Discovery Sport Forum banner

Low battery indicator

111K views 65 replies 27 participants last post by  Huth S0lo 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Few weeks ago my battery got all drained out of power (for no obvious reason), that i had to hotwire it, and then tow it to the garage (some systems, like break and transmission did not perform normally)...
They did all the service recalls that were needed (i own the for for 6 months), including the battery control module update (which they claimed is to be blamed)... They also checked the battery and it checked out "OK" in the battery gizmo, giving 780 something of power (Amps?).
But since it came back it keeps giving me the "Low battery Plesa start engine" warning every morning. There is no real problem, other then the warning and the fact that the start-stop system would not engage (which is understandable).
I do drive most days for 15 minutes to comute to work, and longer drives at weekedns (after a long drive the start-stop system does engage properly).
The garage said it is not a problem, and the cause is the short travel time, which doesn allow the battery to fill up.
But i have concern that it will go completely drainedout again (which was somewhat troumatic for a 6 mothns old and very expensive car), because there might me some kind of power "leak" during shutdown to some roug subsystem.
Has anyone experianced the same?
Any long term solution?

See less See more
#2 ·
To me there is a problem...
I never had that warning on mine and I drive it 2times a day for 15 minutes like you. But often my car stays in the driveway for the whole weekend and sometimes here temperature reach minus 30 degrees in the morning (in winter :) ). Never had even an hesitation on start up, i own my DS since feb of 2016.

#3 ·
Completely agree - This is NOT normal - It seems like there is a problem - it doesn't matter if you drive 10 times a day for only 10 minutes - This should not happen - I suggest to be aggressive with the dealer - drop off the car, get a loaner and do not take it back until this resolved.
(I have my DS since June 2016 and I do not have any such issue)

#4 ·
I drive way to many short trips ( as my fuel economy suffers) and have no problem, but a completely dead battery may take a while to fully charge with short trips. I would put a small battery charger on the car over night and if the problem is still there the battery may have failed. They never like to go completely flat.

#5 ·
An update:
Last weekend we drove about 3 hours, and still at the end of the trip it gave the Low battery warning :(
In the morning when we loaded up the car to go back home, the tailgate did not close!
It was as if the tailgate latch had stayed in "locked' position and when i closed the tailgate, it slamed to the locker iron-to-iron, with very nasty noise...
So, im on my way to the garage...

#7 ·
Solved!
(I hope)
The central garage fixed the issue, the Low battery indicator no longer appears...
They said they had the software "reset" a few times, not sure what they meant, probably the battery "sensor" part.
After a few days of driving, and parking, the probelm did not apear again (even with my daily short trips).
Car now drives like a dream, love it again.
till next time ;)

#9 ·
I got the message a couple of weeks ago- after the car was not driven over a weekend

At this point no idea what the cause is- The car has been checked for voltage drop, they tried to blame the dash cam, but that is designed to turn off at 12.3V which is about 80% full on a standard car battery....Haven't seen the issue since, but my stop/start doesn't work either....

I have suspected that something is not right with the battery, sensors or charging system since I bought the car as the stop/start seldom works......Its odd that I have the identical system in a volvo s60 and without fail, the stop start works in all weather conditions and even if the car has not been driven for days...!

problem is I have to fight with the service centre to prove there is an issue- kinda over it!

#10 ·
An update.
Problem has returned after few days.
To make a long story short, it went for two weeks to the garage, and they blamed the "Ituran" system (anti-theft and location based security service) that drained extra power from the battery in idle. Had it fixed and returned the car, but problem persisted. Car went back to garage with threat of lawsuite, always helps... The garage's "master chief" was workign on it, and they notices that the radio system "wakes up" in the middle of the night, "searching for updates", so it drained the battery... Now waiting for a replacement part to come from England (Im from Israel). At least I got a replacement car: 2016 Discovery 4! which im now giving a thorough off road test whenever I can :)

So: Waiting for another attempt to fix.
Good: The LR service is now very supportive and friendly
Excelent : The LR D4 is brillinat off roader, and im re-considering my next car...

Will update soon.

#11 ·
Did your car receive a battery update software update from LR:

Q634 Gateway Module Stay Awake - Battery Drain - software configuration
?

This appears to be the culprit in having your car awaken and drain the 12V auxillary battery (the battery used for start/stop). It has nothing to do with the main 12V battery.

#14 ·
I know this is an old thread.

Any update on this? How’s it doing now? Any more issues?

I have a 2016 Evoque with a battery warning. I’ve had the battery tested at a local shop and it tests good. Battery seems to show low on dash about 2 days after charge. Pretty annoying. And I just noticed the auto start stop doesn’t work. I don’t know when that started. Hasn’t worked in like a year I’m thinking. Some how the tire pressure said that one tire was zero psi but then it fixed on its own. Also SOS system warning popped up a few days ago but went away. Somehow tire pressure changed away from light load setting on its own so then it was alerting that the tires were all low.

