Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2016 Discovery Sport 2.0 Ecoboost
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. 2016 Disco Sport with the GTDi 2.0 Ecoboost. I was driving on the interstate and I noticed the throttle not responding normally, then a few seconds later the car completely shuts down. Power brakes go out and the engine stopped, but the interior electronics are still working (radio, lights etc.). Gear shifter rescinds into the center console. I end up getting it towed home.

When trying to start it, you can hear the starter working and see the belt spin, but it gets no compression. I smell gas, so it's getting fuel. I had the battery checked and it's still good (only a year old). I changed the spark plugs but that wasn't the culprit. The plug all the way on the passenger side had a little more oil on it than I would've expected.

Doing a visual check of all the fuses, none are burnt. but I haven't checked any relays.

Has anyone run into this problem before? Could this be an electrical issue?

· Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
842 Posts
Curious you post that you have found the problem with your car and then post 15 minutes later that you have a new major problem that occurred before your other post

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curious you post that you have found the problem with your car and then post 15 minutes later that you have a new major problem that occurred before your other post
I'm confused... I found the solution to my rough idle problem from last September, so I figured I'd update that post with the solution while I was here posting my new issue with it dying on the interstate.

· Registered
99 Posts
If there's no compression, you have a pretty major mechanical problem. It would be a very strange problem though if you lost compression in all the cylinders at once. When the starter works but the engine won't start, the places to start are checking for fuel and spark. When you figure out which one you're missing, then you have to figure out why. It could be electrical but it could also be lots of other things.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If there's no compression, you have a pretty major mechanical problem. It would be a very strange problem though if you lost compression in all the cylinders at once. When the starter works but the engine won't start, the places to start are checking for fuel and spark. When you figure out which one you're missing, then you have to figure out why. It could be electrical but it could also be lots of other things.
I appreciate the input! I'm pretty puzzled by it. I smell fuel after it tries to crank. Fuel is definitely flowing through the high pressure fuel pump, so I don't think that's the problem. Spark plugs were just changed, but I didn't change any coil packs. I would think it would just run rough if it was a coil pack though.

· Registered
99 Posts
Smelling fuel doesn't necessarily prove anything. It could mean you have a fuel leak and there's no fuel getting into the engine. Coils are a possibility but it would be strange for them to all die at once.

I'm still more concerned about the thing you said about lack of compression though. When you took the spark plugs out, did you turn the engine over to see if there was really no compression? if that's the problem, there's no reason to waste time worrying about fuel and spark.

· Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
842 Posts
What codes did the car give ? As NVRover says the lack of compression is a serious condition along with the oil you found in the cylinder.

it could be possible that the timing belt has broken (?) and the valves may all be in the open position or partially opened. Do a compression test on each cylinder and compare if all are the same. Make sure the coils are disconnected while doing it.

· Registered
52 Posts
I had an issue kinda like this. I also noticed the temp control was super wrong, showing a big negative number. I shut the vehicle off, let the temp slowly adjust to the current ambient, restarted, then was able to resume normally. The situation recurred 3 times, but after having the dealer investigate and update the controller software the condition never happened again. Good luck with the troubleshooting!

· Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys. 2016 Disco Sport with the GTDi 2.0 Ecoboost. I was driving on the interstate and I noticed the throttle not responding normally, then a few seconds later the car completely shuts down. Power brakes go out and the engine stopped, but the interior electronics are still working (radio, lights etc.). Gear shifter rescinds into the center console. I end up getting it towed home.

When trying to start it, you can hear the starter working and see the belt spin, but it gets no compression. I smell gas, so it's getting fuel. I had the battery checked and it's still good (only a year old). I changed the spark plugs but that wasn't the culprit. The plug all the way on the passenger side had a little more oil on it than I would've expected.

Doing a visual check of all the fuses, none are burnt. but I haven't checked any relays.

Has anyone run into this problem before? Could this be an electrical issue?
is gearbox fault appearing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts