Discovery Sport Forum banner

Boot open and closing issues.

59K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Fistralnick 
#1 ·
Hi. My mum has recently purchased a new Landrover Discovery Sport and we've had some unsettling issues with the boot opening and closing unintentionally - when dogs have been getting in and out, and when driving off with them in.
We shut the boot after walking a couple of weeks ago and as we drove off it started to open then stopped around a foot high. We were on the side of a road and thankfully the dogs didn't move, and we were able to shut it. But we have no idea how or why it happened. It was definitely closed properly.
Today I got one dog into the boot and it started to close as the other tried to jump in. I put my arm out to stop it but it didn't stop on the sensor - instead coming down and bruising my arm as my dog fell back landing on his back on the tarmac.
What please is causing this?
I now won't travel my dogs in there until a secondary door is fitted, or the problem is resolved.

#31 ·
Loads of complaints about this tailgate issue! problem is Landrover will not cover this under warrantee! our disco sport was computer diagnosed with faulty tailgate electro hydraulic arme needing replacement. This is a misdiagnosis the fault is software or bad earth somwhere. In our opinion this is a safety issue having the tailgate open as you drive off!!! This should be a recall. So the diagnostic computer cannot be relied on. The current cost is £198 for hooking the computer up at a dealers, will not be buying another Landrover due to this, what a rip off! It takes less than 5 minutes to do the test.

#4 ·
I have a friend who has been dealing with this very issue for weeks now with her Evoque. They kept telling her it was the rain setting off the sensors. One morning she woke up to find her boot open over night. They replaced the whole rear door for and no problems since.

#5 ·
Robbokey

I also have this problem and am waiting for a call from LR to collect and fix it. This will be the 2nd time it has had to go back. I find the problem starts when walking past the rear of the car with the key in your pocket. The tailgate then opens by itself and goes up and down like a yoyo until it decides to stop mid stream. The first time it happened I was getting something out of the boot and the tailgate hit me on the head a couple of times. I thought it might be a faulty key fob but the same thing happened with the spare key. LR can't seem to get a handle on this even though it appears a more common fault than they make out. They have suggested it could be faulty sensors. I find the easiest way to resolve the issue temporarily is to walk some way away from the car then close the tailgate with the key button. Let's hope they fix it this time.

#13 ·
I also have this problem and am waiting for a call from LR to collect and fix it. This will be the 2nd time it has had to go back. I find the problem starts when walking past the rear of the car with the key in your pocket. The tailgate then opens by itself and goes up and down like a yoyo until it decides to stop mid stream. The first time it happened I was getting something out of the boot and the tailgate hit me on the head a couple of times. I thought it might be a faulty key fob but the same thing happened with the spare key. LR can't seem to get a handle on this even though it appears a more common fault than they make out. They have suggested it could be faulty sensors. I find the easiest way to resolve the issue temporarily is to walk some way away from the car then close the tailgate with the key button. Let's hope they fix it this time.
Have you heard back from LR? I’m still waiting, my car has been at the dealership for 9 weeks now.

#8 ·
This has been an ongoing problem with my ‘17.
Liftgate opens & closes on its own, final straw is when it opened & hit my son. First time they looked at it they fixed the tailgate sensor so it would stop closing on me whenever I put groceries in the back. They couldn’t replicate the opening in its own. Started opening again on its own & this time I recorded it. I’ts been at the dealership for over a month while they wait to hear back from LR. Not happy.

#9 ·
Dangerous issue for land rover

I brought my Discovery into the dealership for the same thing, they could not duplicate it so they couldn't fix it, but when I picked it back up the technician told me I have the foot motion sensor and if something or someone does not realize it goes near the sensor it will close or open like that. I did not even know I had that option, but I found out every time I would put the shopping cart near the back to load groceries it would happen and close right onto me loading bags! I guess anything that goes near the sensor causes it to open or close, it could be a quick foot, a cart, or even a leg then it happens. If I knew that I would have never bought the car with that option! Now I know, and there is no way to shut if off which makes me so mad because I dont even want it, I never use it. It closed on me changing my grandson's diaper in the back because I laid him down there. This is a dangerous issue that Land Rover needs to find a fix for.

G
#10 · (Edited)
Perhaps you can permanently disconnect the sensor.

As a side note, there are many car models out there with a similar sensor (including many all LR/RR). I wonder if the others are suffering from the same issue?

Just did a quick Google search, and found similar complaints with other brands - so, not unique to the DS. Sounds like the sensor can be over-sensitive and open/close when not intended and when someone or something moves near the sensor. (didn't see any solutions for the other brands :( )

#11 ·
Never had this problem, and we do have the foot sensor which I use all the time. I actually like the fact that the senors are off to the side so you don't stand in the way of the liftgate when operating it.

Now, we had a Ford Edge as a rental recently, and that had the foot sensor in the middle. That was really annoying, because several times in just a week the front of my foot ended up just under the bumper when loading and off-loading. This triggered the hatch and we had to jump to safety. At least the hatch had a pleasant chime when it was activated to warn us!

#12 ·
mine does this when I wash the car too- The buttons on the door handles and boot release are very sensitive the pressure of the water is enough to trigger locking/unlocking of the war and tailgate open/close.

The fix is to lock the car and put your key/fob far enough from the car so it is not in range..

I have tested this and it works- auto tailgate (activated when "kicking" the rear tyres) will not self open with water pressure alone...

#15 ·
My sister has been returning our 2013 model to main dealer Charles Hursts for 6+ months now. Similar incidents boot lid opens at random while the vehicle is locked and also being driven up the motorway at 60+MPH also parked over night at a hotel etc. Dealer says as they cannot reproduce the problem then there isn't one,

#17 ·
Hi. You should all be aware Lr have known of this problem for quite a while
I have that statement on an email from one of their senior managers. Customer relations will always deny the problem exists as they do not speak with the technical team.

We rejected our approved used car in the first week but allowed LR to try and fix it. They could not so agreed to buy the car back at the original price after we put 12000miles since Jan 2018.

Do not give up escalate the issue to higher management.

We bought another discovery but today we both got onto the car and heard the tailgate open, luckily our border collie stayed where she was, but it looks like another money back job. Clearly the car software has not been fully tested and has a line of instruction on the programme which causes this problem.

Hope this advice helps someone and puts further pressure on LR to play fair with their customers.

Cheers Glyn

#18 ·
So now I am joining the club.... after a year of ownership and only reading about this problem...this week I had it happen to me on 3 random occasions... and I don't have the foot sensor.
2 times happened when actually opening the passenger doors and once when walking around the car.
Each time the tailgate opens only 1/3....maybe half way and gets stuck there for 10 sec.... I need to physically push it down....then open it fully and close it to be able to lock the vehicle.

this car is officially driving me nuts with all the small electrical / computer issues.... and I bet I will have a hard time at the dealership as this is yet another random issue that can't be easily reproduced.

Honestly guys.... I am one pissed off customer ...I can't imagine same s..t is happening with their top line vehicles.....
Something is telling me the DS was not ready for release.....

#19 ·
Happened a few more times.... dealer couldn't reproduce (Douh !!) so of course - "no issue"
For those of you who have experienced it - was it fixed finally for you ?
What was the issue ?

This kind of issue is a complete and utter BS..... fortunately never happened while driving but come on.... I am walking around the vehicle and get almost hit with the tailgate as it opens half way and then goes down on its own and up and then gets stuck for a few seconds....

Will be calling JLR....

#21 ·
I haven't had that specific scenario. I did however try to kick the road ice / sludge build up on the left rear wheel well just behind the wheel on the LRDS - the rear hatch opened. Tried a couple of more times and it happened each time. After that I can't reproduce it. Later my wife told be a similar story.

I'm with all of you when you say "service can't reproduce it, so - no problem exists." I cannot get the service or the dealer to give a ****.
LR sent me a quality survey after my last service visit. I didn't mince words. I'm fed-up. No one at LR seems to care that they put out a possibly dangerous product riddled with problems that they can't or won't fix.

#22 ·
it's happened 3 more times within same week....each time during a rain....so now this is more frequent
I got out of the car, closed the door, touch the sensor on the handle to lock the car and as I walk away - the lift gate opens half way....
It wouldn't go back right away....I had to close and open it a few times before it finally closed and didn't open on its own.

F...ing Ridiculous

#23 ·
I have a 2018 LR Discovery Sport and the mind of it's own tailgate started on me yesterday. First when leaving work, again at home, and this morning getting gasoline. I was able to shut it from inside with the dash panel switch. It would not let you close it from the outside and would open and close partially on it's own multiple times. I will try the walking away with the key fob trick next. I still do not like having the tailgate open on it's own.

#24 ·
I had this happening too - I lost some stuff out of the back of the vehicle
I finally clicked that the problem was my knee hitting the tailgate open button as I was entering the car! I have a right hand drive one and the button is really badly placed to the right of the steering wheel
I cured it my making surround to the two adjacent buttons out of 10mm EVA foam so that the only way to operate the the buttons is to push your finger into the opening.
It has never happened since.

#26 ·
JLR are now aware of the issue.... some 3-4 months ago when I first reported it at the service they said they can't reproduce and there is no problem.
3 weeks ago I was there for oil change and mentioned this problem again.....the guys said that this was now validated by JLR and they have a new sensors in stock for all those who have the same complain.
It;s called : Tailgate Module LR072284

#30 · (Edited)
Hi folks, my car is over 3 yrs old and this has happened to me 3 times over last month, twice in the last week.... once beside a busy road when I had our two dogs in the back.....nightmare!!! I seen that Paul quoted a fix (June 2019) by replacing module LR0072284 (now superseded by LR086434)..
Question I have is..is this module the same for my car 2017 Disco Sport TD4 180 SE Tech ? ...(which does NOT have the foot gesture opening option) Thanks! (Dealership want to charge me up to £180 just for an investigation before they even order any parts!!!)

#28 ·
My Disco 4 2914 plate same prob They just dont understand electrics. loads of range rovers sitting in coventry waiting for rewire as door handles wont pop out when you open car . Lets be honest -THEY HAVE LOST THE PLOT !!! Going to Merc S class as I have a tractor to do pulling stuff and lets be honest people who buy this stupid discovery/ range rover or whatever the Indians want to call them now they are just are just Freelander upgrades and are just posers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.