Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres been a couple hints regarding people wanting to install a sub in their Disco Sport but haven't seen anyone do it yet. My 17 SE upgraded stereo lacked a bottom end so I decided to have a talk with service and pursue a simple sub install. Here's what I came up with.

Amp: Alpine 300w Class D monoblock MRV-M500
Sub: Pioneer 10" Shallow Mount TS-SW2501S2|S4
Box type: Sealed .3cu ft fiberglass enclosure w/ 3/4" MDF baffle
Box location (factory sub, passenger cargo area)
Wiring: 4ga power, 12ga speaker

OEM speaker wires to tap:
Driver FL Bass
+ White / Violet
- White / Orange

Driver FR Bass
+ White
- White / Brown

I'm not extremely satisfied with the Pioneer 10" but for 60 bucks on Amazon, what do you expect? I might upgrade to a Dayton Audio DVC 10" if it'll fit within the Q numbers of my tiny box.

Power wire ran to the battery. Hidden under the OEM cowl

Power wire poked through the OEM cluster master Cylinder grommet Ran through loom for foot protection and chase the driver kick panel.

Wire continues to run in the OEM harness chase to under the driver seat

Speaker level input tapped from the front mid-bass drivers. Soldered, tapped and zip tied. Color codes listed above.

Bass Knob wiring ran behind the center console shelf. Phone cord tied tightly and ran under the carpet using the factory harness chase.

Bass Knob double side tapped in hidden view

Speake wire ran to the back using the OEM chase. This one was a bit tricky. You can see the 12ga romex I used as a pull. After it wraps around the spare tire well to the rear cargo area. No panels pulled which was nice.

Factory Amp location under the driver seat. The Alpine Class D sits nicely next to it. Only suspended by open cell foam for noise. This amp runs cool so am not worried about heat issues.

Box area tapped for glass mold.

Initial mold made. I re-fitted the mold again and glassed 3 additional layers for strength.

Front baffle cut and fiberglassed to the existing box.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Nice!
You must be an audio installation pro ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did SQ competitions back in my 20's. I really liked the Disco Sport but have to say even the 380w Meridian stereo is crying for a little bottom end. For anyone who didn't want to build a custom box, there are plenty of shallow subwoofers + shallow boxes and would fit in the spare tire area. OR build one out of MDF as a weekend project :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the basic stereo in mine. Bought the car off the lot. So I would like to eventually add a XM receiver and a sub.... eventually. Maybe something to raise the boost on the Turbo as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had one done and its awesome!! They did an professional job hiding it behind the rear passenger side seat, amps and processor in the wheel well and still can have a spare in it. 800 watt Audison controlled It rocks now.

Check them out Your Delaware Home Theater / Car Audio Experts - Sound FX

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
387 Posts
Both look nice and not sure what the sound is like in either. But I do like the way the speakers are hidden with Imdomino's setup they look like factory. But the work on the new enclosure sure makes some use out of the little nook in the trunk.

IN the UK owners are told if they even change a rear lamp to LED it could in validate the warranty. LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
There is something to consider when you disconnect the battery to expand the seat?
Disconnect the battery minus 30 minutes and wait for the airbags.
Can the minus then simply re-attach? Or something has to be programmed again or Navi memory card again? Enter a reactivation code?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Great job! My window sticker says I have a sub, if so, i can't hear it. I can't even find it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks Sweet. I do Miss my LR4 Premium audio with the 8 inch sub under the seat. The upgraded audio in this is decent but i agree missing the punch.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The next time I go up to the dealership I'm going to take the window sticker. I'm going to have somebody come out my car and physically show me where that "sub" is. LOL
If it is not in my car then Land Rover will be putting one in for me. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The next time I go up to the dealership I'm going to take the window sticker. I'm going to have somebody come out my car and physically show me where that "sub" is. LOL
If it is not in my car then Land Rover will be putting one in for me. I guess we'll see.
In my LR4 it was under the passenger seat. I havent checked under mine yet but maybe it is there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no, its in the passenger rear cargo area only on the HSE and HSE Lux models w/ the Meridian upgrade.

SE + Meridian gets nothing :p

·
Registered
590 Posts
no, its in the passenger rear cargo area only on the HSE and HSE Lux models w/ the Meridian upgrade.

SE + Meridian gets nothing :p
We'll see. I have the HSE Lux. I don't have the Meridian system but it clearly says that I have a subwoofer in my additional options list.
If it's not there I'll give my dealers a chance to install one. If not I'll open a case with LRUSA. I'll either get the subwoofer or something equivalent before I'm done.
Then again it might be in there somewhere, it's not in the cargo area, and I'll chill out and just continue on with my undetectable subwoofer. Lol!!

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
we finished running the wires an racs to the spare tie wheel.

I think we are going to suspense a sub from the rear cover (JL TW3 in powerwedge box) and the amp from there too. Should keep it very clean looking and hopefully ad a little extra bass that the 11 speaker system is totally missing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Theres been a couple hints regarding people wanting to install a sub in their Disco Sport but haven't seen anyone do it yet. My 17 SE upgraded stereo lacked a bottom end so I decided to have a talk with service and pursue a simple sub install. Here's what I came up with.

Amp: Alpine 300w Class D monoblock MRV-M500
Sub: Pioneer 10" Shallow Mount TS-SW2501S2|S4
Box type: Sealed .3cu ft fiberglass enclosure w/ 3/4" MDF baffle
Box location (factory sub, passenger cargo area)
Wiring: 4ga power, 12ga speaker

OEM speaker wires to tap:
Driver FL Bass
+ White / Violet
- White / Orange

Driver FR Bass
+ White
- White / Brown

I'm not extremely satisfied with the Pioneer 10" but for 60 bucks on Amazon, what do you expect? I might upgrade to a Dayton Audio DVC 10" if it'll fit within the Q numbers of my tiny box.

Power wire ran to the battery. Hidden under the OEM cowl

Power wire poked through the OEM cluster master Cylinder grommet Ran through loom for foot protection and chase the driver kick panel.

Wire continues to run in the OEM harness chase to under the driver seat

Speaker level input tapped from the front mid-bass drivers. Soldered, tapped and zip tied. Color codes listed above.

Bass Knob wiring ran behind the center console shelf. Phone cord tied tightly and ran under the carpet using the factory harness chase.

Bass Knob double side tapped in hidden view

Speake wire ran to the back using the OEM chase. This one was a bit tricky. You can see the 12ga romex I used as a pull. After it wraps around the spare tire well to the rear cargo area. No panels pulled which was nice.

Factory Amp location under the driver seat. The Alpine Class D sits nicely next to it. Only suspended by open cell foam for noise. This amp runs cool so am not worried about heat issues.

Box area tapped for glass mold.

Initial mold made. I re-fitted the mold again and glassed 3 additional layers for strength.

Front baffle cut and fiberglassed to the existing box.

Thanks for the pics!

We ran wires this weekend, installed a line level converted next to the factory amp.

We took a different approach to the sub box though.

We mounted the amp to the bottom of the cargo floor, as well as a subbox with foam resting between the spare tire and the subbox.

We are starting with JL Audio 10" shallow mount pre loaded powerwedge CS110LG-TW3 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Systems - PowerWedge? - JL Audio

That has plenty of room to clear the spare tire and cover (at least we think it does measuring!) Sub comes today. Will post pictures.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts