Discovery Sport Forum banner

Constant Auto-Shut off during fueling

25K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  watson8046 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a peculiar problem that started this past summer and seems to be getting worse. I have a 2016 Disco Sport with 30K miles on it.

Putting fuel in it has become a maddening process. The gas pump constantly shuts off and it takes me 3-4 times as long to fuel it as it had in the past. I have tried to reposition the nozzle and have forgone using the handle-stop because it only takes a few seconds and it shuts off. I can hear the fuel filling up the fill-neck of the tank so I suspect something is keeping it from flowing freely but could not possible grasp what it may be. Has a vacuum developed? Or worse yet, since the fuel door does not lock (a design flaw in my opinion), has some nefarious character put something down in the tank?

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

G
#2 ·
I have not experienced that myself, but it sounds like a problem with limitations allowing the displaced air during filling to escape. If you have moved the nozzle around (which should allow air to escape through the fill tube) and that hasn't helped, I'm not really sure what the issue is. I'm not sure what trim level you have (or it makes a difference), but my DS does have a locking fuel door, it unlocks when you have the key nearby (just like the doors), so you wouldn't have to unlock it for access as long as you have the keys nearby (in your hand or in the car).

I recently had the joy to rent a U-Haul truck, and had the same issue at a few gas stations where the flow rate from the pumps was so high that caused shut off. Sounds like what you are experiencing. My solution in that case was either to hold the handle to control a very slow fill rate, or set the handle for a slower fill rate. I didn't experience that problem at all filling stations, just a few.

#6 ·
I have only had this happen a few times on the DS. My last vehicle was a 2003 4Runner and it did this almost constantly. What a pain. What I figured out, is it’s a combination of things.

First off, it depends on the gas station I’m at. The newer the pump handles are, the more finicky the nozzle seems to be.

Second, yellow sac spiders.. apparently there are some spiders and insects that are attracted to the tight spaces and the fuel fumes around automotive fuel systems. They like to live in and build nests inside of the ventilation tube of your fill tube. On my 4Runner, I used my air pump to blast air through the ventilation tube (small hole next to the nozzle hole under the cap) and it stopped the annoying “stop” for a while.

I haven’t had it enough times on the DS to warrant the air blast trick yet, but maybe the same thing is happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
2015 land rover discovery sporthard to fill with gas

I have the same problem. was told that that the fuel fill hose L550 is causing the restriction. Today i had gas coming out of of the fill area on the tank when trying to fill with gas. Has anyone replaced this part? if so how does this area come apart? does anyone have a schematic of the gas fill area on this car?

#8 ·
Hi !

I am facing the same issue of the gas pump constantly shutting off on auto mode .
And here is the explanation I am being offered by the Service manager in this regard .
A bulge has developed somewhere in the fuel hose ( 45 " length ) which is causing mechanical obstruction to inlet of petrol .
And since the vehicle is > 3 yrs old I am supposed to pay for replacement . Inspite of a 5 year full service and warranty package .
I am arguing it out that its a quality glitch / manufacturing defect hence the agency must foot the bill .
Any suggestions ?

#9 ·
Hello, I just got a used 2016 HSE. I'm really liking the SUV except for the fact that it takes forever to fill up the tank! I searched high and low for a quick fix and the common denominator seem to be to try to work the gas vent tube. The problem is how do you find the vent tube/hole? There is no other obvious hole inside the refill except for the main filler tube and a drain hole along the bottom. I'm a pretty good MacGuyver kinda guy if I can just get to it.

I do have warranty left, should I take it to the dealer to get it fixed? Has anybody got their dealer to fix it under warranty?

#23 ·
Having the same issue and after reading with no real solution, I drill two 5/32 holes next to the fill hole. It helps to allow for the vapor to flow out while filling. The gas cap still seals the over the port so you can maintain the pressurized system. It’s still a pain in the ass and LR should provide an answer for the opportunity to fix it.

#11 ·
I TOOK MY 2016 DISCOVERY TO THE DEALER TODAY FOR THE SAME PROBLEM. I PURCHASED AN EXTENDED WARRENTY WHEN I BOUGHT THE VEHICLE 2 YEARS OLD. THEY TOLD ME IT WAS A PROBLEM WITH A HOSE INSIDE THE GAS TANK THAT HAD WORN OUT AND WOULD COST ME $600 NOT IN WARRANTY. RIPOFF. THE WARRANTY COST ME AN EXTRA $2K AND IF I CAN'T USE IT FOR MANUFACTURING FLAWS WHAT GOOD IS IT?

