Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Discovery Sport with about 75k miles. About a month ago I got a low coolant warning, and then overheating. I added some, and about two weeks later got the same warning, and added more. I then took it to the shop recently and they found that it was leaking underneath the manifold, in a piece that "spiders" coolant to the rest of the engine.

They fixed that, but the car continues to give the overheating warning. After doing a ton of investigating, they believe that the head gasket is blown, or worse. They found that fuel exhaust is leaking into the coolant, heating it up to the point that the coolant can't properly cool. This is likely from it running hot prior.

I called a local LR shop and they said they would typically replace the whole engine in this scenario, and that it's between a $20k - 30k job. With the value of the car being around $16k this is likely not going to happen, but I feel weird about trashing a car that's in such great shape other than the engine.

Has anyone run across something like this, and if so were you able to find another solution?

· Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
842 Posts
Just replace the gasket, no needed for a new motor unless there are other major problems. The first garage should have caught the problem.

Go to a local garage that deals in Ford products because you have a ford ecoboost engine

· Registered
99 Posts
I agree with @Bill F . A new head gasket may well fix it. The only gotcha there is if the head has warped from overheating, it may need to go to a machine shop to flatten it before the new head gasket will seal. Even if that's the case though, it's a lot cheaper than a whole new engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts