LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-21-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Advice please ....odd ride feel

Hi
I am (or my wife is) a new owner of a 2017 Discovery Sport. Three weeks and we are very happy but there is one issue and I would welcome forum advice before I take it to the dealer. It is a HSE riding on 18 inch Continentals. We live in South Maryland which is pothole central. I have noticed that when hitting a bad fitting manhole cover or pothole at a anything over 30mph the car literally skips to one side. It feels like an older double cab / pickup with no load that can be skittish. I have checked the tire pressure and reduced just below normal but it still does it and when the tires are warm it is more prominent. Interestingly we picked up a new gill recently which was heavy and it appeared to reduce the effect. It appears to be the back tire/ suspension that is causing the issue and I as already mentioned I can only explain it is a bounce/ skip action and the whole vehicle is jumping to one side. Interestingly I had someone tailgating me the other day and I hit a pothole and the whole car skipped and immediately the guy behind me dropped back as though he could see something was odd. Has anyone experienced anything similar? For daily driving are people using the lower low load or normal tire pressure setting? The manual as two pressures but the sticker on the vehicle only 1.
Thanks
post #2 of 7 Old 02-21-2017, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Since the Disco is still new, I'd honestly go back to the dealer and test drive another with the exact same wheel package. If the new vehicle doesn't work this than you know yours has an issue. Could also add a variable and drive one with different wheel options

In response, we have crap roads here in California and I haven't experienced any type of rear end jiggle or strafing with my 17 Disco on Conti 18's.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-21-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I am thinking something is wrong with it so will end up at the dealer!

post #4 of 7 Old 02-21-2017, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
chasw -

I haven't experienced that in the DS, but we don't have many big potholes here (Dallas area). I do recall my Jeep Grand Cherokee (1990 or so as I recall - long time ago!) did the same thing - hit a bump and go flying sideways. I remember that was due to the live rear axle. I would think 25+ years later, and on a Land Rover, that they would have this sorted. If it wasn't a new car, I would think there was something broken (maybe a big pothole did break something). I'd take it in to be looked at - definitely doesn't sound normal...

Mine is a daily driver, and I use the lower load settings for tire pressures (though a bit higher in the rear).

2016 Disco Sport HSE, Corris Grey/Black Pack, Driver Assist Plus, Vision Assist, Climate Comfort, Protection Pack, 3rd row 5+2, Gloss Black Roof Rails
post #5 of 7 Old 02-21-2017, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
yea... I'm thinking toe out " / / or \ \ " in the rear will cause the car to squirt out. You'll see this with a live axle as well if your truck is crabbing. Racking will show its ugly face easily.

A simple test drive of another car at the dealer will reveal if you need to have yours serviced as a warranty or alignment problem.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-22-2017, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Sounds like an alignment issue.

The dealer should check the toe, camber, caster - make sure you ask them to give you the numbers of the alignment.

I have the 18" on mine and have never felt that issue.

Having had 2 different tire manufacturers to say this: stock OEM Conti and my current winter Blizzaks - no difference in ride or any skipping feel.

2016 DS HSE - 5+2 3rd Row, Climate Comfort, Driver Assistance +, Audio Upgrade, Gloss Black Roof Rails
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-23-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quick update. Took it to the dealer today. The head technician did a quick walk around and booked it in. No driving and spotted something immediately. He could see issues with camber. So I have a nicer loaner! Watch this space.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page