User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-14-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Added roof rails

New owner here....I posted an introduction in the new owner section. Actually got it last month, and a couple days ago received the black roof rails from Niello. Installed them in less than 30 minutes.....here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5431-1.jpg
Views:	1152
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	4385   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (8)-1.jpg
Views:	3737
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	4393  
post #2 of 17 Old 11-15-2016, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Very nice look. Really streamlined, how's the wind noise on the road? Do they come with cross rails?

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."
post #3 of 17 Old 11-15-2016, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How do they install do you need tools or with 3m tape?

post #4 of 17 Old 11-16-2016, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
haha...3M tape. That's funny.

You know, I haven't ridden in or driven it since I installed them. Cross bars are separate either from the dealer (I think LR units are Thule), or from someone else. I'll probably go with the Rola units mentioned by a couple people elsewhere on this forum.

Do you need tools to install? A 13mm socket..that's it. I have the pano roof though keep in mind...the non-pano roofs have a similar install but need finishing parts that go over the roof gutters. You'll see that in the LR parts accessories list.

So basically you remove two plastic covers at the front sides of the roof towards the windshield, and two plastic covers at the rear sides of the roof above the rear side windows ahead of the rear hatch. Once removed you see threaded bolts that are built into the body of the truck.

In the roof rail kit are metal mounts that mount onto these bolts which are fastened down with the included 13mm nuts. Once the six mounts are in place (two at front, two at 3/4 rear, two at rear), then you take the rail itself and place onto these mounts which then fasten with 13mm bolts. Again, took me less than 30 minutes to complete.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-16-2016, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
I installed roof rails a couple of weeks ago as well. Easy as pie (except in Texas, mid-day sun, black roof - ouch).

So far no noticeable wind noise, but I haven't added cross bars yet. Will probably go the Thule route. Will decide how the cross bars look, and the wind noise, and then determine whether to remove them unless I need them.

2016 Disco Sport HSE, Corris Grey/Black Pack, Driver Assist Plus, Vision Assist, Climate Comfort, Protection Pack, 3rd row 5+2, Gloss Black Roof Rails
post #6 of 17 Old 12-03-2016, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Any thoughts on the "import version" of these? I wasn't wild about shelling out the cash for authentic JLR parts. Were the ones from Niello pricey?
post #7 of 17 Old 12-03-2016, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Niello are the best in pricing for genuine JLR parts.

I got mine last year and they are perfect - makes the car look so much more SUV like.

2016 DS HSE - 5+2 3rd Row, Climate Comfort, Driver Assistance +, Audio Upgrade, Gloss Black Roof Rails
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-06-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE View Post
Any thoughts on the "import version" of these? I wasn't wild about shelling out the cash for authentic JLR parts. Were the ones from Niello pricey?
No thoughts on the fake ones. Niello was about $550 shipped to my door.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-07-2016, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just had mine installed by the dealer. they were part of my negotiation to purchase car. I must say the OEM ones look really nice and my cross rails have a nice discovery logo on them looks really good.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-07-2016, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Smart!

2016 Disco Sport HSE, Corris Grey/Black Pack, Driver Assist Plus, Vision Assist, Climate Comfort, Protection Pack, 3rd row 5+2, Gloss Black Roof Rails

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page