User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-20-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Constant Auto-Shut off during fueling

Hello, I have a peculiar problem that started this past summer and seems to be getting worse. I have a 2016 Disco Sport with 30K miles on it.

Putting fuel in it has become a maddening process. The gas pump constantly shuts off and it takes me 3-4 times as long to fuel it as it had in the past. I have tried to reposition the nozzle and have forgone using the handle-stop because it only takes a few seconds and it shuts off. I can hear the fuel filling up the fill-neck of the tank so I suspect something is keeping it from flowing freely but could not possible grasp what it may be. Has a vacuum developed? Or worse yet, since the fuel door does not lock (a design flaw in my opinion), has some nefarious character put something down in the tank?

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
post #2 of 6 Old 10-20-2017, 04:45 PM

I have not experienced that myself, but it sounds like a problem with limitations allowing the displaced air during filling to escape. If you have moved the nozzle around (which should allow air to escape through the fill tube) and that hasn't helped, I'm not really sure what the issue is. I'm not sure what trim level you have (or it makes a difference), but my DS does have a locking fuel door, it unlocks when you have the key nearby (just like the doors), so you wouldn't have to unlock it for access as long as you have the keys nearby (in your hand or in the car).

I recently had the joy to rent a U-Haul truck, and had the same issue at a few gas stations where the flow rate from the pumps was so high that caused shut off. Sounds like what you are experiencing. My solution in that case was either to hold the handle to control a very slow fill rate, or set the handle for a slower fill rate. I didn't experience that problem at all filling stations, just a few.

2016 DS HSE, Corris Grey w/Black Pack, Climate Comfort Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Vision Assist, Audio Upgrade, 5+2 seating, Protection Pack, Black Roof Rails
post #3 of 6 Old 10-23-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the reply. I have the HSE as well. I may find myself embarrassed but I am going to have to try and open the fuel door without the keys nearby.....

Best Regards

post #4 of 6 Old 08-11-2019, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you ever figure this out, this has been going on for awhile with mine. Can't find much out there about it.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-11-2019, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
did you finda solution

Did you ever find a solution to this?
post #6 of 6 Old 08-22-2019, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have only had this happen a few times on the DS. My last vehicle was a 2003 4Runner and it did this almost constantly. What a pain. What I figured out, is itís a combination of things.

First off, it depends on the gas station Iím at. The newer the pump handles are, the more finicky the nozzle seems to be.

Second, yellow sac spiders.. apparently there are some spiders and insects that are attracted to the tight spaces and the fuel fumes around automotive fuel systems. They like to live in and build nests inside of the ventilation tube of your fill tube. On my 4Runner, I used my air pump to blast air through the ventilation tube (small hole next to the nozzle hole under the cap) and it stopped the annoying ďstopĒ for a while.

I havenít had it enough times on the DS to warrant the air blast trick yet, but maybe the same thing is happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page