LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-27-2016, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cabin Filter Location

Hi

I was thinking of changing my pollen/cabin filter but couldn't figure out where it was located! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
post #2 of 23 Old 11-24-2016, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Just did this today (sorry did not take pictures). The pollen filter is behind the center console, it is access by removing the panel below the glove box on the passenger side, this is near the fuses that are behind the glove box. There are three (3) clips at the bottom edge furthest away from the windshield. Once you have that off look under the dash, toward the center console and you will see a white door with three spots where is clips closed, in our discovery, one of the clips was partially blocked by a metal tab on the bracket that secures the fuse box and wiring loom to the firewall, I had to bend that in a bit to allow me to unclip and remove the white door. Once the door is off you have access to the filter, although there is not clearance to pull it straight out, so you need to bend it in as you pull the filter out. Take care to note the direction of the air flow (toward the passenger compartment) so that you put it back the right way. To install just reverse the procedure.
4sallypat, jabba1900, Paul and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-24-2016, 02:51 PM
LRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Have you guys started looking around for aftermarket filters? Usually by now with how long the Disco has been on the market there should be a number of them, even if its from a brand that makes OEM-spec aftermarket filters.

post #4 of 23 Old 11-25-2016, 10:05 AM

Garage
I found and used Fram filters for all of the 1) cabin filter - FRAM CF10435 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter, 2) Air Filter - FRAM CA11485 Flexible Panel Air Filter, and 3) Oil Filter - FRAM Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter, XG3614. You can also find the Mahle filters on Amazon, the cabin and air filters that I pulled out were LR original and marked with the Mahle brand when I pulled them out.
4sallypat likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-29-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenvo65 View Post
Just did this today (sorry did not take pictures). The pollen filter is behind the center console, it is access by removing the panel below the glove box on the passenger side, this is near the fuses that are behind the glove box. There are three (3) clips at the bottom edge furthest away from the windshield. Once you have that off look under the dash, toward the center console and you will see a white door with three spots where is clips closed, in our discovery, one of the clips was partially blocked by a metal tab on the bracket that secures the fuse box and wiring loom to the firewall, I had to bend that in a bit to allow me to unclip and remove the white door. Once the door is off you have access to the filter, although there is not clearance to pull it straight out, so you need to bend it in as you pull the filter out. Take care to note the direction of the air flow (toward the passenger compartment) so that you put it back the right way. To install just reverse the procedure.
Hello. Those three square clips, how to remove without breaking? The plastic is very stiff and pulling with normal force did nothing.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-29-2016, 02:28 PM

Garage
Once I bent the one metal bracket out of the way, I was able to release the top two with finger pressure and the bottom one I gently used a flat head screwdriver to pry again the bent metal bracket to free it. Once you get the three loose my dropped free from the opposite side, it looks like a hinge but does not act as one, just a lip to hold the door on.

Clearly not meant to be an easy DYI job, maybe this is how they justify $500 to $600 for this service?
post #7 of 23 Old 11-29-2016, 03:20 PM

Thanks, sounds like that is the next challenge but I was referring to the first step, removing the 3 clips holding the plastic panel under the glove box. Those are located at the top of that panel, and the bottom of that panel hold onto the footwell.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-29-2016, 03:34 PM

Garage
ah those - yes I thought i might break them, but luckily didn't. I used a screwdriver to pry them out, if you look closely you can squeeze them in, toward the center and then get a screwdriver under the edge on one side.

good luck
post #9 of 23 Old 10-28-2017, 01:01 PM

cabin air filter replacement

replacing the cabin air/pollen filter in the 2016 LR discovery sport wasn't on the minds of the design engineers. it is a pain but as with so many things, it's easier the second time and easier because of people posting helpful info so hoping to give back.

there is no need to remove or go through the glove box like other vehicles.

i just used fingernail but could use small flathead screwdriver to pop off the 3 tabs under the glove box. then the black cover just comes out easily.

then on my back on the floor board (i'm not a huge guy at 5'11 190 but it's a tight fit) i located the white plastic cover to the filter compartment. it is against the console side and has 3 tabs and is clearly the size and shape to match the filter. it also has 3 hinge-like lips on the opposite side.

to open the "door" to the filter compartment, you have to pull the 3 tabs just a bit to get them free but the problem is that there is a metal tab in front of one and a plastic electric connected in front of the middle one. i just slightly bent the metal one out of the way with pliers and pulled the plastic connector out of the two holes it is connected through. you have to be pretty forceful but just pull straight out and it will pop out without damaging the plunger like connectors. you can simply put it back when done.

then it was fairly easy to get the door off and filter out. i bought a fram engine air filter and it was good and easy to install with a phillips screwdriver. but i also bought a fram fresh breeze cabin filter with arm and hammer and it fell apart when i bent it to try to install it (necessary to bend it like a slinky). it's actually cheaper to buy the mahle and is better quality. manipulating the filter like a slinky, you can insert it and reinstall the door.

took me a long time to do the first time trying to figure it out but i would guess no more than :15 next time.
vvarma and [email protected] like this.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-27-2017, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh...My....GOD!!!! Whoever designed this set up should be drawn and quartered! This is the most difficult one I've ever seen. I want the head of the guy who signed off on this terrible design!

Took me 2 GD hours and ended up breaking 1/2 of the clips on the retainer door. Getting the new filter in is really difficult because of the angle (even though there is a slot to guide the top).

It's similar to the Evoque which has videos on YouTube, but the Discovery has the added "feature" of not being able to remove the electrical brackets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in