Discovery Sport Forum banner

CarPlay / AA Upgrade - Not possible?

64K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  Fayvir 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 2018 DS HSE.

It has the InTouch Pro / Meridian sound system.

Part of my negotiation was to have the pack installed to support CarPlay. Dealer just called and said when they attempted, they got a message that it was not compatible.

Does anyone have any experience that would prove, or disprove this?

When I upgraded my MX-5, I had to install new USB hardware that had the appropriate chip in it to allow the handshake with Apple. I'm assuming that is the problem here, but that may be a big assumption and if accurate, I have no clue if JLR is offering or supporting hardware upgrades, or not..

Dealer is supposedly reaching out to their reps, but just figured I'd see if anyone may be able to cut through some of the muddy water on this one.

#3 ·
Well, it turns out that even though dealers website and dealer said it’s a pro, based on reading now I see it is not. It has the hard buttons which appears to be the regular touch.

A little miffed at this point honestly as the dealer says it’s impossible to retrofit with a Touch Pro. Not sure what they are going to try to do for me at this point.

#5 ·
So, it seems like I'm SOL on this one. Shame on me for not doing enough research to realize this Disco has the regular Touch and not the Touch Pro system, but still a little miffed that the dealer not only advertised it as such, but even agreed for the free software upgrade to enable CarPlay as part of the deal.

From everything I can see, it can only be added to the Pro, and unless I'm missing something the dealership is right in that there is no way to upgrade the stereo hardware (which still seems really odd to me).

If anyone has successfully either upgraded a system (physically obviously) to a Pro, or has found a way to add CarPlay support to a standard Touch model (with Meridian sound if that matters), I would LOVE to hear about it.

Thanks all.

#7 ·
That is interesting. Am I reading things right that effectively it seems to be a "clone" of a Touch Pro system (largely)?

Did you have any problems in the other vehicles you've put these in (loss of default functionality / capabilities, etc...)?

Appreciate that link just can't seem to find much info out there other than their ads.

#8 ·
Each install was slightly different. The first was a standard headunit swap where I added the carplay dongle to the android headunit and there was no manufacture features to carry over other than steering wheel controls. The second was on a BMW with no nav or I-drive so the android upgrade had the capability to pull the BMW interface if it exsisted. It did add an I-drive like controller which didn't previously exist, and works great with all of the steering wheel controls, menus and carplay. The system linked above should function similarly to the BMW install with our factory interface being present as an option.

#9 ·
Thanks again for the reply.

I'd be willing to layout the cash, but not sure I want to be the first down this path given I can't seem to find one installed anywhere online.

My concern is the amount of integration that needs to be there given how much core functionality LR has made accessible only through the software interface (heated seat controls, climate options, cameras, park assist, etc, etc...).

Some of the electronics seem tenuous enough in stock form..

I may get the dealer to upgrade to the latest firmware at least (mine is a version behind which is odd as the "newest" seems to have come out late '17 and my DS is an '18...) and see how I get along.

Doesn't look likely, but maybe there's still a chance that LR will offer CarPlay support for the Standard Touch as well. A guy can hope.

If you decide to go for it, I'd love to hear how you make out.

#12 ·
So, just by way of update.... Still haven't decided what I'm going to do with the Carplay situation yet, but on the upside, the dealer has stepped up to the plate on the screwup...

Since they can't make the infotainment right, they are going to cover the cost (all hardware and labor) to install a full trailer hitch set-up. That's no small expense to cover so I'll give them credit on that where credit is due!

#26 ·
Hi Disco2112,

What did you end up doing in the end? I am in the same position (just bought my DS2018 with the old 8" intouch - not pro!). I found a company that installs a device behind the intouch module that is supposed to give Apple CarPlay and Android support; they are charging $1200 AUD fitted.

I still think it's strange that you can't replace the 8" with the 10" - especially since it would have been an option on the original build ! I would have paid good money to get the 10" incontrol pro!

Thanks

#17 ·
Car play touch screen

Hi, I was also looking for the 10" touch screen with android Auto and carplay, so I bought this product (link above)

So I should get it in 15 days.
I can send you pictures of the product, because the guy tested it before sending it, and sent me some pictures (not able to send picture in the forum now, should wait more post ???)

He says it was plug and play, but didn't say how to remove the plastic board to replace the old one without breaking something.
Do you know where I could find a description how to remove the touch screen ?

#23 ·
Hi, I was also looking for the 10" touch screen with android Auto and carplay, so I bought this product (link above)

So I should get it in 15 days.
I can send you pictures of the product, because the guy tested it before sending it, and sent me some pictures (not able to send picture in the forum now, should wait more post ???)

He says it was plug and play, but didn't say how to remove the plastic board to replace the old one without breaking something.
Do you know where I could find a description how to remove the touch screen ?

@wolfyinuk, have you been able to install and use the system? any feedback?

#18 ·
Touch screen 10 " replacement

This is the 10" model I bought, I can't wait to test it
So I should get this product in 7 days now
These are some pictures of the product, because the guy tested it before sending it, and sent me some pictures :
//i.imgur.com/EEl2VoH.png
//i.imgur.com/hb7lYho.jpg
//i.imgur.com/ENulPi3.jpg
//i.imgur.com/UlEO90O.jpg
//i.imgur.com/J4ShAmo.png

Sorry, not able to add direct link now on the forum, not yet allowed to publish pictures

#22 ·
Hi

I would advise you to hold on your decision to buy the car now. There is a newer model coming in 2020 which will have In Touch Control Pro as a standard fitting and it will also support Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Apart from the system there will be a few more upgrades to the design and other features.

#29 ·
According to my survey, there are only 3 ways to upgrade carplay.

1. It will cost at least $7000 upgrade to the original full touch 12‘screen system.

2. Purchase an external system in aftermarket and install it. The original Harman (NLI HU) and carpaly share the original monitor.

3. Replace Android directly, but there may be a bigger risk.

#30 ·
There is actually an option now to get CarPlay or Android Auto on the InControl touch (not the pro). Its a little android box that plugs into the main entertainment unit behind the climate controls. There are a couple of options as far as I have seen but they are essentially the same kind of hardware solution.

One is from Joyeauto and the other is from Unique-AD.

I'll post more details and take some photos over the weekend.

#34 ·
If you have the Incontrol Touch Pro then there is an upgrade if your dealer is nice enough.

If you have the Incontrol Touch 8" then you need to use a separate unit that plugs into the 8" orginal unit like the Joyeauto or IDCore ones. I installed mine and have been using it for a few weeks now. In general it works pretty well.

Attachments

#40 ·
If you have the Incontrol Touch Pro then there is an upgrade if your dealer is nice enough.

If you have the Incontrol Touch 8" then you need to use a separate unit that plugs into the 8" orginal unit like the Joyeauto or IDCore ones. I installed mine and have been using it for a few weeks now. In general it works pretty well.
Do you have a link of where you purchased this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.