Discovery Sport Forum banner

Steering vibration

8K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Palmero73 
#1 ·
I own a 2017 DS HSE with 17k miles and purchased it new in 2018 with 15 miles on it. Since purchase i've noticed the car have a slight vibration in the steering column at various speeds, but when on the highway at 80 mph (normal traffic flow) the whole car has a vibration. I've address the matter with 2 LR dealers on several occasions and had some work done to it by them, yet no solution to my satisfaction. Even the tires were replaced at their advise and still. Anyone have this issue as well? Thanks,

#5 ·
I've been trying to have LR and Pirelli acknowledge the issue, but it seems they are not willing too. LR claims it's the tires (Pirelli) and that it should be replaced. I contacted Pirelli and they agreed to address the matter. Three weeks later and nothing and the number they provided for a call back to them doesn't get you to anyone. It's a scam and i truly believe it's a defect in the car either with the drive shaft (not balanced to car specs) or the wheel hubs. In other words the car is poorly designed.

#8 ·
The vibrations could have several common causes.
Have you adjusted tire pressures to spec?
Have you tried the “Light Load” tire pressure setting?
Have you confirmed all four tires are identical?
You mention replacing tires? Was the replacement completed once, or are you still asking for this to be completed?
Have the tires been balanced?
Have you inspected for mud on the inside of each wheel?
Does this occur on some road surfaces or all road surfaces?

#9 ·
Hi,

The vehicle was in two different Land Rover Dealers and both providing slightly different responses.

Have you adjusted tire pressures to spec? I have and do so all the time.
Have you tried the “Light Load” tire pressure setting? I'll give it a try and see
Have you confirmed all four tires are identical? i have and they are all the same series and size, also the dealer i'm sure checked it several times.
You mention replacing tires? Was the replacement completed once, or are you still asking for this to be completed? car came with Continentals originally and after addressing the matter, the dealer replaced all 4 with Pirelli's.
Have the tires been balanced? They have and i'm sure several times as per every visit at the dealer
Have you inspected for mud on the inside of each wheel? i have and car is clean underneath
Does this occur on some road surfaces or all road surfaces? on all road surfaces.

#10 ·
I’ve had the same issue with my LR Disco Sport 2016 HSELux - we replaced all tires at 45000Km in April 2018 and now the car front tire is making a funny vibrating sound when going 60km+ We sent it in and they said the wheel bearings needed replacing. A few days later, the sound is coming from the right rear tire again. Now they’re saying we need to replace all 4 tires again - we are at 80K. Is it usual that with highway driving all four tires need replacing after just a bit over a year? Hope you can give me some advice on what to do next. Thanks!

#11 ·
I’m in the US and own a 2017 LR Discovery HSE with the same issue. Both LR dealers I’ve gone to seem state the issue is with the tires and not the car. I hardly believe it as they replaced the tires from its original Continentals to Pirellis within a year of purchase. I addressed it with LR USA and they got involved, but came back to state it’s a tire issue and that I need to resolve it with the tire manufacturer. In my personal opinion, I believe it’s a flaw, defect with the car in terms of the drive shaft that they don’t want to admit or replace. I honestly don’t know what else to do at this point.

#12 ·
I would have the dealer replace the tires, and recheck for the issue. Have them
keep the take-offs for you. If the issue persists, they will be forced to look for other solutions. And, you will have you next set of replacement tires already.

#13 ·
Sorry for the late response. I went that route and even though a tech road with me to confirm my argument, which he did. The dealer wanted me to purchase the tires, so they can test it and possibly not take responsibility for it. Originals that came with the car when purchased on 1/21/18 were Continental tires which caused me to address the matter. Then all 4 tires changed to Pirelli's on 04/15/18 only to have the same results, yet they kept claiming tire defect, which obviously made no sense having the same issue under 2 different manufacturers. Parsippany Land Rover in NJ was the servicing dealer.

#17 ·
I thought the same and asked the dealer to review it initially, but they insisted it was not and pushed initially with tire defect. Either dealer ( seller LR Manhattan, NY and service LR Parsippany, NJ ) claimed the same. I also assumed it could be a misaligned drive shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.