Boot open and closing issues. - Page 2 - Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 01-15-2018, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Never had this problem, and we do have the foot sensor which I use all the time. I actually like the fact that the senors are off to the side so you don't stand in the way of the liftgate when operating it.

Now, we had a Ford Edge as a rental recently, and that had the foot sensor in the middle. That was really annoying, because several times in just a week the front of my foot ended up just under the bumper when loading and off-loading. This triggered the hatch and we had to jump to safety. At least the hatch had a pleasant chime when it was activated to warn us!
post #12 of 26 Old 01-22-2018, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
mine does this when I wash the car too- The buttons on the door handles and boot release are very sensitive the pressure of the water is enough to trigger locking/unlocking of the war and tailgate open/close.

The fix is to lock the car and put your key/fob far enough from the car so it is not in range..

I have tested this and it works- auto tailgate (activated when "kicking" the rear tyres) will not self open with water pressure alone...
post #13 of 26 Old 02-17-2018, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbokey View Post
I also have this problem and am waiting for a call from LR to collect and fix it. This will be the 2nd time it has had to go back. I find the problem starts when walking past the rear of the car with the key in your pocket. The tailgate then opens by itself and goes up and down like a yoyo until it decides to stop mid stream. The first time it happened I was getting something out of the boot and the tailgate hit me on the head a couple of times. I thought it might be a faulty key fob but the same thing happened with the spare key. LR can't seem to get a handle on this even though it appears a more common fault than they make out. They have suggested it could be faulty sensors. I find the easiest way to resolve the issue temporarily is to walk some way away from the car then close the tailgate with the key button. Let's hope they fix it this time.
Have you heard back from LR? Iím still waiting, my car has been at the dealership for 9 weeks now.

post #14 of 26 Old 02-17-2018, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any resolution with LR? The dealership is still waiting to hear from LR, they have had my car for 9 weeks!
post #15 of 26 Old 02-22-2018, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister has been returning our 2013 model to main dealer Charles Hursts for 6+ months now. Similar incidents boot lid opens at random while the vehicle is locked and also being driven up the motorway at 60+MPH also parked over night at a hotel etc. Dealer says as they cannot reproduce the problem then there isn't one,
post #16 of 26 Old 06-10-2018, 10:53 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCG View Post
Hi. My mum has recently purchased a new Landrover Discovery Sport and we've had some unsettling issues with the boot opening and closing unintentionally - when dogs have been getting in and out, and when driving off with them in.
We shut the boot after walking a couple of weeks ago and as we drove off it started to open then stopped around a foot high. We were on the side of a road and thankfully the dogs didn't move, and we were able to shut it. But we have no idea how or why it happened. It was definitely closed properly.
Today I got one dog into the boot and it started to close as the other tried to jump in. I put my arm out to stop it but it didn't stop on the sensor - instead coming down and bruising my arm as my dog fell back landing on his back on the tarmac.
What please is causing this?
I now won't travel my dogs in there until a secondary door is fitted, or the problem is resolved.
MINE DOES THE SAME. They said it was just me and perhaps i kept sitting on the key but its not. I had the baby in one hand walking past and it opened narrowly missing our heads. I wish I had never bought this car.
post #17 of 26 Old 07-04-2018, 02:51 PM

Hi. You should all be aware Lr have known of this problem for quite a while
I have that statement on an email from one of their senior managers. Customer relations will always deny the problem exists as they do not speak with the technical team.

We rejected our approved used car in the first week but allowed LR to try and fix it. They could not so agreed to buy the car back at the original price after we put 12000miles since Jan 2018.

Do not give up escalate the issue to higher management.

We bought another discovery but today we both got onto the car and heard the tailgate open, luckily our border collie stayed where she was, but it looks like another money back job. Clearly the car software has not been fully tested and has a line of instruction on the programme which causes this problem.

Hope this advice helps someone and puts further pressure on LR to play fair with their customers.

Cheers Glyn
post #18 of 26 Old 08-22-2018, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
So now I am joining the club.... after a year of ownership and only reading about this problem...this week I had it happen to me on 3 random occasions... and I don't have the foot sensor.
2 times happened when actually opening the passenger doors and once when walking around the car.
Each time the tailgate opens only 1/3....maybe half way and gets stuck there for 10 sec.... I need to physically push it down....then open it fully and close it to be able to lock the vehicle.

this car is officially driving me nuts with all the small electrical / computer issues.... and I bet I will have a hard time at the dealership as this is yet another random issue that can't be easily reproduced.

Honestly guys.... I am one pissed off customer ...I can't imagine same s..t is happening with their top line vehicles.....
Something is telling me the DS was not ready for release.....
post #19 of 26 Old 11-28-2018, 07:08 PM

Happened a few more times.... dealer couldn't reproduce (Douh !!) so of course - "no issue"
For those of you who have experienced it - was it fixed finally for you ?
What was the issue ?

This kind of issue is a complete and utter BS..... fortunately never happened while driving but come on.... I am walking around the vehicle and get almost hit with the tailgate as it opens half way and then goes down on its own and up and then gets stuck for a few seconds....

Will be calling JLR....
post #20 of 26 Old 12-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Still looking for feedback from other owners with the same issue.....let me know your resolution, if any....

thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page