"Exhaust" smell inside of the vehicle... - Page 3 - Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 50 Old 01-25-2017, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, now another update on my exhaust fumes in the cabin problem. I never got to bring the car into service to explore this yet. Thought it fixed itself. Curious that another poster said the problem disappeared after a while. Mine did too, but then I noticed that it seemed to return recently. Then it went away again. Why?

I really think it now has to do with the outside temperature, and the car's climate settings. For most of this winter now, no smell. All perfect. Then, we had a day when the outside temperature went above 50'. I started the car. I forgot to turn "auto" off. I backed up out of my driveway. The exhaust smell was back! I drove off, the smell disappeared. What?

Is there a sensor in there somewhere that stops outside air from being drawn in (plus fumes) when the outside temp falls below 50'??? And if the outside temp is over 50' does this sensor allow outside cool air in to augment the air conditioning if needed????

But, even if this is the case, why is engine exhaust able to enter the cabin at all? I suspect the problem will be back in the spring, disappear in the summer (no more cool outside air), will be back in the fall, and will then disappear again in the winter.

Turning "auto" off, seems to help, but not completely.

Wonderful.
post #22 of 50 Old 01-25-2017, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Well, here in the south (Texas) we have had all sorts of temperatures recently - mid teens to 80's. I have yet to smell exhaust fumes in the vehicle - and my climate control is set at Auto most frequently, but not always and back out of the driveway - so should pull in exhaust fumes as I back up. I do not keep my DS garaged - so maybe that's a contributing factor...

2016 Disco Sport HSE, Corris Grey/Black Pack, Driver Assist Plus, Vision Assist, Climate Comfort, Protection Pack, 3rd row 5+2, Gloss Black Roof Rails
post #23 of 50 Old 03-01-2017, 05:27 PM

Persistent Fuel Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
I've had the same fuel odor inside my Discovery Sport. Land Rover worked with my dealer to replace the 2015 model with a 2016 and it's still happening. It happens when the vehicle is first started and while standing still. In my opinion, this is a dangerous health and safety issue that Land Rover needs to fix.
I am pregnant and AGREE - this is dangerous and making me very nervous. My 2016 disco is at the service center now for the 2nd time trying to address this exact issue and they "can't find anything wrong" nor do they "smell the gas smell." Incredibly frustrating.

post #24 of 50 Old 03-03-2017, 07:01 PM

We are in the same situation – the problems with our Discovery Sport (strong smell of exhaust gases inside the cabin) started one week after having received the car, and a couple of days later a lot of smoke started to come from the hood... (the car had less than 250 miles). It took the service centre several weeks to have the issue repaired. They told us that they have replaced some parts with manufacturing defects, but refrained to tell which were and did not give any document at all. In spite of said replacements, we have experienced again the strong smell of exhaust gases inside the cabin (the car has now less than 600 miles). We agree with previous opinions that this is a very dangerous health and safety issue that Land Rover needs to address urgently.
post #25 of 50 Old 03-05-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedFamily View Post
We are in the same situation – the problems with our Discovery Sport (strong smell of exhaust gases inside the cabin) started one week after having received the car, and a couple of days later a lot of smoke started to come from the hood... (the car had less than 250 miles). It took the service centre several weeks to have the issue repaired. They told us that they have replaced some parts with manufacturing defects, but refrained to tell which were and did not give any document at all. In spite of said replacements, we have experienced again the strong smell of exhaust gases inside the cabin (the car has now less than 600 miles). We agree with previous opinions that this is a very dangerous health and safety issue that Land Rover needs to address urgently.
NO GOOD! The service department should ALWAYS give you a service ticket that lists EVERY detail of what they did to your vehicle. If they did not provide you with one, I would call Land Rover USA...or UK immediately. Let them know what happened and demand a record of your service visit.
While you are at it, have them open a case on your behalf on this exhaust smell issue and they will communicate with the service department of your dealership until its solved.

