Discovery Sport Forum banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. I've emailed them earlier this week and waiting to hear back. Also spoke to Fulcrum in Yerongpilly so I'll see what they come back with. Really appreciate your insight. Cheers

I'm in Brisbane also, interested to know how you go and pricing as thinking we need a lift also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve got the quote from Fulcrum at Yerongpilly and they say $1331 fitted with the Einbach springs. British Off-road on the Sunny Coast quoted me $1000 for the fitting only as they don’t have an account with Einbach so you have to buy the springs direct and take them in for fitting ($580 from memory but you can check on their website)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought my Eibach springs from eBay seller rallyshop_world . It says they have two available. Came in OEM packaging. Have been great! Have Pirelli Scorpion ATR 255/60R18. I feel this is a sensible fit. In this picture the front is a little elevated and the back a little depressed because of about 300lbs of bricks in the back and about 200lbs of tongue wt. on trailer. I have noticed that this suspension really helps if you have a heavier load in the back. Much less sag than stock springs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my Eibach springs from eBay seller rallyshop_world . It says they have two available. Came in OEM packaging. Have been great! Have Pirelli Scorpion ATR 255/60R18. I feel this is a sensible fit. In this picture the front is a little elevated and the back a little depressed because of about 300lbs of bricks in the back and about 200lbs of tongue wt. on trailer. I have noticed that this suspension really helps if you have a heavier load in the back. Much less sag than stock springs.
View attachment 7545
View attachment 7546
Thanks for the recommendation. Just ordered off Ebay!

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 7545
View attachment 7546
Just got my springs installed, I am running 235/60/r18 and I am getting some minor rubbing. Did you experience any?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all. Just after some advice from people how have lifted their DS. What impact, if any, do the Einbach springs have on the clearance between the tyre side wall and front suspension strut? The MY2020 DS has less clearance compared with MY2019 and earlier. I’m trying to solve two problems: (i) increase the underbody clearance and (ii) create enough clearance between side walls and struts to fit diamond pattern snow chains. One option to get more inside clearance is to swap to rims with less positive offset (say, +20 rather than +45).

Also, has anyone tried fitting snow chains to the rear wheels? Not ideal, but the back has more inside clearance. Not sure if this would work with the DS’s all wheel drive system (or if it would just send all drive to the front).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all. Just after some advice from people how have lifted their DS. What impact, if any, do the Einbach springs have on the clearance between the tyre side wall and front suspension strut? The MY2020 DS has less clearance compared with MY2019 and earlier. I’m trying to solve two problems: (i) increase the underbody clearance and (ii) create enough clearance between side walls and struts to fit diamond pattern snow chains. One option to get more inside clearance is to swap to rims with less positive offset (say, +20 rather than +45).

Also, has anyone tried fitting snow chains to the rear wheels? Not ideal, but the back has more inside clearance. Not sure if this would work with the DS’s all wheel drive system (or if it would just send all drive to the front).
The Eibach springs have no affect at all on the clearance between the tyre side wall and front suspension strut! They will however increase the underbody clearance. No idea on snow chains - not needed them yet!

·
Registered
61 Posts

You would be able to sneak a <5mm spacer to create more clearance to the suspension I have seen others have done this on here and it would be much cheaper than new rims. Do you live up near the ski fields, or do you just want the snow chains for doing sick burnouts? 🤣

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why don’t buy a set of winter tires?
They aren’t that expensive and you can swap every winter. You don’t buy the chains that are a real pain to install and can potentially damage your tires. It’s the best performance for both situations and since you use your summer tires less they will also last longer.
This is my set up (where I live is compulsory) and I can tell you I will have dedicated winter tires for as long as I live in a place where there is snow. Regardless of the law.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Why don’t buy a set of winter tires?
They aren’t that expensive and you can swap every winter. You don’t buy the chains that are a real pain to install and can potentially damage your tires. It’s the best performance for both situations and since you use your summer tires less they will also last longer.
This is my set up (where I live is compulsory) and I can tell you I will have dedicated winter tires for as long as I live in a place where there is snow. Regardless of the law.
You have spacers on yours, right? What thickness did you go?

As he's an Aussie poster I'm assuming he lives near the ski fields - sometimes they make you chuck chains on your car to go up the mountain. If not, you're correct decent tyres will do the job nicely. I avoid chains as much as possible when I'm skiing. Grubby work getting them on and off with cold hands when you're ready for a beer at the end of the day

·
Registered
47 Posts

As he's an Aussie poster I'm assuming he lives near the ski fields - sometimes they make you chuck chains on your car to go up the mountain. If not, you're correct decent tyres will do the job nicely. I avoid chains as much as possible when I'm skiing. Grubby work getting them on and off with cold hands when you're ready for a beer at the end of the day
No spacers, at the end I didn’t need them to fit my tires 255/60R18 (somebody here has 265/65R18 without spacers I believe) and I thought that the extra load they place on bearings and other suspension components wasn’t worth it just for the looks.

