Discovery Sport Forum banner

Cabin Filter Location

34K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Davin2424 
#1 ·
Hi

I was thinking of changing my pollen/cabin filter but couldn't figure out where it was located! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Just did this today (sorry did not take pictures). The pollen filter is behind the center console, it is access by removing the panel below the glove box on the passenger side, this is near the fuses that are behind the glove box. There are three (3) clips at the bottom edge furthest away from the windshield. Once you have that off look under the dash, toward the center console and you will see a white door with three spots where is clips closed, in our discovery, one of the clips was partially blocked by a metal tab on the bracket that secures the fuse box and wiring loom to the firewall, I had to bend that in a bit to allow me to unclip and remove the white door. Once the door is off you have access to the filter, although there is not clearance to pull it straight out, so you need to bend it in as you pull the filter out. Take care to note the direction of the air flow (toward the passenger compartment) so that you put it back the right way. To install just reverse the procedure.

#4 ·
I found and used Fram filters for all of the 1) cabin filter - FRAM CF10435 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter, 2) Air Filter - FRAM CA11485 Flexible Panel Air Filter, and 3) Oil Filter - FRAM Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter, XG3614. You can also find the Mahle filters on Amazon, the cabin and air filters that I pulled out were LR original and marked with the Mahle brand when I pulled them out.

#6 ·
Once I bent the one metal bracket out of the way, I was able to release the top two with finger pressure and the bottom one I gently used a flat head screwdriver to pry again the bent metal bracket to free it. Once you get the three loose my dropped free from the opposite side, it looks like a hinge but does not act as one, just a lip to hold the door on.

Clearly not meant to be an easy DYI job, maybe this is how they justify $500 to $600 for this service?

#9 ·
cabin air filter replacement

replacing the cabin air/pollen filter in the 2016 LR discovery sport wasn't on the minds of the design engineers. it is a pain but as with so many things, it's easier the second time and easier because of people posting helpful info so hoping to give back.

there is no need to remove or go through the glove box like other vehicles.

i just used fingernail but could use small flathead screwdriver to pop off the 3 tabs under the glove box. then the black cover just comes out easily.

then on my back on the floor board (i'm not a huge guy at 5'11 190 but it's a tight fit) i located the white plastic cover to the filter compartment. it is against the console side and has 3 tabs and is clearly the size and shape to match the filter. it also has 3 hinge-like lips on the opposite side.

to open the "door" to the filter compartment, you have to pull the 3 tabs just a bit to get them free but the problem is that there is a metal tab in front of one and a plastic electric connected in front of the middle one. i just slightly bent the metal one out of the way with pliers and pulled the plastic connector out of the two holes it is connected through. you have to be pretty forceful but just pull straight out and it will pop out without damaging the plunger like connectors. you can simply put it back when done.

then it was fairly easy to get the door off and filter out. i bought a fram engine air filter and it was good and easy to install with a phillips screwdriver. but i also bought a fram fresh breeze cabin filter with arm and hammer and it fell apart when i bent it to try to install it (necessary to bend it like a slinky). it's actually cheaper to buy the mahle and is better quality. manipulating the filter like a slinky, you can insert it and reinstall the door.

took me a long time to do the first time trying to figure it out but i would guess no more than :15 next time.

#10 ·
Oh...My....GOD!!!! Whoever designed this set up should be drawn and quartered! This is the most difficult one I've ever seen. I want the head of the guy who signed off on this terrible design!

Took me 2 GD hours and ended up breaking 1/2 of the clips on the retainer door. Getting the new filter in is really difficult because of the angle (even though there is a slot to guide the top).

It's similar to the Evoque which has videos on YouTube, but the Discovery has the added "feature" of not being able to remove the electrical brackets.

#11 ·
Have not changed my pollen filter yet but horror stories make it sound very bad. I am a huge guy and not looking forward to it. I saw a write up on the UK forum and it seemed easier, but no glove box in the way.

My last 2 cars have had the filter under the hood with nothing in the way. Open a couple of clips and filters pop out 5 minute job.

#12 ·
Thanks, Lenvo65, for your instructions. I tackled the cabin filter, in my 2016 LR Disco Sport, today using your instructions.

Like others have said, the guy(s) who designed this portion should be taken out back and shot!

Took about an hour and 15 minutes, but got her all done.

Next up, I have the K&N air filter coming in the mail in a few days. Seems to be a cake walk compared to the cabin filter...

#14 ·
MANN has instructions on-line for replacing the filter. I tried to upload the file to here, but it is too large (it's only 1.5 MB). They don't list it on their US site, but they do on their EU site.

You will have to search for it. I don't have enough posts to be able to have the post the link.

#17 ·
I'm not sure of what the magic post count is to add links to websites, but if you put the above website together, it will get you to the instructions. It covers the Freelander II, Evoque, and some Volvos.

#19 ·
I changed my cabin air filter today. It wasn't bad. Took me 20 mins or so. I went with an OEM filter from the dealership since it was my first time changing this myself. I knelt on a boat cushion outside the passenger side door to access this.

I'm going to add on to Lenovo65's excellent instructions with some pictures.

I'm at 20k mi. and the cabin air filter was super grimy and had lot of particulate and pieces of leaves in it.

So, to take those clips off that hold that panel under the glove box. I'll show you in three steps. You can use a screw driver, but go ahead and get yourself a CHEAP plastic panel popper kit from Harbor Freight or Ebay. They're handy!
1) Position the tool as so.

2) Press towards the front of the vehicle to compress the clip.

3) Pry the clip downwards and it'll pop out. Then you can remove the panel.

The access door is white. The main hurdles for me where that white metal bracket, which I bent back a bit, and that electrical harness. I'm sure it pops off, but I didn't worry with that -- just worked around it. To remove the access door, pull the white tabs towards the rear of the vehicle to disengage the door, and slip it off (is a little more tricky than it looks, but you can do it).

The old filter came out pretty straightforward, although I had to yank it a bit to get it around those obstructions.

You've got to do some serious "FILTER YOGA" to get that new one in there. It's a combination of flexing, squeezing, and shimmying. I found most helpful to press the wires of that wiring harness towards the front of the vehicle to get a good angle.

Getting that door back on there is a little tricky, took a little doing, but got it. Buttoned backup, and works great!

#21 ·
Thanks for the instructions and detailed pictures. This seriously was a huge pain and was close to giving up. I didn't want to bend the metal tab and almost had the white tab off, then was pulling hard and ended up cracking the clip, still works though so could have been worse. Putting the new one in was also a huge task but with a few scrapes on my hands and a lot of swear words, finally got it done.

#22 ·
This thread was SO HELPFUL for me! I must say, I am a woman, and getting the new air filter shimmied back in was easier for me because I could get my smaller fingers in there to feel it in and guide it. My husband did have to help me with those pesky white clips. But we got it done, and pretty quickly. Thanks everyone for the great info!

#23 ·
Just did this tonight and yes.. a real pain in the rear ;) one note I would add... the electrical connectors both pop off that metal bracket relatively easy and make the job somewhat easier for sure, especially during the install of the new filter..

They are the "Christmas tree" type fastener and will come out.... I was able to massage pull each of them out carefully. The top one hs two to pop off and the bottom one is held in place with one. Hope that helps and good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.