LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 08-31-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
SCG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Boot open and closing issues.

Hi. My mum has recently purchased a new Landrover Discovery Sport and we've had some unsettling issues with the boot opening and closing unintentionally - when dogs have been getting in and out, and when driving off with them in.
We shut the boot after walking a couple of weeks ago and as we drove off it started to open then stopped around a foot high. We were on the side of a road and thankfully the dogs didn't move, and we were able to shut it. But we have no idea how or why it happened. It was definitely closed properly.
Today I got one dog into the boot and it started to close as the other tried to jump in. I put my arm out to stop it but it didn't stop on the sensor - instead coming down and bruising my arm as my dog fell back landing on his back on the tarmac.
What please is causing this?
I now won't travel my dogs in there until a secondary door is fitted, or the problem is resolved.
post #2 of 27 Old 08-31-2017, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Well, this is a new one on me. Haven't experienced it myself or seen any other posts about this issue

2016 DS HSE, Corris Grey w/Black Pack, Climate Comfort Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Vision Assist, Audio Upgrade, 5+2 seating, Protection Pack, Black Roof Rails
post #3 of 27 Old 10-12-2017, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is happening me too! I told my husband I have to take it in to get looked at now that I know I am not crazy or doing anything wrong.

Last edited by SM1001; 10-12-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling

post #4 of 27 Old 10-13-2017, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have a friend who has been dealing with this very issue for weeks now with her Evoque. They kept telling her it was the rain setting off the sensors. One morning she woke up to find her boot open over night. They replaced the whole rear door for and no problems since.
post #5 of 27 Old 12-11-2017, 09:01 AM

Robbokey

I also have this problem and am waiting for a call from LR to collect and fix it. This will be the 2nd time it has had to go back. I find the problem starts when walking past the rear of the car with the key in your pocket. The tailgate then opens by itself and goes up and down like a yoyo until it decides to stop mid stream. The first time it happened I was getting something out of the boot and the tailgate hit me on the head a couple of times. I thought it might be a faulty key fob but the same thing happened with the spare key. LR can't seem to get a handle on this even though it appears a more common fault than they make out. They have suggested it could be faulty sensors. I find the easiest way to resolve the issue temporarily is to walk some way away from the car then close the tailgate with the key button. Let's hope they fix it this time.
Renata likes this.
post #6 of 27 Old 12-18-2017, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I washed the vehicle a few days ago and every time I walked by the back of the vehicle the trunk would open up. It opened about 7 or 8 times throughout the wash. Thankfully I did not get soapy water on the inside but how annoying!!
post #7 of 27 Old 12-18-2017, 03:53 PM

I would assume this applies to cars with the sensor that allows you to open with a foot motion under the rear of the car. Was not available on 2016s (or was an option - still unclear).

2016 DS HSE, Corris Grey w/Black Pack, Climate Comfort Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Vision Assist, Audio Upgrade, 5+2 seating, Protection Pack, Black Roof Rails
post #8 of 27 Old 01-05-2018, 11:12 AM

This has been an ongoing problem with my Ď17.
Liftgate opens & closes on its own, final straw is when it opened & hit my son. First time they looked at it they fixed the tailgate sensor so it would stop closing on me whenever I put groceries in the back. They couldnít replicate the opening in its own. Started opening again on its own & this time I recorded it. Iíts been at the dealership for over a month while they wait to hear back from LR. Not happy.
post #9 of 27 Old 01-08-2018, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Angry Dangerous issue for land rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand92107 View Post
This has been an ongoing problem with my Ď17.
Liftgate opens & closes on its own, final straw is when it opened & hit my son. First time they looked at it they fixed the tailgate sensor so it would stop closing on me whenever I put groceries in the back. They couldnít replicate the opening in its own. Started opening again on its own & this time I recorded it. Iíts been at the dealership for over a month while they wait to hear back from LR. Not happy.
I brought my Discovery into the dealership for the same thing, they could not duplicate it so they couldn't fix it, but when I picked it back up the technician told me I have the foot motion sensor and if something or someone does not realize it goes near the sensor it will close or open like that. I did not even know I had that option, but I found out every time I would put the shopping cart near the back to load groceries it would happen and close right onto me loading bags! I guess anything that goes near the sensor causes it to open or close, it could be a quick foot, a cart, or even a leg then it happens. If I knew that I would have never bought the car with that option! Now I know, and there is no way to shut if off which makes me so mad because I dont even want it, I never use it. It closed on me changing my grandson's diaper in the back because I laid him down there. This is a dangerous issue that Land Rover needs to find a fix for.
post #10 of 27 Old 01-09-2018, 07:59 AM

Perhaps you can permanently disconnect the sensor.

As a side note, there are many car models out there with a similar sensor (including many all LR/RR). I wonder if the others are suffering from the same issue?

Just did a quick Google search, and found similar complaints with other brands - so, not unique to the DS. Sounds like the sensor can be over-sensitive and open/close when not intended and when someone or something moves near the sensor. (didn't see any solutions for the other brands )

Last edited by MGLarry; 01-09-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in