One step forward five back...
1) Tried again with the dealer / service for the acceleration problem. 3 weeks +200 miles (second 3 week) - results - "Cannot reproduce". Is this an ability thing or is it a denial thing?... I'm not sure.
2) I had a whole sheet that DETAILED the symptoms and steps to reproduce plus a few more items. This appears to have gone nowhere near the technicians. The descriptions on the service ticket receipt given to us is nowhere near what I had detailed. (Side note - I had a tire rotation on the list, no tire rotation was done. So IMO the sheet was ignored in total)
3) Service applied a "shift point" patch to the transmission. Now the problem seems worse and more stuttering. Haven't see the massive loss of power, but it's still there and now is more often.
4) Had a 2019 LRDS as a loaner. The problems still exist in the 2019 - however the patch used in #2
on my 2017 pretty much replicates the 2019.
5) Now the DSC - off - trick no longer works after the "shift point" patch.
Bottom Line - We're done - looking for a new car... (for those asking - they offered us the same trade-in value as the market and no deal on new).
***A brighter note related to this thread is that the procedure for clearing the learning does work for me and mostly reduces / band-aids the problem.
Hope everyone is having better luck...