Discovery Sport Forum banner

2018 Discovery Sport new engine

8K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  DiscoDisco 
#1 ·
Looks to be confirmed.

289hp 2.0l Turbo

2.0 Liter Si4 Gas Automatic (286HP) (4WD)

Power (hp): 286
Torque (lb-ft@rpm): 295/1500
Maximum Speed (mph): 137 (5 seats)/135 (5+2 seats)
Acceleration 0-60 mph in 6.3 (5 seats)/6.5 (5+2 seats) sec
City MPG: TBC
Highway MPG: TBC
Combined MPG: TBC

Available with HSE and HSE Luxury.

The above figures are manufacturers' estimates.

The high powered Si4 286HP engine comes with the Dynamic Design Package as standard featuring a unique bumper. Fog lights not available.

Wonder if the tow capacity has changed at all?

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
My DS lease is coming up next year and will be looking at a 6 cylinder diesel (TD6) full sized Discovery or the Range Rover Velar....
I miss the torque on an oil burner....

Unless JLR comes out with a 6 cylinder engine for the Discovery Sport....

Reactions: stux
#12 ·
I'm looking forward to having to make the agonizing choice between a new gruntier DS, a big D5 or a new Defender in a few years time when its time to refresh my current DS
Cool to know about that engine. We are keeping the DS until at least 2019. Our options within LR will be the new Defender, depending on how it turns out. I just can’t get my wife on board with a D5...not even the SVX..she doesn’t like the rear end..SMH, really? Lol
Our next option behind the Defender is just staying with the DS. I’m hoping they will have a SC V6 engine option, the V6 is awesome in the Velar, and there’s scuttlebut about a Disco Sport SVX coming up. Other than those two options, a RRS would be our last choice. If none of those pan out, we’ll just get her a cool truck. Lol

All niggles aside, we’ve gotten back to enjoying the DS. So like I said, if the Defender doesn’t meet our expectations, we’d be happy with another DS if equipped right.

#9 ·
it was hard for me to pick the DS as my first SUV.... until now I have been driving A6 3.0T and before that always with some sort of premium sedan but always V6
So now going to a heavier, bigger vehicle with I4 has been a challenge....hard to get used to the difference in acceleration, road stability and responsiveness etc..
Wanted to pick up V6 but all the LR vehicles that have V6 are really so much more money.....
Ultimately I still think I4 in LR is really nicely tuned and matched well with the trans.

Hopefully in 3 yrs or so I will be looking at V6 biturbo LR.....that would be awesome

#13 ·
Took my MY2017 HSE TD4 180 in for 34,000 KM service yesterday, was given the twin turbo MY2018 SD4 HSE as a loaner.

New engine is fantastic, very little lag and pulls away fantastically. Now has a start/stop disabled white symbol when the car doesn’t start/stop for whatever reason, front parking sensors automatically work, in dash GPS directions are white instead of green and clearer, and the boot kick gesture seems more reliable.

Fuel efficiency seems better too.

Only problem is now my turbo lag is even more annoying

#14 ·
left my 2017 HSE for service and got 2018 HSE model with the Ingenium....and only 19 miles on it :D
The engine is clearly much better.... it doesn't feel quicker, IT IS quicker.... you get less strain from the car starting from red light and while passing on the highway...going...say 45mph to 65mph
Responsiveness is better and the turbo lag is only felt when you really push it....
Suspension seems a bit more tight and stiff BUT not at the cost of comfort - just a bit less play and good balance of responsiveness, cornering and stability....was actually surprise that the car came with the Pirelli Scorpion tires
It came with the smaller screen and the buttons on both sides....which is a pity.... must have the large display...it is such a nice touch (no pun intended)

Other observations;
The rear camera can be enabled while driving....and it stays on until you switch to another mode.... funny to watch the road / cars behind you doing 70mph on the highway....actually gets a bit dizzying
my 2017 HSE camera is on only when backing out and maybe few more seconds while driving forward.... then it switches off
the cabin sounds better insulated from road/wind noise and overall less noisy....even the engine sounds pretty tamed.
Sound system is better - the 2018 has the standard system vs. Meridian in my Disco...but I must say that while my has better processing and sound quality - it quickly becomes irrelevant when you increase the volume.... BUT not with the 2018....speakers handle the loud music much better...and so does the cabin (no major reverb, rattle etc...)

Overall - I feel this is how the LR Disco Sport should have been from the start...

#15 ·
left my 2017 HSE for service and got 2018 HSE model with the Ingenium....and only 19 miles on it /forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
The engine is clearly much better.... it doesn't feel quicker, IT IS quicker.... you get less strain from the car starting from red light and while passing on the highway...going...say 45mph to 65mph
Responsiveness is better and the turbo lag is only felt when you really push it....
Suspension seems a bit more tight and stiff BUT not at the cost of comfort - just a bit less play and good balance of responsiveness, cornering and stability....was actually surprise that the car came with the Pirelli Scorpion tires
It came with the smaller screen and the buttons on both sides....which is a pity.... must have the large display...it is such a nice touch (no pun intended)

Other observations;
The rear camera can be enabled while driving....and it stays on until you switch to another mode.... funny to watch the road / cars behind you doing 70mph on the highway....actually gets a bit dizzying
my 2017 HSE camera is on only when backing out and maybe few more seconds while driving forward.... then it switches off
the cabin sounds better insulated from road/wind noise and overall less noisy....even the engine sounds pretty tamed.
Sound system is better - the 2018 has the standard system vs. Meridian in my Disco...but I must say that while my has better processing and sound quality - it quickly becomes irrelevant when you increase the volume.... BUT not with the 2018....speakers handle the loud music much better...and so does the cabin (no major reverb, rattle etc...)

Overall - I feel this is how the LR Disco Sport should have been from the start...
Nice to hear about the engine.

On a side note, our 2015 HSE Lux has the vision assist package. I can activate any camera angle at any time, at any speed for as long as I want. Very handy when off roading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.