I’m worried I’m going to have issues the whole time we have the car. Hoping yours still is good and I’m hoping it will take only once to fix.

I think it has already had the battery software update recall thing.

How can I find a list of all possible recalls on my car? Any links.

We are planning on taking it in to Land Rover this Saturday.

#38 ·
Had exactly the same response from Guy Salmon Wakefield with my 2017, took it back 3 times and each time they charged the battery overnight and it fixed the problem for at best the journey home (8 mile), this was when the vehicle was just over 2 years old and they wouldn't do anything else about it, told me the battery was good... I did say well if thats the case.... something else is wrong??? .
I don't remember anyone saying during the sales pitch that if you don't drive it all day long it will not work correctly! Its now 4 years old, still on the same battery (Ive just given up on the Stop/Start system} and I'll never buy another Landrover again simply because of the aftermarket service, or lack of it unless you throw your wallet through the door first... its obvious they know the problem exists, had other issues too with Guy Salmond but not pertinent to this thread

#16 ·
Ironically on the same day my low battery warning came up as well. I do low mileage and lots of short trips as well so sort of expected. I installed a CTEX battery charger connection in the car so I can easily recharge the car again, and again.

The battery does not seem that low but it seems as Land Rover has set the threshold at an unreasonable level.:eek:

#18 ·
I had a low battery warning after a 6 week stay on a parking lot (gone sailing...). I had an external charger with me, just in case but then realized that LR manual says that one can't plug in an external charger.

So I am curious Bill F's post and " I installed a CTEX battery charger connection". How? Is charger connection an LR spare part or add on?

BRgs,

Aarne

#20 ·
Low battery start engine system shut down in 3 mins

I had to replace my battery in my 2016 LR Discovery in Oct 2018. I starting getting the same message again the past two weeks It would usually happen when I got in the car on short hauls. Then, I notice my rear door would not operate correctly so I took it to NTB where I bought the battery. They said it was fine but take the car to the dealer. Turns on that the battery was being drained and the braking module system had not been reset when the new battery was installed. LR service re-charged the batter and reset the BMS systems. LR told me that other places/shops probably dont have tools equipment to do this reset so you might as well just by the battery from LR anyway.

#21 ·
I had to replace my battery in my 2016 LR Discovery in Oct 2018. I starting getting the same message again the past two weeks It would usually happen when I got in the car on short hauls. Then, I notice my rear door would not operate correctly so I took it to NTB where I bought the battery. They said it was fine but take the car to the dealer. Turns on that the battery was being drained and the braking module system had not been reset when the new battery was installed. LR service re-charged the batter and reset the BMS systems. LR told me that other places/shops probably dont have tools equipment to do this reset so you might as well just by the battery from LR anyway.

Not sure why you bought a battery since there is a 4 year warranty from Land Rover

#22 ·
Had the same issue arise on Friday. Every time I turned the engine off, I received the low battery indicator. Back hatch door would also not close electronically. Took it to local dealer this morning and according to them I have an alternator issue. They are replacing alternator and battery under warranty (2016 with 34K miles). Unfortunately with tomorrow being a holiday, and having to order a part, it’s not likely to be ready by Friday. So I have to go the weekend without it. And because I didn’t buy from the local dealer they won’t provide a loaner car, which sucks.

#23 ·
They should supply a loaner. I have had work done at 2 separate dealers and both supplied a loaner. Neither one was the selling dealer.

I bet they charge Land Rover for the cost of a loaner.

Put the car on charge and you can drive on the weekend.

#25 ·
Hi all,

Few weeks ago my battery got all drained out of power (for no obvious reason), that i had to hotwire it, and then tow it to the garage (some systems, like break and transmission did not perform normally)...
They did all the service recalls that were needed (i own the for for 6 months), including the battery control module update (which they claimed is to be blamed)... They also checked the battery and it checked out "OK" in the battery gizmo, giving 780 something of power (Amps?).
But since it came back it keeps giving me the "Low battery Plesa start engine" warning every morning. There is no real problem, other then the warning and the fact that the start-stop system would not engage (which is understandable).
I do drive most days for 15 minutes to comute to work, and longer drives at weekedns (after a long drive the start-stop system does engage properly).
The garage said it is not a problem, and the cause is the short travel time, which doesn allow the battery to fill up.
But i have concern that it will go completely drainedout again (which was somewhat troumatic for a 6 mothns old and very expensive car), because there might me some kind of power "leak" during shutdown to some roug subsystem.
Has anyone experianced the same?
Any long term solution?
15 minute commutes are too short to keep the battery charged. You need to put it on a battery charger every few days or maybe at weekends.
The short commutes will also adversely affect engine life as it will not warm enough.
You could take it in a longer run every week, this may help.