Discovery Sport Forum banner

20in LED Light Bar

24K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Jacko 
#1 ·
I just bought a 20in light bar and mount from Amazon. I installed part of it so far, waiting until the weekend to finish wiring. Honestly, I think the light bar looks quite good on the Disco Sport so far. What are your guys' thoughts? :D

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I am planning on switching to AT tires once the stock ones wear out, maybe sticking to the same brand and getting the new Continental TerrainContacts. I've been considering to buy the Eibach 30mm lift kit but its cost is a bit too much at the moment. I mainly installed the light bar as some roads on the mountains aren't that well lit and it could provide light when camping outdoors.

#7 ·
"Almost" One year update- The light bar is till doing well; came in useful many times driving on the many National Forest roads around Washington state. Having it mounted low on the license plate bracket means the wide beam reaches lower than the headlights and lights up a greater amount of area. The night shots from the GoPro don't do the light output justice: it's honestly much brighter than the stock high beams. The light bar does stick out a few inches from the bumper but it doesn't bother me as much as I would've thought although it does somewhat affect the look of the car. This mounting solution was the only one I could find that didn't involve drilling/cutting, as well as being easily reversible. From head on and the front three quarters view, it doesn't seem to protrude that far out as the slit in the grill creates somewhat of an illusion. Only viewing from top down or sides does the light bar look out of place. Holding up well so far.

Attachments

#10 ·
Two year update- A roof basket has been mounted on low profile ROLA crossbars. With the additional spotlights up top, it makes night driving even easier. I've also managed to get a set of used OEM 18in Disco Sport wheels and powdercoated them at my local tire shop. Mounted on these wheels are 265/60/R18 Cooper Adventurers from Pep Boys (Buy 3 get 1 free :cool: ). I took the new set-up to one of the tougher NF roads in WA state, and it handled it with no drama at all, even in the rain.

Some pics of the DS all packed up and ready to go.

Attachments

#14 ·
The road noise is only slightly increased due to the AT tires. They resonate at around 30mph, but there's little difference at any other speeds. The roof rack does generate a fair bit of wind noise however, which could be covering some of the tire roar.

I'm running 5mm spacers in the rear and none in front.

#15 · (Edited)
Three year update- Everything still holding up perfectly. Played around with some painted bits of trim and installed a CB radio. Still contemplating an Eibach lift kit, ARB awning, cargo boxes, aluminium skid plate, and moving the light bar mount behind the grill, though the current setup is doing its job just fine.

Attachments

#17 ·
Thanks @outbackgeo!

The roof rack’s a Rola unit (you Aussies should be familiar with that brand ;)), mounted on a set of Rola crossbars. With the rack extension, the whole setup weighs around 60lbs (27kg) dry.
The CB antenna is mounted on the aluminium lip of the rear hatch, wired through the headliner to the driver side footwell. I thought about installing the antenna on the front edge of the hood for better reception, but decided not to for my short distance trail usage. If you’re looking for a mount, I’d recommend the Diamond K400. Definitely costly but justifiably so!

#21 ·
Four year update- Still going strong. I finally gave into temptation and completed a self-installation of the Eibach lift kit. The lift has been a welcome addition on recent trips (a major decrease in belly scratching), though I wouldn't recommend installing it yourself unless you know what you're getting into. Even with the shop manual in hand, it still took the better part of a week with the car on jack stands to complete. As I was already taking the suspension apart though, I also decided to add a pair of Air Lift 2000s to reduce sag when loaded up. A cargo box has been added to the roof rack as well, along with a rear-facing 32 inch light bar. Other recent additions include WeatherTech floor mats and front mud flaps.

Though it was still perfectly fine, the front 20in light bar has finally been removed, and I'm in the process of fabricating a much more elegant mount for a curved 30in light bar in the bumper slot. I haven't had much time to work on the car this summer, but a 3-row compatible, low profile tow bar will also be fitted soon along with the new front light bar!

Attachments

#23 ·
About the old namesake of this thread, yes! The front end looks much cleaner without a light-bar-sized protrusion cluttering the lines of the DS.

The rear light bar can't be used legally when moving, as they are yellow/white LEDs (can't display white lights when moving forwards), but they can be configured to stay on constantly or through its varies strobe functions as they are controlled through a remote. I usually use them as a chase light when offroading, rear lighting when camping, or for extra visibility when parked beside a road.

Thanks!

#25 ·
Hi Mate, quick query regarding wiring ... how did you do it?
about to canabilise a plug and play setup and got to the light connector and called in help - a neighbour who's a mec mechanic.... while intriged he expressed some concern at tapping into the electronics here as the 'headlight computor may be at risk.

any sugestions welcome, I've built some brackest and installed them and the base wirning ... wondering if i can finish it myself or need to get an expert involed .. ??
thanks jacko

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.