LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 09-21-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wife Lost the FOB

Hey group,

The wife went out shopping, she can never have enough tops, shoes, pants, and handbags, and she misplaced her FOB for the DS. I called the dealer, and they?re saying it will be about $700 plus tax to have it replaced and reprogrammed. This on top of the $900 plus tax they want to service my vehicle for the 32,000 km service.

So, I ordered a FOB off eBay, so I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this, and whether I can just have it programmed by a local locksmith, or whether I am mandated to bring it into the dealership and have them program it?

I have attached a picture of the one I have ordered off eBay.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B02A1A5-284D-4FBC-A791-66CD3485276C_1506019638781.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	6234  
post #2 of 20 Old 09-21-2017, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hey, kev - not sure about programming the fob, but don't forget about the emergency key. That definitely will not match

2016 DS HSE, Corris Grey w/Black Pack, Climate Comfort Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Vision Assist, Audio Upgrade, 5+2 seating, Protection Pack, Black Roof Rails
post #3 of 20 Old 09-21-2017, 05:57 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
probably 100% sure you will have to go to the dealership for reprogramming, if they will re-programme an Ebay knockoff and I don't think many locksmiths would have the blank key for the emergency key.

Phone MCL for a price for both jobs.

Personally I may have placed the wife on E-Bay

Good Luck

post #4 of 20 Old 09-22-2017, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Make sure your seller will take it back for a refund should the programming not work.

Most of these key fobs are programmed already and will not reprogram. I know - I tried with a BMW fob I bought on Ebay...

Only "Virgin" key fobs can be programmed.

2016 DS HSE - 5+2 3rd Row, Climate Comfort, Driver Assistance +, Audio Upgrade, Gloss Black Roof Rails
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-27-2017, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I can empathize. After two lost fobs experienced in married life, we got Tiles. Complete life saver. Sympathies, and I'd be interested in what you get charged.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-29-2017, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hiyas kevboy55

Quote:
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this
Fortunately, understanding all of this is just a part of my job and we heavily researched all of this quite some while ago and I am happy to share what I know.

A lot of the information provided on this thread is correct but unfortuntely either out of date or not specifically relevant in this particular case.

LR first introduced Keyless start / Entry in 2010 in their vehicles with the Remote Function Actuator (RFA) or Keyless Vehicle Module (KVM) ECU. Back then depending on the model the hardware numbers started with AH22, AH32 or AH42.

The inital A translates into 10 in Hexidecimal, indicating the year.

In inital attempts to address the now well known security vunerabilities this introduced, there were a number of software updates released for these, In a loosing battle LR introduced the BJ32 RFA / KVM hardware, followed also with a number of software updates and then my own personal favorite of the DPLA that you have to upload some code to before you can get it to learn new Key. I have about 3 of these

However this was still not a total solution and last I knew was that in 2015 they introduced and started fitting the FK72 as standard.

A New vehicle delivered to a dealer has an FK72 that has the code within it to learn new (Virgin) keys allowing dealers to add additional keys at that point in time, but part of the PDI process removes that code that cannot later be re installed.

Therfore dealers retro adding new keys in 2015 on vehicles with the FK72 involves replacing the FK72 RFA / KVM. Of course dealers have have some exchange scheme in place.

In our low level research, we have actually figured out how to virginise used 2010 keys, and alhough I have about 10 virgin keys in stock, 8 uncut emergency key blanks along with 3 new FK72 RFA / KVM's and a 2016 DS that has only one Key and also have the same kinda wife, I also have other things that take higher priority than this.

In summation though, even if you managed to get aa Virgin Key on EBay, as an owner of a 2015 on vehicle with an FK72 you also need a virgin RFA / KVM and a someone to reprogram you old and new Key to it.

Hope this helps
post #7 of 20 Old 09-30-2017, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi All,

I'm in a world of pain! Both my keys have been stolen for my 2016 Disco Sport. I've called a couple of dealers and one has quoted 'between $4k-$5k (Australian Dollar) for the new KVM!!!!!! Surely this can't be correct?? I nearly had a heart attack when he told me. Has anyone experience of this or advice please? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-01-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As I stated on my previous post in this thread, I humbly believe that I happen to know quite a bit on this aspect and as I think I already mentionied, I believe and understand that dealers adding / programming keys to a vehicles from 2015 onwards and so fitted with the FK72 KVM / RFA have an exchange scheme in place and so should not need to be charging customers for replacing the KVM, just for the keys and programming.

To assist you I have looked up the documentation

The LR service bulletin for this is Q491v5 which I hope I have managed to attach a copy of to this post, despite size restrictions.

But otherwise this bulletin, entitled "Consequential Replacement of Remote Function Actuator (RFA)" clearly states;

Quote:
After this point, should an owner require added key fobs (due to loss etc.), the RFA will require replacement. As previously, the customer will still be liable for the key fob, cutting of the mechanical key blade, and programming of the RFA, but not the cost of the new RFA itself. This bulletin therefore exists to cover the cost of procurement and fitting of a new RFA to make sure that customers are not disadvantaged by this product enhancement.
I hope this helps beyond just experience or help and empowers you with assistant information. But please be aware that Dealers don't like it when they realise that you know more than they do ;-)

I personally will soon be asking my local LR dealer to freely procure and fit a new (albeit I know will actually be an exchange) RFA to my own 2016 MY Disco Sport, rather than using one of those that I have in stock, after which I will then myself re learn the origional Key and maybe another one or two with our own equipment. My own dealer won't seem overly amazed by this though, as we have helped them out many times before with these kinda problems and many others.

ATB

Colin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Q491v5.pdf (18.7 KB, 245 views)
MGLarry, vvarma and tgocollins like this.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-01-2017, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Thank you for this important bulletin!
Do let us know how much total cost you incur for a key fob replacement ?

2016 DS HSE - 5+2 3rd Row, Climate Comfort, Driver Assistance +, Audio Upgrade, Gloss Black Roof Rails
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-02-2017, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Great ending to this story for me. The FOB was actually found and returned to us by the staff at the Old Navy in Langley. Great crew there, saved us a ton of money.
VirTERM and ksu499 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page