"Exhaust" smell inside of the vehicle... - Page 5 - Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 43 Old 10-25-2018, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just posted this for the same issue on another thread that was talking about Carbon Monoxide (CO) which is odorless. In this thread where you can actually smell something I would go to solution #2 below. What you are smelling might be Hydrocarbons (HC), or Nitrogen Oxides (NOx). All these gasses are very dangerous if coming into the cab of the vehicle.

I have 2 ideas that may help. 1. Home Depot sells a battery operated Carbon Monoxide detector that has a digital display. One of them is made by kidde, they have a 2 pack for $40.00. They have other brands to choose from with the display as well. You can find them on their website or in the store.

I do not have this problem with my Discovery Sport I just bought the detector for the house. When a vehicle is fist started with a cold engine that is when emissions are the highest out of the tail pipe because the catalytic converter is not yet hot enough to burn up the unused gases. I tested this device by placing it near the exhaust pipe when I started up the cold engine and it did read and display a high CO (carbon monoxide) reading. As the engine and emission components warmed up the CO reading went to zero.

2. You could also bring your DS to an independent repair shop that has an automotive grade emissions analyzer. (Instead of LR who may be trying to protect themselves from a buy back situation. It is also possible they do not have an emissions analyzer as they are very expensive and require maintenance). If you live in California I can help you find a shop that has one.

With the Home Depot unit, or the automotive grade analyzer you could take photos or live video of the event and bring it to LR to help settle your case.
post #42 of 43 Old 11-04-2018, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had this in my RR Evoque. It turned out to be a leaking gasket. On the Evoque it was quite a job to fix the gasket, had to remove some other stuff to get to it and the local Land Rover dealer quoted me over $3,000 to fix the gasket. I contacted Land Rover (USA) and they agreed to cover the cost, my warranty expired 3 weeks earlier! Really grateful to the guys - and also why I ended up buying another Land Rover when the time came around this year! The gasket fix immediately stopped the smell.
post #43 of 43 Old 05-06-2019, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I know I updating an old post but my LRDS 2017 had the same issue of leaking exhaust to turbo gasket. This is fully known by Land Rover and it was due to outsourcing of the manufacturing of the parts. A new exhaust catalyst pipe to Turbo is required, this was 900 on the job sheet. You can tell it is leaking because the inside of the turbo shield is covered in carbon. Very easy to remove this shield with only a couple of screws. Turbo is mounted at back of engine at just under bonnet at the back. so a 5 minute job just to check it is leaking.

Neil - Burgess Hill, England, UK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page