Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - so the DS has to go in for the 10K mile service as recommended by the dealer when I picked up the lease.
Any ideas what to expect?

I'm told this is quite pricey... ($400 dollar range?) but besides that point, what do they actually do? (I get my truck serviced every 5000 miles and it's not that much)...What should I make sure they check and replace?
Referring to stuff besides the obvious oil change and tire rotation.

I think definitely need new wiper blades. And need them to check some ticking in the driver door.

Thanks in advance!

-Anthony

·
Registered
588 Posts
I just had my first service done when my phone app reminded me of service due....

The dealer quoted over $300 to do an oil change.

So I took mine to a qualified independent that has the JLR diagnostic equipment to connect your car to their computer, change the oil and to reset the service indicators.

Cost: $95 for oil change, filter, fluid top off, tire rotation, and service light reset.

OP:
As for the wiper blades, just measure the size and get it at Autozone.
The ticking noise is a known issue - see the recent post by the admin: "What to dislike about..."

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just had my first service done when my phone app reminded me of service due....

The dealer quoted over $300 to do an oil change.

So I took mine to a qualified independent that has the JLR diagnostic equipment to connect your car to their computer, change the oil and to reset the service indicators.

Cost: $95 for oil change, filter, fluid top off, tire rotation, and service light reset.

OP:
As for the wiper blades, just measure the size and get it at Autozone.
The ticking noise is a known issue - see the recent post by the admin: "What to dislike about..."
Any recommendations on a independent that has the JLR diagnostic equipment?
I assume some of the big national chains have the necessary equipment?

Also - I am guessing it doesn't make a difference in the lease terms if I take it to a qualified independent?
400+ for an oil change, filter, and tire rotation is a little much...

·
Registered
588 Posts
I would "Yelp.com" your area for a European service dealer that handles JLR since you are in Boston.

My indy in Southern California is a trusted honest mechanic who was a master mechanic for Penske auto group and went independent. He has worked on my: Land Rover LR3, BMW 3, 5 and X5s, Mercedes R350, and many Japanese cars for many years...

No, it would not make a difference if the service was done outside the dealer. You need to keep records of the service and make sure the mechanic can reset the service interval indicator on the car.
As long as the fluids and parts are manufacturer compliant with an OEM - you should have no issues with the lease return...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had my 10K mile service done a the dealership. It was the last time I will do that. It cost nearly $600 and there were no value adds at all. They could have at least cleaned the leather seats.... I am not even certain what they did other than change the oil and inspect filters. Apparently there are several grease points as well.

In addition, as I am nearing 20K miles, I checked my service schedule and it is laid out in 16K increments (unless you are driving in unusual circumstances). Therefore, the dealerships are telling us 10K but the service schedule says 16K. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Are you sure the service listed at 16K wasn't in kilometers? 16,000 kilometers is just about 10,000 miles...

Also, as I recall from the manual, the service intervals listed several models, so make sure you are looking at the correct one...(don't have the manual in my hand to confirm, just relying on memory:eek:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have done my first two services myself, using LR spec supplies. So far I have never had a service interval reminder come up in the truck, nor have I done anything to reset it. I wonder if there is some kind of sensor that is monitoring oil condition, or if the service interval function in our truck is broken.

I did try to follow the manual guidance to access the service interval data in the trucks menus and it simply is not present.

At some point I need to take it in for the license plate recall, and now I have a email from LR about some kind of software upgrade, which I am reluctant to install given how stable all the electronics have been for the last year.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The service indicator seems to be a CBS (condition based service) like my BMW - depending on how you drive the car, how many miles one way, if the engine warmed up (drive cycle), length of last service in months, etc... Does not appear to be just miles only....

I found the same issue - the service indicator did not show in the car.

I found out when I used my phone app to check on the location of the car and journey logs.

On the bottom of the screen, there was a service reminder in amber....

·
Registered
211 Posts
dgrant - I looked at the service maintenance schedule that can with my owners manual, etc. That document covers all models of Land Rover/Range Rover. The section for Land Rover Discovery Sport in my manual shows oil change at 10,000 mile intervals (I think the Range Rover Sport was 16,000 miles).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Brought car in for first yearly service and cost was $0.00 which was nice. Car was in the shop from 9 A.M. to 4 P.M. and they did multiple software upgrades, changed out the O2 sensor and cleaned the car. So they probably spent no more than an hour on the service itself. The service rep told me that the first service is very intense and normally costs $600 Cdn ( but it free for everyone:confused:) and next service is about $250 including parts.

Car was in service for one year but no warning came up on the dash, some hogwash about the car giving owners more time before bring the car in for service.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've had two oil changes. I just tell them to change the oil only. First time was $150, second time was $135 with a 10% off service coupon that JLR sent in the mail. I get tire rotations for free at Discount Tire. When the engine and cabin filters need to be replaced, I'll get them at half the cost at Atuozone and and change them myself.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Car was in service for one year but no warning came up on the dash, some hogwash about the car giving owners more time before bring the car in for service.
Was now told by a dealer that there is a software update because the service warning does not work on most cars,,,,HMMMM do I want a warning that has to be reset at the dealer????

·
Registered
54 Posts
Was now told by a dealer that there is a software update because the service warning does not work on most cars,,,,HMMMM do I want a warning that has to be reset at the dealer????
Is this true? I thought they said 12k miles, and we're very near that now. My Audi start's letting me know 1000 miles or 4 weeks before it's service interval....

EDIT: yep, in the book it say 10k. Dang....

M

·
0 Posts
Is this true? I thought they said 12k miles, and we're very near that now. My Audi start's letting me know 1000 miles or 4 weeks before it's service interval....

I started getting a "reminder" at 6,200 miles - 3,800 before the 10K service interval - though it says service is due at 8,200 miles (if you do the math), not 10,000(maybe even before that - might not have noticed). Really, do I need reminding 3-4 months out?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I started getting a "reminder" at 6,200 miles - 3,800 before the 10K service interval - though it says service is due at 8,200 miles (if you do the math), not 10,000(maybe even before that - might not have noticed). Really, do I need reminding 3-4 months out?
Well we got nothing. I get the "Wiper fluid low" all the time, a couple low tires.... but not service.

On one hand: I should have know better
On the other hand: Good job British programmers
On the other other hand: I'm glad this is a lease. We'll be getting into a new one, with hopefully less gremlins, when this lease is up.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts