LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-15-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Rear brake replacement questions

Has anyone replaced their rear brakes? My brake warning came on yesterday and I was looking for info. I can find info on the earlier Evoque's but not the Disco Sport (the newer Evoque uses the same rear brakes).

I am going to replace the rotors and pads. I am not going with ceramic pads this time. I feel that the ceramic pads are not doing a good enough job of scrubbing off the rust that a semi-metalic pad could do. The rust build-up on the old rotors is why I think that I am replacing the pads at 19k miles.

I did brakes on my RRS and Defender, so I an somewhat used to Land Rover brakes, but I could use some tips with the EPB.

Thanks in advance.

2016 Disco Sport HSE
1986 Defender 110 300TDI
2008 Range Rover Sport (gone)
1977 Land Rover 88" SW (gone)
post #2 of 20 Old 01-24-2018, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by red64chevelle View Post
Has anyone replaced their rear brakes? My brake warning came on yesterday and I was looking for info. I can find info on the earlier Evoque's but not the Disco Sport (the newer Evoque uses the same rear brakes).

I am going to replace the rotors and pads. I am not going with ceramic pads this time. I feel that the ceramic pads are not doing a good enough job of scrubbing off the rust that a semi-metalic pad could do. The rust build-up on the old rotors is why I think that I am replacing the pads at 19k miles.

I did brakes on my RRS and Defender, so I an somewhat used to Land Rover brakes, but I could use some tips with the EPB.

Thanks in advance.
more or less just a question did you get around to doing the brakes in the rear if so... how difficult was it I understand that their is a sensor on each side.... but I'm nor sure as the electronic e-brake and what not... let me know!

J.Clarke
post #3 of 20 Old 01-26-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I did it last weekend. Not tough at all. There are videos on how to set the EPB for Maintenance Mode. After you do that, you can use a c-clamp, big pliers, piston retracting tool, etc... to push the piston back into the caliper. Do be careful with a c-clamp or pliers, the EPB motor is on the back side os the caliper.

The sensor is only on the passenger side. The sensor harness and plug is MUCH easier to get to than it was on my old RRS.

For parts I used:

Raybestos rotors P/N 981820
Centric pads P/N 104.18210
Carlson Sensor P/N 19146 (LR P/N LR072544)

Tools that I remember:
7mm allen for caliper slide bolts
15mm for caliper carrier bolts
6 or 8mm for some little bracket bolt that was in the way of the lower carrier bolt
Big Torx for the rotor retaining screw (like a T30 or something)

I have driven about 600 miles since then. Zero complaints. The rotors have not been building up any rust in the friction area. They are painted/coated, and have had zero rust in the non-friction area. No vibration or squealing either.
jabba1900 and Paul like this.

2016 Disco Sport HSE
1986 Defender 110 300TDI

post #4 of 20 Old 01-27-2018, 01:19 AM

Garage
hmmm, funny you mention the sensor, cause I was told by JLR that their was one for each caliper, in any case I suppose I will do them myself! haha if it is that easy and no special computers needed to reset anything. did you have to replace the sensors? I'm just doing a regular pad and rotor change on my vehicle as it is due, not so much for enhanced performance.

J.Clarke
post #5 of 20 Old 01-27-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Nope, just one sensor for the Passenger side rear caliper (inner pad only). I have not done the front brakes yet, but on my old RRS there was one sensor in the rear, and one in the front. The sensors look to be the same design, just with different length harnesses.

No computer or anything is required to clear the message. When you turn on the ignition after replacing the pads/sensor, the brake pad warning will be clear. It will also clear from your Land Rover Remote App on your phone.

If I understand your last statement, you don't have the warning message yet, and you want to know if you need to replace the sensor? If that is correct:

I would have the sensor on-hand prior to changing the pads/rotors. The plastic of the sensor gets hard and brittle with the heat on the pad. I tried swapping a set of pads on another truck once and the sensor broke as soon as I started to pull it out of the pad.

If you have the warning already, the sensor has tripped (by wearing into the rotor), and must be replaced with the pads and/or rotors.

2016 Disco Sport HSE
1986 Defender 110 300TDI
post #6 of 20 Old 01-27-2018, 11:47 PM

Garage
Yeah no warning as yet unless the warning is "service required", in which case thats from an oil change that I haven't reset yet out of laziness lol. But I do have the parts on hand and ready to do the work when time permits.

J.Clarke
post #7 of 20 Old 05-09-2018, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello All...

Thought I would jump into this thread with a question I am hoping you might know the answer to. I was told at my latest service appointment that my rear brake pads are at 1-2ml and need to be changed. I only have 24,000kms on the car. Is this normal? My other cars (non-Land Rover) have always gone 40,000+ before pads are needed.

I want to make sure this is normal, and not the dealership trying to gouge me for $800.

Any help, much appreciated!
post #8 of 20 Old 05-09-2018, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesShtpole View Post
Hello All...

Thought I would jump into this thread with a question I am hoping you might know the answer to. I was told at my latest service appointment that my rear brake pads are at 1-2ml and need to be changed. I only have 24,000kms on the car. Is this normal? My other cars (non-Land Rover) have always gone 40,000+ before pads are needed.

I want to make sure this is normal, and not the dealership trying to gouge me for $800.

Any help, much appreciated!
just had mine done last week. The rear ones. 35000km and my dealer said I was in the range for it.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-15-2018, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice Post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-15-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Same here. I replaced mine at 20k miles or 32k kilometers.

2016 Disco Sport HSE
1986 Defender 110 300TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page