LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-17-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hello From Virginia

Greetings all,

My name is Alex originally from San Antonio, Texas but now in Virginia and I have had my Disco for almost 2 years now and have come to this forum as a guest many times for advice. Really looking to change the appearance of the disco to become more aggressive for off-roading.

Cheers.
post #2 of 4 Old 07-17-2019, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I don't know how much appearance you need to change/can change on a DS to make it look more like an off-roader. In full disclosure my other vehicle is a Jeep Cherokee I've had for 18 years, and it has a few simple mods like a 50mm lift, underbody armor, and a 2" hitch receiver (gives a strong rear recovery point -- my DS has one too) and it's always done well off-road.

You ought to subscribe to the UK DS forum at https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/ There is a lot of off-road discussion there, especially from the Ozzies who seem to spend a lot of time off road.

No one makes a bullbar or winch bumper for the DS.

Underbody armor (AKA skid plates or bash plates): do a search for Rival skid plates. Supposedly they don't impact your ground clearance.

Lift kits: there's a lot of discussion on both this forum and the UK one. Short story is that DSs (and any vehicle with independent suspension) are difficult/expensive to lift. Check out this thread: https://www.discoverysport.net/forum...sco-sport.html

Hopefully you have 17" or 18" wheels. A tall, flexible sidewall is part of your suspension system, absorbing shocks before they reach the rest of the components. I would have gotten 15" wheels, like are on my XJ, if I could have, but 18" is the smallest offered currently. I believe a 17" wheel may have been offered in pas years. Putting 20" wheels on a Land Rover is just nuts.

Speaking of tires, your DS probably arrived like mine (a month ago) with all season highway-biased tires. I don't know why Land Rover wouldn't put AT tires on a Land Rover, but they did. I have Firestone Destination AT on the XJ and they're great in snow and off the pavement. They don't fit the DS, though, but there are AT tires that do. I'll be watching the wear on these Pielli Scorpion Verde All Seasons.

Anyway, here is some info to check out and chew on. Please keep us posted as to where you go with this little project.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-18-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu499 View Post
I don't know how much appearance you need to change/can change on a DS to make it look more like an off-roader. In full disclosure my other vehicle is a Jeep Cherokee I've had for 18 years, and it has a few simple mods like a 50mm lift, underbody armor, and a 2" hitch receiver (gives a strong rear recovery point -- my DS has one too) and it's always done well off-road.

You ought to subscribe to the UK DS forum at https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/ There is a lot of off-road discussion there, especially from the Ozzies who seem to spend a lot of time off road.

No one makes a bullbar or winch bumper for the DS.

Underbody armor (AKA skid plates or bash plates): do a search for Rival skid plates. Supposedly they don't impact your ground clearance.

Lift kits: there's a lot of discussion on both this forum and the UK one. Short story is that DSs (and any vehicle with independent suspension) are difficult/expensive to lift. Check out this thread: https://www.discoverysport.net/forum...sco-sport.html

Hopefully you have 17" or 18" wheels. A tall, flexible sidewall is part of your suspension system, absorbing shocks before they reach the rest of the components. I would have gotten 15" wheels, like are on my XJ, if I could have, but 18" is the smallest offered currently. I believe a 17" wheel may have been offered in pas years. Putting 20" wheels on a Land Rover is just nuts.

Speaking of tires, your DS probably arrived like mine (a month ago) with all season highway-biased tires. I don't know why Land Rover wouldn't put AT tires on a Land Rover, but they did. I have Firestone Destination AT on the XJ and they're great in snow and off the pavement. They don't fit the DS, though, but there are AT tires that do. I'll be watching the wear on these Pielli Scorpion Verde All Seasons.

Anyway, here is some info to check out and chew on. Please keep us posted as to where you go with this little project.
Unfortunately, I have the 19” wheels on my disco. But I’m very familiar with skid plates/under body armor. That’s for sure going to be needed. I was thinking of ultimately going with a 30mm lift.

Yes, I have the same tires and the wear I’ve gotten from them is about 30k, I wish they would’ve put AT tires on the disco, makes more sense. But thank you for the reply! I’ll be looking into the UK forums for off-road ideas.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-18-2019, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJax View Post
Unfortunately, I have the 19Ē wheels on my disco. But Iím very familiar with skid plates/under body armor. Thatís for sure going to be needed. I was thinking of ultimately going with a 30mm lift.

Yes, I have the same tires and the wear Iíve gotten from them is about 30k, I wish they wouldíve put AT tires on the disco, makes more sense. But thank you for the reply! Iíll be looking into the UK forums for off-road ideas.

Actually, after a little thought I do know why LR puts highway-biased all season tires on its vehicles: CAFE (gas mileage) requirements. AT tires have greater rolling resistance than highway all season tires, which translates to less gas mileage, and LR has federally mandated fleet gas mileage requirements to meet. They probably couldn't do it on AT tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page