Again, ours has seemed to resolve itself, but if it returns its going in to the dealership and LR USA is getting a call.

Disco Disco!!
Good Good!!

Last edited by DiscoDisco; 03-05-2017 at 12:15 AM.
post #26 of 50 Old 03-05-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedMama View Post
I am pregnant and AGREE - this is dangerous and making me very nervous. My 2016 disco is at the service center now for the 2nd time trying to address this exact issue and they "can't find anything wrong" nor do they "smell the gas smell." Incredibly frustrating.
Call Land Rover USA..or UK. Tell them what's going on, tell them your experience with the dealership and that that have been unable to resolve it. They'll open a case and help get it fixed.

This is the best course of action for any LR owner that feels stonewalled by their dealership.

Disco Disco!!
Good Good!!
post #27 of 50 Old 04-05-2017, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Gas fumes

I have a horrible exhaust/gas fume smell in my 2016 DS too when idling, but especially after parking and coming back to the car a few minutes later and starting up.

Going in for 20k service soon and fully expecting the typical corporate garbage line of , "could not replicate."
mjwandssw likes this.
post #28 of 50 Old 04-22-2017, 07:24 AM

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I’ve posted my story on a new thread but I also feel is necessary to leave a message here.
I also own a Land Rover discovery sport which is approximately 10 months old. I’ve visited the main dealer approximately 10 times with various different problems. Squeaks coming from the rear of the vehicle, breaks sounded like a freight train when you first apply them in the morning, poor fuel consumption and also the dreaded burning smell.
It was only open to recently I realise the most serious problem is the burning smell. After travelling on a few long journeys my twin boys nearly 14 started to become travel sick. To cut a long story short I ended up purchasing a carbon monoxide meter. When the smell occurred I will turn on the meter to my horror I found out we did have in fact a carbon monoxide leak. I am aware that carbon monoxide is odourless. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of fuel not combusting properly so it stands to reason they may be a carbon monoxide present when the smell is there. What was alarming is I was often getting a carbon monoxide reading when there was no smell present at all, it didn’t always coincide with the burning smell which is more worrying.
I made Land Rover aware of this issue after showing them a video which I’ve now uploaded to YouTube. Previously they didn’t acknowledge there was a problem but after seeing the video they did in fact say head office is aware of this issue. The part that connects to the catalytic converter apparently is deformed and allows emissions to escape entering the vehicle through the ventilation system. There was no lodger as to when this would occur as it was often random. I am now in the process of rejecting my vehicle as I am aware this problem is widespread across new and old Land Rover discovery sport models.
I purchased the carbon monoxide meter from Amazon, notice I said meter, not detector. I would advise you to do the same, it is better to be safe than sorry. Often the seller will allow you to return the meter as long as it’s in its original condition within 14 days.
mjwandssw likes this.
post #29 of 50 Old 05-19-2017, 12:12 PM

I have experienced a similar problem and just had the catalytic converter replaced - more specifically the issue relates to the flange connecting to the turbo. This was cracked / misaligned and led to the occasional odour and fume problem. The temperature can be an issue I think depending upon how this affects the connection and/or performance of the engine in general. So far (and it's been less than 24 hours), so good but will obviously monitor! My dealer spotted the issue by noticing some soot deposits on the pipe near to the turbo.
Hope this helps.
post #30 of 50 Old 06-09-2017, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alunmack View Post
I have experienced a similar problem and just had the catalytic converter replaced - more specifically the issue relates to the flange connecting to the turbo. This was cracked / misaligned and led to the occasional odour and fume problem. The temperature can be an issue I think depending upon how this affects the connection and/or performance of the engine in general. So far (and it's been less than 24 hours), so good but will obviously monitor! My dealer spotted the issue by noticing some soot deposits on the pipe near to the turbo.
Hope this helps.
what year is your car? I got similar issue and they could not find the problem. They got hydrocarbon meter and measure the air inside however no carbon detected in the car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page