LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-25-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Reverse transmission delay

Hello!

When engine is cold (15 min after running) when we put into reverse the transmission does not engage for a few seconds. In that time my family is pushing down on the accelerator then the car lunges backwards when reverse starts working after the delay . My wife is worried we will run over the kids or dog.

I see others having a similar problem.

See below for my dealer. I am at a loss. Any coaching please.

2018 with 4K miles.

Thanks in advance!

"As I stated on our phone call that I have experience the 2 second delay in the transmission on all of our vehicles, especially when cold. I spoke to XXXX who also confirmed that you did say that you experienced this issue when the vehicle was cold. As also stated on our phone call, I did say that when transmission fluid is cold it will create a delay due to the fluid being thicker and taking more time to engage the transmission. As also stated on the phone call, I believe the vehicle is safe to drive."
post #2 of 18 Old 01-26-2019, 12:11 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
How many members of your family are pushing down on the accelerator?

In every car I have driven I always wait until you feel the transmission engage before pressing down the accelerator or releasing the brake, listen to your dealer.

I don't see others with the problem
post #3 of 18 Old 01-28-2019, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have a similar problem with my 2018. When I put the car in reverse, it doesn't seem to engage the reverse unless I release the brake. Then the car "jumps" backwards as it engages the transmission. Showed it to dealer with answer - all of them do this (I think they are making it up). It is a bit annoying, but a simple workaround works just fine. Instead of releasing the brake at once, I release it and press it again - I can feel the transmission engages and then I release the brake again and everything is fine.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-28-2019, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 2017 does this as well. Whether they "all" do it or not, doesn't make it right. A car should not sit in reverse for several seconds, then engage and then hesitate when stepping on the gas - finally shooting backwards. I even warmed my car up for about 15 minutes the other day (remote start worked for once!) and it did this.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-28-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the feedback.

Some more research / thoughts......

The ZF 9 speed transmission seems to have had many problems across many OEMs.

If I stop the car 15 seconds or so after I "reverse" once, It will not repeat until the car has sat for 10-15 mins.

I have read maybe a valve issue or brake issue.

My loaner has same issue. Never had an issue the 40 years owning a car and three other LRs with delayed transmission.

I have case opened at LR USA.

Regards
post #6 of 18 Old 01-29-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Bill F 100% agree!!

When I start the car the transmission will not engage until taking foot off brake and after 2 second delay. If I put car into park right after and go back to reverse the transmission kicks into reverse while on brake and I can see and feel the rpm dip as it should.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a 2018 Disco Sport with the same trans lag problem. Haven't had it looked at yet, but THIS IS NOT NOT NORMAL FOR ANY AUTOMATIC TRANS, and is dangerous!
Don't let the dealer tell you this is normal! They're trying to avoid repair/adjusting it!
post #8 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 01:05 PM

Have you guys tried to reach out to LR USA? In my opinion because of the jerk, this is quite dangerous and perhaps NHTSA could be interested in this. In my personal opinion this is a safety issue (imagine someone suddenly walking by when reversing from a parking spot) and I believe LR USA doesn't want to get probed by NHTSA on this ...
post #9 of 18 Old 02-08-2019, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
I have a '16 DS HSE and recently had a loaner '18 DS HSE. I noticed a second or two lag when shifting to reverse before reverse would engage that I do not experience in my '16, which is effectively instantaneous. This caught me out initially and I would apply throttle before it was engaged, only to have it jerk when reverse engaged. Eventually got used to it (in time to get my car back) - but was bit confusing initially having to wait.

2016 Disco Sport HSE, Corris Grey/Black Pack, Driver Assist Plus, Vision Assist, Climate Comfort, Protection Pack, 3rd row 5+2, Gloss Black Roof Rails
post #10 of 18 Old 02-08-2019, 03:25 PM

While having a 1 year service check done, I got a 2019 loaner. The transmission behaves as you would expect it would. I don't notice any delays, it is smooth when engaging reverse, pretty good experience.

Also the car feels it deals better with the road imperfections - I checked the tires and pressures, but the tires are the same and the pressures are ok, so I wonder if they slightly tuned the suspension for 2019. Overall a good experience - no rattles, quiet, comfortable, responsive.

So when I'll pick up the car from the dealership later today, I'll reiterate on the transmission issue as it is definitely not normal. Perhaps it is limited to 2018, but still it should be fixed IMHO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page