Discovery Sport Forum banner

Do you use regular gas

79K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  USER.000 
#1 ·
Hi all, just a general question as to whether anybody uses regular gas instead of premium.

While LR recommends premium gas, Ford does not. Ford also shows similar hp and torques numbers, some applications are a little lower, some a little higher.

Does anybody know why we need premium gas?

#2 ·
According to the manual:

"Jaguar Land Rover Limited requires the use of premium unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) to contribute to peak performance, fuel economy and driveability.

"If premium unleaded fuel is not available, you may use unleaded fuel with a lower octane rating, down to a minimum of 87 AKI, but this may reduce engine performance, increase fuel consumption, cause audible engine 'knock' and other driveability problems."

I use regular most of the time. I don't notice any issues.

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
In the Disco I run 91 and 100% real gas 95% of the time. Runs great and gets very good MPGs. Feels sluggish with anything less to me.

The manual for my RAM 1500 recommends 89 so I run 89 with 100% real gas. Most others just throw 87 in theirs without any apparent problems.

#12 ·
Mechanic at dealer assured me today that while the Disco uses a Ford casting for the block, all other mechanical components are manufactured in house by Land Rover or made to Land Rover specs.Other than sharing the same oil filter as the Ford no other parts are interchangeable.

As an aside, in Canada major high octane fuels also contain higher concentration of cleaners

#13 ·
I am a convert of Regular gas now. I experimented to see if there was any differences in gas mileage between the various gasoline types (each w/ 10% Ethanol): Premium 92 vs Plus 89 vs Regular 87. With a full tank of gas, they all pretty much came out to approx. 400miles (±4miles) before I need to refuel. I also tested between the various driving modes: Standard "D" (w/ Auto Stop-Start ON) vs Eco Mode (w/ Auto Stop-Start ON) vs Standard "D" (w/ Auto Stop-Start OFF) and they ALL achieve approx. 400miles as well. (Footnote: I did NOT test in Sport mode as I can't stand driving w/ two hands on the wheel and changing gears w/ either hand; they should have a Tiptronic as a stick shift.)

However, it is unclear what the outcome of the engine will be when using Regular gas for an extended period of years. We shall revisit this conversation in 8yrs time. (That's when I usually purchase a new vehicle.)

#15 ·
When I test drove our car (used with 6800 KM on it) drove smooth and started with no hesitation at lights. Salesman insisted he always uses low grade fuel in his personal cars and he filled the car for us before we left the lot. Drove 385 KM and after fill up the car used 13.5 L/100 KM with about 75% city driving. Car shifted poorly and started with a jerk at stop lights.

Filled up with premium fuel ( with no ethanol) drove 471 KM and car used 12.3 L/100 KM with about 95% city driving. After filling with premium the car shifted better and started at lights with no jerking.

So using premium gave app 9% better fuel economy and much better driveabilty. Of course non ethanol fuel gives better economy and performance , especially in turbo charged engines, than 10% ethanol gas at the same octane. I wonder what the zero to 100KM times are with different fuels???

Small print in most brochures states that the fuel economy was tested using premium non ethanol fuel to get the results. :)

#16 ·
Darn can't edit the above post. I think the site only gives a very small time frame to do so.

The above results are computed using actual odometer readings and litres at the pump and not the on-board computer. Will have to test the accuracy of the computer on a long trip over many fuel ups.

#17 ·
Here is a baseline of my driving results w/ the various fuel type and driving mode combinations. I pretty much use the same route to/from work each day (which incorporates approx. 50% highway and 50% city), however, keep in mind traffic congestion may be heavier on certain days. I was hoping Eco Mode would result in better gas mileage but no.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.