#16 ·
Hi. I have same issues on a 2015 Disco Sport. From reading online I think it’s the gas tank vent/vapor system that has failed and causes continued fuel pump auto shut off. Will take to dealer to inquire specifically. Fearing over priced repair.

Any thoughts on estimated Cost is appreciated!

#13 ·
I THINK I MAY HAVE THE SOLUTION FOR MY CAR ANYWAY. TOOK MY DISCOVERY TO THE DEALER AND THEY REPLACED A HOSE THAT GOES DOWN INTO THE TANK. THAT DIDN'T FIX THE PROBLEM SO THEY'RE REIMBURSING ME FOR THAT PART. MY HUSBAND ASKED THEM IF THEY HAD CHECKED TO GAS GAUGE WHICH THEY HADN'T. NEXT DAY THEY CALLED AND SAID THAT WAS THE PROBLEM. SO I HAD GAS IN THE TANK THE WHOLE TIME SUPPOSEDLY. I'LL GET MY CAR BACK TUESDAY. I'LL LET YOU KNOW IF THAT SOLVED THE PROBLEM AND EXACTLY WHICH PART THEY REPLACED.

#14 ·
Hey guys!
I recently purchased a Range Rover Sport 2010
When you look down the hole the fuel goes into can you see a yellow “flap”? If so the solution I’ve found is:
If you look in the boot/trunk where all the jack etc. Is there’s a yellow tool like like this -

line up the two pins at the top, slot into the two holes in the top of the pipe and drag backwards. It will instantly release the flap and you’re good to go!

#19 ·
If your charcoal canister is saturated or the fuel vapor vent line is clogged, one of the first things you might notice is trouble at the gas pump.
You might be unable to fill your tank, or that the gas pump nozzle shuts off before your tank is full. If your canister cannot remove vapor from the gas tank, those fumes take up volume, minimizing the space you can fill.

Overfilling your fuel tank after the pump had shut off can cause the problem to start with

#21 ·
I am having the same problem with my discovery sport. They said the filler hose needs to be replaced cause it’s deteriorating. But based on a previous comment I am not sure that’s the fix. The car is still at the dealership. Did anyone every fully get this issue resolved. I only took it in after it started to spit gas out after I was refueling.

2016 Land Rover Discover Sport with 74K miles.

#22 ·
I can't believe It as been 2 years almost since I posted this. Still dealing with the same problem, It has not gotten any worse so I can't imagine it's deterioration. I ahve taken the fuel line off and inspected it and nothing noticable or blocking. I'm going to get back into trying to fix it. Let me know if anyone has found a solution or I will let you know. Seems like a common issue that LR should have recalled by now.

#25 ·
I have the same 2016 it's in 16 discovery sport and I have the same problem since it had 8000 miles on it. Tried over and over again to get it to the dealership. I kept the car at my home in Florida. They were remodeling the dealership at the time and I could not get an appointment every time I went down. I was told 3 weeks 4 weeks never got any help finally I had to drive the car back to Michigan when they shut down the airlines from the pandamic. Tried to go to the dealership there and I was a few miles over the warranty. And they refused to help me. By the way they were remodeling that dealership also.

#27 ·
I wonder if the problem could be high pressure pumps. When I have fueled up in the US it takes less time to fill up. I always use premium fuel and takes longer than those using regular fuel. I think a smaller pump is used for premium because of less demand.

What happens when fueling and only squeezing the handle 3/4 of the way.

#28 ·
Have you possibly attempted to put petrol in a diesel? Can you see a yellow flap in the line where you put the fuel nosel? These are a safety device which prevents you from feeling with the wrong fuel. In the car you will find a yellow tool which will help you reset the flap allowing you to continue fuelling properly. I found this video online. I hope this helps explain a little better.

#29 ·
2016 LR Discovery Sport HSE

When fueling, at any gas station, I need to tend the pump so that fuel is dispensed at the slowest rate the pump allows so that the pump does not automatically shut off. I can clearly see the overflow tube, but cannot see, or locate the vent. I understand this is a relatively common issue and I'm hoping those with more wisdom than I can help me identify and resolve the issue. Spending upwards of 10 minutes to fuel is getting old!
Thanks
Brian
Cape Coral, FL