Discovery Sport Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just had my DS Lifted - Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 265/60/R18 going on next week. Anyone know if I can squeeze a set of 265/65/R18's on? View attachment 7436
265/60/R18 is the tallest you can fit without extensive trimming/cutting of the wheel wells and sheet metal, in addition to the nonexistent strut clearance. Even with a 30.5in tall tire, I still experience some rubbing at full lock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
265/60/R18 is the tallest you can fit without extensive trimming/cutting of the wheel wells and sheet metal, in addition to the nonexistent strut clearance. Even with a 30.5in tall tire, I still experience some rubbing at full lock.
Thanks for that! I'm going to have to work out if I can get some more strut clearance.... I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
53 Posts
The lift and tyre combo look great! I would have done similar if mine had come with 18's. Have you had to use any spacers?

Also, the deflector things I've circled are super easy to remove - I found they contact a lot when driving in the sand and I was worried they would rip off or pull a larger part off or out of shape.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The lift and tyre combo look great! I would have done similar if mine had come with 18's. Have you had to use any spacers?

Also, the deflector things I've circled are super easy to remove - I found they contact a lot when driving in the sand and I was worried they would rip off or pull a larger part off or out of shape.
Thanks - I used a very thin spacer at the rear as there was a small amount of rub, but nothing at the front! How do I get rid of those deflectors? I HATE them!!!
On the spacers again, I may end up running a bigger set of spacers if it will allow me to fit a 265/65/18 tire on my DS!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks - I used a very thin spacer at the rear as there was a small amount of rub, but nothing at the front! How do I get rid of those deflectors? I HATE them!!!
On the spacers again, I may end up running a bigger set of spacers if it will allow me to fit a 265/65/18 tire on my DS!
Do you not get any rub at all on full lock at the front? That's cool. So a 1/4" spacer or something like that on the rear? If you go bigger again on the tyres do you think you'll still be able to carry a full spare?

If you lie on your back and look at those deflectors I think it is simply 2 screws, from memory. It was a 5 minute job and I remember being pleased that it was simple and that they weren't part of a bigger panel. I removed the plastic part and then replaced the screws.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you not get any rub at all on full lock at the front? That's cool. So a 1/4" spacer or something like that on the rear? If you go bigger again on the tyres do you think you'll still be able to carry a full spare?

If you lie on your back and look at those deflectors I think it is simply 2 screws, from memory. It was a 5 minute job and I remember being pleased that it was simple and that they weren't part of a bigger panel. I removed the plastic part and then replaced the screws.
I get a tiny bit of rub on full lock, but not enough to bother me! Im going to fit a WILCO Hitchgate or similar to carry the bigger spare, but it would probably fit. Thanks for sending me the info on how to remove the deflectors!

·
Registered
41 Posts
@AlphaMike07 That Disco looks sharp! You're running 265/60R18s, I take it? I have 5mm (3/16") spacers in the rear, just to space out the wheels that little bit more. How easy was it to install the lifted springs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
@AlphaMike07 That Disco looks sharp! You're running 265/60R18s, I take it? I have 5mm (3/16") spacers in the rear, just to space out the wheels that little bit more. How easy was it to install the lifted springs?
Thanks! Its taken a little bit of work and a bit more cash but its nowhere near finished to be honest! 5mm Spacers sound about right to be honest! I paid 650USD and it took the shop 7 hours to complete it - So I am guessing it is not the easiest job!

And yes, the tires are Falken Wildpeak AT3W's in 265/60R18. They seem to be great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, does anyone know the largest set up I can have for disco sport without a lift.

I currently have 235 55 19 and looking to change to 18 inch for better off-road capabilities

would 265 60 18 be the largest I could go?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi guys, does anyone know the largest set up I can have for disco sport without a lift.

I currently have 235 55 19 and looking to change to 18 inch for better off-road capabilities

would 265 60 18 be the largest I could go?
Yes. If you can read, the more detailed answer you’re looking for would be the post at the top of this page.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just put 255 55 19 Cooper Zeon Ltz AT Tyres on my 19” wheels and they are a lot noisier than expected. They do look great though!

I originally was intending to find 18 wheels and 265 or 255 60 tyres but couldn’t find what I was looking for so went with the above. However due to the amount of noise coming from them, I am now going to keep my eye out for some 18s and then fit a tyre that is less noisy.

Has anyone experienced the same with Coopers and can reccomend a AT that is less noisy, or is only way to go to a HT?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have just put 255 55 19 Cooper Zeon Ltz AT Tyres on my 19” wheels and they are a lot noisier than expected. They do look great though!

I originally was intending to find 18 wheels and 265 or 255 60 tyres but couldn’t find what I was looking for so went with the above. However due to the amount of noise coming from them, I am now going to keep my eye out for some 18s and then fit a tyre that is less noisy.

Has anyone experienced the same with Coopers and can reccomend a AT that is less noisy, or is only way to go to a HT?
I know they're only a hybrid light truck tyre but I would still avoid putting LT tyres on a DS. They'll have extra steel in them that the DS doesn't need as it's so light. That stiff, heavy rubber will send a bit more vibration through the cabin and increase road noise. I put Grabber AT3's on mine and they've been great, only a slight increase in road noise from stock tyres and same spec and load rating as what you have on there. 18's would be good though!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great info thanks Gents. I've just joined specifically for the lift/tyre choice info and it has been very helpful. I have a 2016 SD4 SE which has only done about 30k and I've just caught the offroad bug after doing a course. Mainly looking to do beach (Bribie, Noosa Nth Shore, Straddie, Moreton), Glasshouse Mtns/ Scenic Rim type driving and camping. Have done Noosa and Moreton already stock with no dramas but would appreciate the extra ground clearance around the rocky type hill tracks. Just waiting on Fulcrum at Yerongpilly to get back to me with a spring upgrade quote and will look at the Einbach springs. I have further interest on the legal status of doing both springs and tyres if anyone has any current update on that in QLD?

·
Registered
53 Posts
As of sometime last year you're fine to do both in QLD (you can only get so much lift on the DS so the limits don't come into it), it was the combination which was not allowed in the past.

When you get the springs done, make sure they don't break the brake-wear sensors. Mine were damaged during the install which I later found out.

The spring lift will help you the most when the car is loaded up - long beach access tracks like at Bribie will be a lot nicer to navigate. You won't have any vehicle related issues with standard beach/sand driving around SEQ then - unless you go looking for trouble

Reactions: DiscoJack

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks. Who did your spring lift if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks. Who did your spring lift if you don't mind me asking?
British Offroad on the Sunny Coast, they did a reasonable job but went over time and over budget (and broke my sensors). Still, I would say it's probably only smart to take the job to a shop that has done the task before. The rear's are a pain apparently. Check that you don't have Adaptive Dynamics option before you buy or book anything.

Reactions: DiscoJack

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks. I've emailed them earlier this week and waiting to hear back. Also spoke to Fulcrum in Yerongpilly so I'll see what they come back with. Really appreciate your insight. Cheers

101 - 120 of 126 Posts