Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
654 Posts
Surprised that there is nothing on the UK forum regarding engine failure caused by oil pump.

·
Super Moderator
654 Posts
We've just had the exact same thing too on a 2015 Discovery Sport. Dash advised "Oil Critically Low" and then about 250m later engine failed. Diagnosis was a complete engine replacement at £12.5k.

Have any of you managed to claim any compensation through Jaguar Landrover? I just don't have many £12.5k cheque's kicking around.

If I had a message saying oil level was critically low, I may have not driven the car.

·
Super Moderator
654 Posts
Curious to how much oil the engine was using between oil changes, and did the level drop quickly since the last time oil was checked?

·
Super Moderator
654 Posts
Ask about cost of a rebuild from independent garage, or cost for an engine from a wrecked vehicle.

For the rest of us,,, check the oil level at least every second fuel up. Carry a spare litre of oil with you.

·
Super Moderator
654 Posts
Thanks for getting back Sarah, it sounds like you received some help..

LOL maybe I should tell you my tale of woe with Audi, including the engine actually falling out .

Heads up for everyone to check engine oil levels when filling.

·
Super Moderator
654 Posts
DJ 12 10
Curious about how much oil your car was using? You said there was no oil in the engine when the service guy checked it, but how many miles or kilometres had it travelled since level was last checked?

Also I see you are driving a full size Discovery 5 and not a Discovery Sport

·
Super Moderator
654 Posts
Curious, did you not check oil level on a regular schedule? I think all manufacturers recommend checking level with each fuel fill. Landrover says weekly.

I check my level monthly and just before a road trip and after the trip. I also carry a litre of oil in the trunk.

·
Super Moderator
654 Posts
Hi All,

One of the most serious issues with these engines is the DPF exhaust filter. If you do lots of short trips like i do, the exhaust filter gets filled up and the car injects FUEL into the exhaust to increase its temperature to burn out (clean) the filter, some of this fuel, then ENTERS BACK INTO OUR ENGINE, DILUTING THE OIL. Its called 'Oil Dilution'. Land Rovers only resolution about this was to change the owners handbook to state that 'engine service intervals will depend on your driving style', rather than x miles or 12 months. QUOTE]
During regeneration the injectors pulse more during each power stroke, injecting fuel directly into the engine. The same method is used in almost all modern Diesel engines. It can result in fuel in the oil and the need for more checks and maintenance.

My manual mentions more service may be required depending on driving conditions. Landrover then states that cars in Canada should follow severe driving conditions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts