Discovery Sport Forum banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the reply, mate - very reassuring. I only got back into town yesterday morning so haven’t had a chance to ask BOR. Will be giving them a call in the morning.

In other news, I took off the plastic engine bay underbody protector this morning and found that I have an oil leak, seemingly spraying under pressure. Somewhere near the front, down low. That one will be a dealer question I suspect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
First day out on the beach today after the upgrades. It’s vastly better than it was before, both in having enough clearance to not be scraping all the time and in having traction and “bite” to climb out of the ruts and change direction any time I want to.

Thanks again @nigmar28 for showing the way. Highly recommended for anybody who wants to have a “Land Rover experience” in a Discovery Sport.

Low tyre pressure, sand mode, stability control disabled, “S” on the dial for fully manual gear selection. Didn’t even once feel like I was at risk of getting stuck. Love it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hey Terry,
Great to hear. The DS is really quite capable with only the very simplest of mods. Makes you wonder why they don't offer an option for a slightly more extreme version. What was the outcome of the noise in the front?

Also I haven't seen any pics, can you try to post again?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would... but this forum software makes it too much like hard work. There are some pics on my “Learning to 4WD” thread over on AULRO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure if this is of interest to any but here is my new setup on replica rims 18x8 with 45 offset. I went with KO2 in 255/55/18. Ride much better then the 20" stock setup and meets my outdoor purposes year round. I wanted the setup to look at stock as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Maverick,
Live in Brissie and thanks all for the very useful info. Also doing a Fraser trip shortly in my new DS so really interesting thread.
Presume you didn't do any lift kit?
Cheers
No lift kit and fully stock suspension with no dynamics. Planning to change shocks in the future to Bilstein.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cheers Maverick - thanks heaps for the response.
Is there a performance issue with the BFs 255/55r18 why you want to change the shocks?

·
Registered
17 Posts
No issues. Just want to improve the ride characteristics. In no rush to make the change anytime soon. I've put Bilsteins on all my cars. Just feel like the Bilstein improve the wallow effect from side to side and front to back. They are better at controlling suspension movement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice set of shoes Maverick. I was so close to going BFG's but settled on the Grabbers instead. Kind of wished I spent the extra now, but I guess in all honesty I have stuck to the 20's for daily use (so the 18's only come out at play time). 18's do look better on it though :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Guys,
Just thought I'd share some pics of my DS. Factory black 19 inch rims with 255 55 R19 Cooper LTZ Tyres. I have also done a spring upgrade using Eibach Springs. Total lift is 60mm including tyres. Pics are taken on Moreton Island, Australia. All sand driving. The DS didn't even look like getting stuck even when the bigger Nissan Patrols were having a hard time :D. My wife is 170cm tall to give you an idea of height.
What a difference a year makes :)

Last I checked there seemed to be no options for a good lift + tyre upgrade on a DS

Thankyou nigmar for working it out!

I'm *seriously* considering both the Eibach kit + the LTZ tyres for my MY2017 DS HSE with the 19" rims.

Any issues? Anyone recommend someone near Sydney to get the work done?

Did you end up getting the RIVAL bash plates?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Checking into the legalities... in NSW at least, AFAIK, upto a 50mm suspension lift is legal, or a 75mm lift with tyres as well, as long as the tyres do not increase more than 7% over the largest OEM specification.

The 20" RIMs use a 245/45/R20 tyre, and comparing that to the 255/55/R19 is only a 5% increase (versus 9% against the OEM R19 tyres)

Thus I believe a 60mm total lift with only 5% from larger tyres compared to OEM R20 fitment, should be legal without certification, providing headlights etc don't dazzle.

Sound right?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not quite right. I was confusing width. But still just a 5% increase in diameter.

Eibach got the springs to me next day. Super impressed. Got the car booked in with Opposite Lock to install in a few weeks.

Is it okay to install the tires before the lift?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not quite right. I was confusing width. But still just a 5% increase in diameter.

Eibach got the springs to me next day. Super impressed. Got the car booked in with Opposite Lock to install in a few weeks.

Is it okay to install the tires before the lift?
Bit late in reply, but yes, no issues in putting tyres on prior to springs. In fact when the wheel alignment is done after the spring install, it'll work better to have the tyres on there too.

Did you get the work done yet? Happy with the setup?

·
Registered
2 Posts
No issues. Just want to improve the ride characteristics. In no rush to make the change anytime soon. I've put Bilsteins on all my cars. Just feel like the Bilstein improve the wallow effect from side to side and front to back. They are better at controlling suspension movement.
Hi Maverick, could you share the Bilstein part number when do you do make the switch?

Thanks Nigmar28 like the other says for leading the way! I'm thinking of ordering the Eibach kit but wondering if I should wait until someone comes out with a kit that comes with shocks replacement (or find some Bilstein meant for the lift). My other car has air suspension and when it's a the highest setting it feels like the wheels want to bounce off as if there's no damping from the shocks; thinking the shocks were only meant to deal with wheel travel in the regular height setting. You haven't noticed this on your lift so far so 30mm isn't too much of a difference for the OEM shocks?

I've got the Rival full set skid plate kit on order waiting to ship hopefully before Christmas, think skid plate and a minor lift is all I will do to the DS

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Maverick, could you share the Bilstein part number when do you do make the switch?

Thanks Nigmar28 like the other says for leading the way! I'm thinking of ordering the Eibach kit but wondering if I should wait until someone comes out with a kit that comes with shocks replacement (or find some Bilstein meant for the lift). My other car has air suspension and when it's a the highest setting it feels like the wheels want to bounce off as if there's no damping from the shocks; thinking the shocks were only meant to deal with wheel travel in the regular height setting. You haven't noticed this on your lift so far so 30mm isn't too much of a difference for the OEM shocks?

I've got the Rival full set skid plate kit on order waiting to ship hopefully before Christmas, think skid plate and a minor lift is all I will do to the DS

At this time only fronts Bilstein are available since the part number for Evoque/DS are the same. The rears are different since they use a different suspension design compared to the Evoque.

41 - 60 of 111 Posts