Ticking noise from back - Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum
User Tag List

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Weeble
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-12-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ticking noise from back

Hey all,

Another rattle package issue here.

Is there anyone who had a similar noise like this constant ticking noise?

(radio off)
(radio on)

I can hear the noise even with the radio on. Is this coming from tailgate or second-row seat?

P.S. I am pretty much done with the b-pillar ticking issue. I will just try to fix it by myself when the warranty is over. I thought it was fixed eventually, but it started to happen again and again.
urazen is offline  
post #2 of 8 Old 08-15-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Anyone? Any small clue would be highly appreciated!
urazen is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 08-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had that it went to the dealer twice for adjustment to the rear light cluster bar. Plastic against metal. They didn't fix it but I did with WD40.
urazen likes this.
Weeble is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 08-26-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeble View Post
I had that it went to the dealer twice for adjustment to the rear light cluster bar. Plastic against metal. They didn't fix it but I did with WD40.
Thanks for your comment. I am quite surprised that WD40 fixed it. How do you think about putting rattle & squeak reduction tape? Would it be too thick?

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
urazen is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 08-27-2019, 04:08 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am not sure about the tape. Mine was a quick fix attempt and it has worked for 3 years now. I still have a noise like wire rattles above the front centre of the headlining. The dealers have had 2 chances to fix it and failed miserably. It is a pity that such a good vehicle should be spoiled by rattles and leaks.
Weeble is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 09-12-2019, 03:43 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sure rattles are part of the deal with the Disco Sports. It's a reminder of the LR heritage, a farm vehicle! JLR wanted to cut out my B pillars, pull out the interior lining, and re-weld them back again and re-spray, no thanks! After three years something must have fallen off because it's now quieter from that quarter and I'm looking for a spare bolt or screw on the floor. Now the dash rattles on anything but a mirror surface. You will find that because of the amount of plastic used, rattles and ticks transfer from all locations. For ages it sounded like my rear or front passenger doors weren't closed. I keep some tools under the spare wheel and had to insulate the whole cavity with 12mm thick rubber foam and that fixed it. A tick in the drivers door came from the pull ring of a fire extinguisher in the boot. Its worth taking absolutely everything out of the car, see if it still rattles and gradually replace items to see what sets of the rattles.
Hunter is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 09-16-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
I'm sure rattles are part of the deal with the Disco Sports. It's a reminder of the LR heritage, a farm vehicle! JLR wanted to cut out my B pillars, pull out the interior lining, and re-weld them back again and re-spray, no thanks! After three years something must have fallen off because it's now quieter from that quarter and I'm looking for a spare bolt or screw on the floor. Now the dash rattles on anything but a mirror surface. You will find that because of the amount of plastic used, rattles and ticks transfer from all locations. For ages it sounded like my rear or front passenger doors weren't closed. I keep some tools under the spare wheel and had to insulate the whole cavity with 12mm thick rubber foam and that fixed it. A tick in the drivers door came from the pull ring of a fire extinguisher in the boot. Its worth taking absolutely everything out of the car, see if it still rattles and gradually replace items to see what sets of the rattles.
Thanks for the note, Hunter. I also bought trim removal tools, but haven't tried it yet. Do you think opening up the tailgate would be worth? Do you happen to know how to open it up?
urazen is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 10-04-2019, 04:53 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rattles

Quote:
Originally Posted by urazen View Post
Thanks for the note, Hunter. I also bought trim removal tools, but haven't tried it yet. Do you think opening up the tailgate would be worth? Do you happen to know how to open it up?
Sorry urazen for not replying sooner. I would first check what's in the boot and under the spare wheel eg tools (if 4 seater). There appears to be a starting point for removing the tailgate trim at the bottom left hand side but it doesn't look that straight forward. The baggage cover can also be noisy if not extended. I was tempted to do the same with my driver's front door, rattles drove me crazy but after a while they lessened and stopped, something probably dropped off. It might first be worth asking your dealer what to expect in removing the rear trim. I have had a dealer's mechanic sitting in each seat while I drive trying to trace rattles and even he was perplexed. I have never had a car that so much amplifies anything that might tick or rattle. Good luck in your search.
Hunter is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome