Discovery Sport Forum banner

Added roof rails

16K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  flatsix 
#1 ·
New owner here....I posted an introduction in the new owner section. Actually got it last month, and a couple days ago received the black roof rails from Niello. Installed them in less than 30 minutes.....here are some pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
haha...3M tape. That's funny.

You know, I haven't ridden in or driven it since I installed them. Cross bars are separate either from the dealer (I think LR units are Thule), or from someone else. I'll probably go with the Rola units mentioned by a couple people elsewhere on this forum.

Do you need tools to install? A 13mm socket..that's it. I have the pano roof though keep in mind...the non-pano roofs have a similar install but need finishing parts that go over the roof gutters. You'll see that in the LR parts accessories list.

So basically you remove two plastic covers at the front sides of the roof towards the windshield, and two plastic covers at the rear sides of the roof above the rear side windows ahead of the rear hatch. Once removed you see threaded bolts that are built into the body of the truck.

In the roof rail kit are metal mounts that mount onto these bolts which are fastened down with the included 13mm nuts. Once the six mounts are in place (two at front, two at 3/4 rear, two at rear), then you take the rail itself and place onto these mounts which then fasten with 13mm bolts. Again, took me less than 30 minutes to complete.

#5 ·
I installed roof rails a couple of weeks ago as well. Easy as pie (except in Texas, mid-day sun, black roof - ouch).

So far no noticeable wind noise, but I haven't added cross bars yet. Will probably go the Thule route. Will decide how the cross bars look, and the wind noise, and then determine whether to remove them unless I need them.

#9 ·
I just had mine installed by the dealer. they were part of my negotiation to purchase car. I must say the OEM ones look really nice and my cross rails have a nice discovery logo on them looks really good.

#12 ·
It doesnt look like they installed anything new on mine but im not sure. Call James Worm the parts guy at Niello he was very helpful when i ordered my waterproof liner for cargo area.

#13 ·
You don't need anything else if you have the pano roof. The extra parts are to fill in the gap if you do not have the pano roof.

#14 ·
I just wanted to add my experience with roof rail and cross bar installation. I bought the parts from Niello Land Rover in Rocklin CA and had them shipped to So Cal. The rail and cross bars arrived within days and the installation was really easy.

The most difficult part of the installation was the Ikea like instructions which had only pictures to work with. If you are looking to do this yourself, take your time and go step by step and you shouldn't have any issues. The best part of the installation is that I saved a load of cash compared to what the dealer wanted for the rails and bars. They also quoted me 4 hrs for the install, I did the rails and cross bars in just under 2 hrs.

Looking forward to putting the skis on the rack and going to the Sierras!

#17 ·
The roof rails and cross bars are purchased separately. I go everything from Niello. These guys are awesome and will work with you over the phone to make sure you have the correct parts.

The cross bars are aerodynamic and don't make much noise. I also installed Yakima ski racks to the cross bars, these were very noisy. Now that ski season is over, I removed the Yakima racks and the noise level is back to normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.