Discovery Sport Forum banner

Issues with my 2018 Discovery Sport's transmisson

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rfkerness 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new here and I am also a new first owner of a Land Rover. I leased a 2018 Discovery Sport HSE Luxury back in March with the 286hp 2.0L Ingenium I4 engine. I love this vehicle. It rides like a comfortable tank here in NY. It's very nice and it's a joy to drive. Unfortunately, I have been having some problems with my car recently. One of those problems that I had today was when I tried to parallel park. I couldn't shift the gear knob into R or P. It was stuck on D or S. This is was all when I had my foot on the brake while trying to changing gear as normally. Was there some sort of recall on these ZF transmissions? My car is now in Park and I turned on the E-brake just to be safe, but whenever I put it into D and then try to move it back into park, it hesitates to move. I have to push on the knob a bit for it to move to R or P. I don't really drive this car hard and it only has 3900 miles on the odometer. Do you think my new car is a lemon? Should I take it to the dealer and have them check it out: I wonder if any of had similar experiences? Thanks a lot for your help!

#2 ·
I have the same issues.
On the hesitation issue: the LR dealer found that there was a bulletin on a valve problems in the ZF transmission. I don't know if it is related to ZF transmission recall (I think it was a separate issue).
They went through all of the diagnostics and got approval to replace the valve last April, however it was put on hold after they had my LRDS for 3 weeks. Haven't heard back yet.

On the Gear Shift Knob. I have the same problems. I have to stomp on the brake pedal a number of times before it releases. Service told me in both visits they can't reproduce the problem.

These are known issues and it seems LR is VERY SLOW to address them.
I've listed a few items in a thread...
https://www.discoverysport.net/foru...-what-dislike-about-2015-discovery-sport.html

This post shows how to reset the learning mode. I've used this and it helps "some" of the hestiation a bit.
https://www.discoverysport.net/foru...ow-acceleration-turbo-lag-***solution***.html

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Well the funny thing is that my transmission has went back to normal. I am able to rotate the dial to all gear modes. It's just yesterday was the first time it got stuck in drive. I guess it was probably just a hiccup in the software or something of that nature. 3 weeks seems like an awfully long time, did they at least give you a loaner vehicle to use? If so, which one did they give you?

#4 ·
If the "gear shift snag" happens again, try hitting the brakes a couple of times, that's what seems to get the knob to move.
There are so many interlocks on these vehicles.
Interlocks are switches that actuate solenoids and locks that allow things to move or engage.
The shifter knob has that so that it knows when you can start the car or when you're moving so you don't shift into reverse doing 50.
The problem is that some are slow or sticky or they are part of a logic path in the software.
I think that the service manager told me there are 14 updatable modules meaning that they are software driven.

Yes, it was an Evoque. And I am still waiting for a callback on the transmission valve.

#5 ·
I had this same issue when the car was new during the first year.
Reported to the dealer and they did some diagnostics and reset the transmission.
Occasionally I get the stuck reverse gear where it won't move for a couple of seconds.

Yes, you get a loaner for anything over a day of service.
Just reserve a loaner before you go in because if you don't you may be stuck with an Enterprise Toyota loaner...

I was in loaners for over 3 months trying to sort out the Telecom (TCU) module and dealer caused accident - mainly drove the Jag F Pace 35t which I loved it's head snapping torque!

#6 ·
I have this issue sometimes. I usually press the knob lightly and it will rotate. It does seem to release on its own and return to normal. Sometimes this might be 1-2 minutes. It did happen once after off road driving, but I think that is unrelated.

#8 ·
Hi all. Thought I would throw this information out there. I have 2019 DS . Picked it up this year 6 months ago. Transmission has allways hesitated coming out of a slow almost stop turn. Car also went into confused mode limp mode when passing as if it did know how to downshift no codes no engine lights. 6feb2023 took it to dealership. Just got vehicle back, although car had no bulletins or recalls for the model and year what so ever, the senior tech updated the PCM from KK72-14C570-BAF to KK72-14C570-BAG. This update made a huge difference in shifting and hesitation!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.