Note I am not talking about M+S tires but real snow tures they ones with the Three peak mountain snowflake symbol. Whith those you should never be required to mount snow chains.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Those of us who ever had to mount chains in an icy road know the struggle, I rather have hot wine at the cottage 😅

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the responses. As some have guessed, it’s a legality issue - you must have diamond pattern chains that fit in order to visit some ski resorts here, even if you have snow tyres fitted. Spider chains are also banned at some resorts, so the chains must wrap around the inside of the tyre. I have never had to fit snow chains to an AWD, but don’t want to get fined for carrying chains that can’t be fitted. Wheel spacers would work but are illegal here (or, at least, that’s my understanding). So I was just checking what others might have done and thought that maybe if the strut wasn’t exactly perpendicular to the ground, increased spring height might change the geometry enough to provide a bit more inside clearance. I only need 10mm extra. I also have a MY2019 DS and it has much more clearance - there was obviously a design change for the MY2020.

It will be interesting to see if all the advice on this thread on springs and tyres sizes continues to apply for MY2020 and beyond. I only have about 10-15mm gap between the tyre side wall and the strut. That’s on 235/50 R20s. It’s even worse on 235/60 R18s because the increase wall height causes the tyre to bugles out slightly (probably tyre specific). I suspect any tyre wider than 235 will be a problem without changing the rim offset. 255 tyres from LR come with 9” rims, so the offset is different.

Snow tyres are an option (even with snow chains), but I drive 350km every weekend in winter, only the final 5km of which might be on snow. Even then, most times the road has been cleared or the snow is so pathetic it has melted. And snow tyres are expensive here. So I’ll probably go with a set of mild all terrain on the second set of rims with less positive offset.

What I thought would be a simple purchase of a set of chains has become very expensive, particularly now that I’ve read and seen pictures of what others have been doing! I smashed up the plastic bash plate on the weekend. Rival bash plate is in the mail, so maybe I’ll go all in with 18” rims, springs and ATs!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the responses. As some have guessed, it’s a legality issue - you must have diamond pattern chains that fit in order to visit some ski resorts here, even if you have snow tyres fitted. Spider chains are also banned at some resorts, so the chains must wrap around the inside of the tyre. I have never had to fit snow chains to an AWD, but don’t want to get fined for carrying chains that can’t be fitted. Wheel spacers would work but are illegal here (or, at least, that’s my understanding). So I was just checking what others might have done and thought that maybe if the strut wasn’t exactly perpendicular to the ground, increased spring height might change the geometry enough to provide a bit more inside clearance. I only need 10mm extra. I also have a MY2019 DS and it has much more clearance - there was obviously a design change for the MY2020.

It will be interesting to see if all the advice on this thread on springs and tyres sizes continues to apply for MY2020 and beyond. I only have about 10-15mm gap between the tyre side wall and the strut. That’s on 235/50 R20s. It’s even worse on 235/60 R18s because the increase wall height causes the tyre to bugles out slightly (probably tyre specific). I suspect any tyre wider than 235 will be a problem without changing the rim offset. 255 tyres from LR come with 9” rims, so the offset is different.

Snow tyres are an option (even with snow chains), but I drive 350km every weekend in winter, only the final 5km of which might be on snow. Even then, most times the road has been cleared or the snow is so pathetic it has melted. And snow tyres are expensive here. So I’ll probably go with a set of mild all terrain on the second set of rims with less positive offset.

What I thought would be a simple purchase of a set of chains has become very expensive, particularly now that I’ve read and seen pictures of what others have been doing! I smashed up the plastic bash plate on the weekend. Rival bash plate is in the mail, so maybe I’ll go all in with 18” rims, springs and ATs!
Yeah, I suspect the only thing that has changed between your 2 models is the rims. Maybe 8.5" or 9" on your 2020 model, as opposed to 8" on your 2019

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, I suspect the only thing that has changed between your 2 models is the rims. Maybe 8.5" or 9" on your 2020 model, as opposed to 8" on your 2019
There is definitely a minor change to suspension or hubs on my two vehicles. It might even just be a slightly narrower track width. When I fit the bash plate I’ll pull the wheels off and compare the two properly. I’ve swapped the wheels between both vehicles previously and there is consistently less space on the 2020 vehicle compared with the 2019 vehicle - so it’s not just the wheels/tyres.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts