheap and filled it up with 87 Octane fuel?? Possible I guess???

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes warning, the speed sign shows you the last speed limit sign the vehicle could read...I've entered the high way with the system telling me the speed limit was 40MPH lower, I've turned onto my home street with the system telling me the speed limit was 40MPH (all residential streets in Michigan are officially 25MPH). I find the speed limit indicator display system to be near useless. It will change its displayed value only if you "pass" the speed limit sign. On my vehicle, if the system
can't tell the speed limit it'll indicate "--" most of the time. On some occasions, it seems to have a random number generator built in.. honestly I've never seen a 68 MPH speed limit sign (LOL, but seriously it has displayed speed limits ending in other numbers than 5 or 0).

Now the symbol with the red & black cars... it doesn't seem to co-relate to anything in reality. It might be based upon whether there is a cloud above me and/or if the time of day is an even or odd number. It activates sometime when I'm in a parking spot at Taco Bell or if there is a grassy area to my left (most often so don't drive on the grass???).

·
Registered
258 Posts
yes warning, the speed sign shows you the last speed limit sign the vehicle could read...I've entered the high way with the system telling me the speed limit was 40MPH lower, I've turned onto my home street with the system telling me the speed limit was 40MPH (all residential streets in Michigan are officially 25MPH). I find the speed limit indicator display system to be near useless. It will change its displayed value only if you "pass" the speed limit sign. On my vehicle, if the system
can't tell the speed limit it'll indicate "--" most of the time. On some occasions, it seems to have a random number generator built in.. honestly I've never seen a 68 MPH speed limit sign (LOL, but seriously it has displayed speed limits ending in other numbers than 5 or 0).

Now the symbol with the red & black cars... it doesn't seem to co-relate to anything in reality. It might be based upon whether there is a cloud above me and/or if the time of day is an even or odd number. It activates sometime when I'm in a parking spot at Taco Bell or if there is a grassy area to my left (most often so don't drive on the grass???).
Both indicators don't work very well, do they? :). The speed limit indicator is better than the no passing zone indicator, though, which does seem to come on at completely random times. I don't really pay much attention to that indicator anyway. It's easy to see the lines on the road. I do like the speed limit indicator if I haven't been paying attention and need to know the speed limit (or at least the limit the car thinks it is). :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just picked mine up Saturday and though we had a transmission issue today (I opened a thread re: transmission wouldn't engage in D and will be back at the dealer tomorrow) I am very happy with throttle response as well as transmission shifting, Icontrol/nav/Bluetooth, etc. My speed indicator appears to be spot on so far....I luv how she drives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts