Discovery Sport Forum banner

Auto Stop/Start not working

166K views 58 replies 28 participants last post by  Lorence.issa@gmail.com 
#1 ·
Hi

My 2017 HSE is only a few months old and now the auto start/stop does not work. The car is warm enough, not cold outside. No climate control or heated/cooled seats. No radio or Bluetooth is on and it wont work. Basically it should be working. Its definatley activated. Try switching on/off. It used to work all the time.

Any insite before I take it in to be looked at?
Thanks!
JMH

#3 ·
Yes same here - mine is a 2016 and after it received the new software patches, the auto stop/start does not kick in much.
I may see it happen about 10% of the time now.

Maybe it's because people last year were complaining it kicked in too much ?

I know I hated the early version where it shut down every time I stopped in bumper to bumper traffic.

Now it's nice not to have it be so intrusive.

I like it!

#4 ·
mine hasn't worked since I got the car-

had all the standard excuses given to me- my theory is that there is either the gateway module or some type of control module stays on when the car is turned off. This drains the battery sufficiently to inhibit the stop/start technology but not enough to warn you that you have low battery..

There are about 30 odd parameters that need to check before stop/start will work-

Problem is that when these dudes check your car at the dealer, they turn off all the mod cons, like auto lights, auto wipers, climate control, heated seats etc etc...then reset battery monitor system and surprisingly stop/start works. As soon as you drive out the dealer and put these systems back on- it fails...

at the end of the day stop/start maybe saves you $50 US a year on fuel- so not worth it in my opinion, however, its a principal, the car is installed with this technology and so it should work as designed..My wife's car has so much more tech than the Disco, never had an issue with stop/start not working with all the mod cons on...

#6 ·
..... theory is that there is either the gateway module or some type of control module stays on when the car is turned off. This drains the battery sufficiently to inhibit the stop/start technology but not enough to warn you that you have low battery..

Yes, this is the cause.
I just confirmed this with my service advisor when I mentioned my auto start-stop has been working too much...
My post on the second round of service campaigns:
http://www.discoverysport.net/forum/discovery-sport-recalls-service-bulletin/10730-another-round-service-recall-tsb-issues-not-much-happiness.html

Item number one is the culprit!

#5 ·
Same issue here. It does work occasionally, but nowhere near as often as when the car was new. We have a 2017 HSE that we got in November last year. We have not been to the dealer since, so no updates have been applied. The system has just decided to not work most of the time.

#7 ·
yep- Im arguing with my dealer

they say:

1. gateway module operates ok
2. Battery charge system works Ok
3. all other control modules work ok
4. battery is not faulty

yet

battery is on low power so stop/start won't work.....

So, they can not explain to me why the battery has low power if all systems work properly.....so they conclude there are no issues, even though they admit stop/start isn't working.....

just sent my car back to the dealer- told them I don't want it back until they fix all acknowledged issues (I have plenty more)

#8 ·
I have exactly the same issue with HSE MY16 model. My service advisor said that all the tests come back fine and no faults and said maybe I used it too much in traffic from Monday to Friday city driving around town. Doesn't it defeat the whole purpose of 'stop start' if I don't use it in traffic ?!? It really annoys the xrap and frustrates me so much that the function is not designed for city driving - if that's the case, I certainly wouldn't use it on the highway then why bother have stop start button and function?!?

#10 ·
Hi all. New here, first post as my DS is currently in the service centre getting a couple of things looked at (lots of subjects for other posts). One of the issues I have is the stop/start doesn't activate nearly as much as it used to. When it was new, it was annoying how much it happened, then all of a sudden it stopped. I would say I can count on one hand the number of times it has kicked in over the last few months.

What's the general feedback? the stop start drains the battery, when it gets too low it doesn't kick in any more? is it the primary battery or i see someone mentioned an aux battery? (didn't know there were two!)

I had an interesting comment when I brought it up with the service adviser when dropping it off, she mentioned "oh that happens, might need to keep it overnight for a charge"

If it's that simple couldn't i just put it on a charger at home?

#11 ·
Welcome aboard!
I experienced the same issue.
Then after it received a battery update software update from LR:

Q634 Gateway Module Stay Awake - Battery Drain - software configuration

This appears to be the culprit in having your car awaken and drain the 12V auxillary battery (the battery used for auto start/stop). It has nothing to do with the main 12V battery.

Check with your service center if your car will receive the Q634 update.

#13 ·
I looked up all the specs for the car and there does not seem to be an auxiliary battery as in some vehicles with start/stop.

"The battery is an H7 80 Ah, 800 CCA Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Valve Regulated Lead-Acid (VRLA) battery on:
All vehicles with auto stop/start system.
All vehicles with Fuel Fired Booster Heater (FFBH) with Cabin Heat Function.
The battery is an H7 80 Ah 700 CCA Flooded type battery on:
GTDi 2.0L Petrol engine vehicles without auto stop/start system.
AJ200 Diesel engine vehicles without auto stop/start system."

A separate electronic device is provided to maintain proper voltage to components.

"A Voltage Quality Module (VQM) is equipped to vehicles with the auto stop/start system. The VQM is located adjacent to the
Central Junction Box (CJB), behind the glovebox. During an auto stop/start engine start cycle the VQM maintains some of the
vehicle’s electrical systems by supplying a support voltage around the vehicle's electronic components during an engine
restart. This allows crucial vehicle systems to continue uninterrupted when there is a sudden draw of current from the battery."

#14 ·
Same issue occurred for me. I brought it in for its 20k oil change and they fixed it. Not sure what they did. But no extra questioning or issues.

They did some new squeak update... I swear I now hear a squeak that was not there before. Uggh! I am afraid to tell them because I think they believe I am crazy with all the minor goofy issues I have experienced with this vehicle.

#16 ·
I've just been told my battery needs replacing because the stop start will fail if it holds less than 75% charge.

Not even 2 years old, and almost every battery comes with a 3 or 4 year warranty.

So.............what is the best way to make a claim against Land Rover direct for fitting a dodgy battery when new?

#18 ·
Hi, I am a new owner of LR DS 2017 model HSE (Petrol). It seems no body knows what going on with the casue.
I experienced the same problem here in Taiwan. Actually they are many DS owners have this issues and the dealer cannot do anything to fix it.
I think this can be a generic problem that LR needs to fix.

The stop/start on my DS works for first 2 weeks when I got it and they fixed it, saying the battery output current is not enough to trigger the function. Then after 2 weeks the car got returned, it stopped working again. I am going back to dealer again next week.

Some people here finally got fixed with a battery replacement with bigger capacity. Some people didn't get it fixed after several times trying.

I wonder if LR knows te real cause until now. It's been 2-3 years the DS launched and LR should know the problem and fixed it. It's really a disappointment. This really damages LR branding already.

#19 ·
I do so many short trips I am surprised the car even starts some times:D I had even set up my headlights to maximum delay when turning off the engine ( a few weeks ago), so every time I parked the car in my garage the headlights would come on for a long time. Never mind the heavy rains that have caused headlights to come on at noon some days. Set the delay to 30 seconds and now no problem with start/stop. Extremely short trips followed by 2 or 3 days not driving does not make a happy battery. :(

No problems with my car with the start/stop other than my style of driving the last few weeks.

Oh! not battery current, it is battery voltage that the system looks for.

#20 ·
After mine had that battery drain update done, the auto start stop had started to work again (not ideal).
But then after a couple of months I noticed it would not work.

I am quite happy with that - I don't like the auto start stop as it creates a delay in moving while stuck in bumper to bumper driving in Southern California....

Next time it's at the dealer, I won't mention to them that it does not work - I prefer the auto start stop to be gone....

Reactions: loire17
#21 ·
numerous issues with this one-

If you can get onto TOPIX you will see that there is in excess of 30 variables that impact on when stop/start will function or not. It's also rudimentary programmed to work about 90 seconds as another variable is ambient temperature and A/C fan setting.

some models 2015/16 have an issue with the gateway module not shutting down which causes a battery drain- battery drain is the primary variable for this system not working. LR issued a software fix for cars affected by it. This did not apply to my car.

For me it was much more simple- there was a mis-wire from factory where one of the systems was put on full power draw would drain my battery to the point I would get a warning. When this rectified, all is normal.

For me, the technology is pretty useless, it is only of benefit if you are at traffic lights for long periods of time or during slow traffic light cycling. For most of us in the big smoke we don't stop at lights long enough for there to be a benefit in terms of fuel saving.

by the time my car ticks off on all the variables It only works about 25% of the time I am on the road-

#24 ·
Technically there is a way to disable the feature (confirmed to me by the dealer) BUT global legislations states that a car sold with this feature must have it active at all times- It has something to do with emissions targets.

for now, you gotta press the off button when you get in the car or migrate to either a very hot or cold climate where the system won't work anyway- better still install a dash cam and run parking mode, the power drain on the battery from your dash cam will render stop/start non operational

#25 ·
When the system works 100% of the time some owners are mad and when it stops working mainly because of high electrical load or low battery other owners are mad.

The only 2 times I turn the start/stop off is when it is raining heavily and the windows some time mist up when the engine restarts, on the highway I turn it off because after a high speed drive I like the turbo to have a chance to cool down and the engine temperature time to stabilize.

#26 ·
So my start /stop stopped working most of the time, way to many short trips and finally would only work one day a week.:confused: We went away on holidays and when we came home (flew not drive) the first time I went into the car it flashed a warning that battery was low and to start engine. A week later same message after sitting listening to the radio for 20 minutes (numerous restarts :laugh:) so time to do something.

Bought and wired in a CTEX battery charger (Land Rover factory charger is made by them) set it up to charge and the next day the start/stop worked perfectly again , actually better than when I first bought the car.:)

https://www.ctek.com/ or https://smartercharger.com/

I bought the MXS 5.0 (part# 40-206) and was recommended by owners on the UK site

#28 ·
I reckon the problem is multilayered- I am now on my 7th, yes 7th fix for the Disco with respect to stop/start- unlike others, my car was not one of those that had issues with the gateway module, apparently my charging system works fine and battery is good...

I have read every parameter that activates or deactivates the stop/start and have applied as a constant across the last 15,000km. I have logged every trip, what features are on, what are off, what the ambient temp is at the start of a journey what it is at the end of a journey, how many times stop/start actually worked, how many times it partially worked and how many times the car stops after the engine temperature has passed the "blue" notch- I measure my battery voltage every morning before I take off and when I come back at the end of the day. At the 8000km mark I turned all features off and logged 4000km of data-

Basically in my car- there is no set pattern to when the system works or doesn't. It doesn't matter whether I am running systems within the parameters mentioned in the hand book or no systems at all- There is no pattern to its operation....I have has instances where I have been stopped at the lights for over 1minute, the car is still running, then suddenly stop/start activates..

I have been driven to log 15000km of data because I am tired of how JLR have dealt with this and many many other issues with my car...

I am certain that the computer in my car is F#@$ED. My fuel efficiency is out of whack too- According to the computer the car will return an average of 10Lt/100km with a 90% driving style across a journey in the city where the car has stopped 4 times in a 30km journey and travelling at an average speed of 52kms/Hr, YET the fuel poured into the car week to week is the same as it was 1 year ago (I drive the same roads on this data logging process at the same times of the day) when the computer would display 8.2 - 8.5Lt/100km on the same journey with the same amount of stops with a similar average speed and a lower driving style. So it shouldn't actually be less efficient if Im using the same fuel for the same distance travelled!

Further, the car will maintain set cruise control speed on straight flat roads and incline roads- but will fail to hold speed on slight downhill roads- you can feel the computer applying the brake a couple of times and then gives up so the car rolls and before you know it you are doing 100km/hour on a 70km/hr road.

My theory is that the stop/start has nothing to do with the battery system (at least in my case), I believe that the drive by wire is off either because the computer is driving it wrong OR the drive by wire is sensing the wrong inputs..

In two weeks time- I have a meeting with the GM of the JLR dealer I take my car- I have warned them of the data I have collected and the manner in which I collected it, so that it does not come to them as a shock!

Basically, the car will get handed back to them and I don't want it back until everything is fixed- I don't care if they have to replace all systems including computer and re-flash my car...The experience has not been pleasant...

#30 ·
I know that has been floated around, and may be the case for other LR/RR - but 99% sure that there is no other battery other than the "normal" battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.