Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just picked up '17 Discovery HSE Lux from Carmax last week.

Tinted the windows the following day.
Installed the Weathertech floormats yesterday as well as window deflectors.

Working on the black badges, new D3S Bulbs 5500K, re-badge as a Range Rover, black roof wrap and A pillar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could absolutely do that.

Completely fine with people in the know laughing at me.
I imagine 90% of people where I live (Los Angeles) aren't in the know of different Land Rover/Range Rover models.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no real "point" to it or many of my modifications, just cosmetics and that I have plenty of time during the holidays and the weather in Los Angeles is good enough for me to do some work on the car during the Winter.

My story with Land Rover isn't as colorful as many of the people here on the forum.
It started with moving to the West Side of Los Angeles and seeing "Range Rovers" everywhere.

I've always found it strange that the:

Range Rover
Range Rover Sport
Range Rover Velar
Range Rover Evoque

all display "Range Rover" on the back.

However when you move to the Discovery model, it loses the "Range Rover" name and that reads "Discovery" on the back.
Many people in Los Angeles recognize all Land Rovers as "Range Rovers". Not a "Land Rover Range Rover Sport" Or a "Land Rover Discovery Sport" but as just "Range Rover"
That's not to blame them, it's what's displayed on the badge as people drive.

I think to fall in line with the other models it makes sense to have "Range Rover" on the back and piggy back on the notoriety of the brand.
I've also always preferred the badging of "Range Rover" over "Discovery".

Absolutely not a point to re-badge it, but just wanted to share some of my insight.
That and I have a cousin who promises me the the "Range Rover" badges will add on 25 HP.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Duh

Range Rover and Land Rover are separate lines. GM has Cadillac and Chevrolet but they are different Brands.

But Posers will be Posers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that the case?
Again, I'm new the this product line so I don't really know the history, branding, or product line differentiation.

My understanding is:

Land Rover is the manufacture and Range Rover is a product line, with multiple styles. (Evoque, Velar, Sport etc)
Jaguar Land Rover is the company that owns Land Rover.

Cadillac is a manufacture and the Escalade is a product.
Chevrolet is a manufacture and the Corvette is a product.
General Motors is the company that owns Chevrolet and Cadillac.

I'm not sure the Land Rover/Range Rover is an good comparison of GM/Cadillac & Chevrolet.
Perhaps you are looking for Jaguar Land Rover/ Land Rover as a more direct comparison?

Not sure how a Discovery is posing to be a Range Rover is such a stretch. To me, they are very similar.
People who have seen my car have said "Oh you got a Range Rover". Not a that I purchased "Discovery/Discovery Sport"

Maybe if you take a look at the Cadillac line, a CT4 with CTS or XTS badging, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Or a Chevrolet Colorado to a Silverado, I couldn't tell them apart. I think most people would refer to it as "Chevy" or in "You got a Cadillac"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts