Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had issues with heating ventilation console illuminations lamps failing?
MY DS has been relatively reliable but just lately these lamps have been failing one by one.
First the top row that have the quick buttons for rear window heating heated seat etc failed one by one and now the bottom row have started to fail. When i say fail they don't illuminate once head lamps are on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mine has just had that problem, is there a fix or what is it from?
Hi ajk I dont know what the cause is as yet, however I suspect just port quality LED's that should last the life of the vehicle but giving up at 4-5 years. I have had my local dealer have a quick look at it and they say they have seen this before, so I have to assume its becoming common.
The issue for me is LED back lights on the AC control panel buttons with the top row now dark at night and its happening too more. Now the touch screen surrounding buttons are becoming dark. Its like a creeping death the the LED's on the circuit boards.
So the LED's cant be replaced and neither can the circuit boards so the only fix is to replace the entire Heater A/C control panel which has a cost of approx $3000.00 just to fix the LED's and I have to assume the touch screen will be the same as it looks like the same design. Total repairs could reach $5000 just to make the car driveable at night.
I contacted Land Rover Australia as my car is well out of warranty but traveled just 40,000km, they are being typically evasive and have told me to take it to the dealership for repair. This is unsatisfactory as I want a commitment that it will be repaired without costing me 20% of the cars value just to have some LED's replaced in the dash.
I am going to pursue this further as the depreciation has been horrendous and trying to sell it with this fault and the cost to repair it will make me liable under our consumer law.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI Magnus,
thanks for the reply. I am trying to find out what the actual problem is.
Personally I am finished with LR dealerships as they are only trying to on sell/up sell other unrelated (created) problems and the quality of their mechanics is poor.
I recently had an experience where I was treated as if I knew nothing about cars and just walked away leaving my wife to talk to the service manager. I ended up paying for a software upgrade to fix a problem that they caused?!? Still did not work.

The light issue on the console could only be a connection or light issue both of which should cost noting. I accept the labour in removing the console and replacing it may be some cost, but nowhere near the amounts you have mentioned.

I have had this DS since new in 2015 and it is an excellent vehicle in my pinion and we are keeping it for a while still. I am now however, sourcing 'old school' auto mechanics and electricians to deal with the car.

Keep in touch if you have any luck and I will do the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ajk
I totally agree as I am also over the local dealership as good as they appear to be the costs associated with "approved repairers" is just too much.
Like you I have owned my vehicles since new and it has been almost trouble free which is surprising considering the reputation.
But now this minor issue with a few failing LED's is stupid and obviously JLR expected them to last a life time given they are part of a circuit board and obviously cant just be replaced independently within the board. At the rate of failure and as its in other circuits boards I can only assume that these LED's are either a badge batch or just poor quality. My advice from numerous sources says that as only a few on the board are failing it can be only two things the component or the circuit board with a dry joints (which means the circuit boards are failing). Both these failures should not happen. Discovery 4's had a similar issue so I am told and they are about the same production era but I am told you can get replacement boards for these vehicles.

Keep me posted on your findings and I will do the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I now have this problem in my 2016 DS HSE and they are failing one by one. Dealer said i had to replace the whole module because you cant just replace one light. The part alone is $923. I will pass for the moment. Anyone else find any fixes on this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I have this same problem with my 2015 model and is the reason I joined this forum. My dssh had the light fail randonly over time and now has just two working one on either side of the LCD screen. It does nit assist safe driving at night when you are trying to find the rear demist be feel !

i have had exactly the same experience with the dealership in terms of cost and attitude, and no cost effective solution. My next vehicle wont be a LD for this reason. In all other respects the vehicle has been great on and off raod, now 110,000km, except for rear tailgate strut failures as well, see seperate post. Seems we are stuck with this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts