Crappy/sluggish shifting returns...with a vengeance. - Page 3 - Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 11-06-2018, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It looks like they haven't fixed the problem with the 2018 model (mines a 2017).
I'm still trying to get someone to respond at the dealership I purchased the vehicle from (Madison, WI USA).
The explanation (over a year ago) that it was a transmission valve and that they would let me know when the part was available.
Still calling, still waiting.
I'm starting to regret purchasing a LR. This among a number of other things is taxing my patience.

2017 Discovery Sport HSE
post #22 of 27 Old 11-28-2018, 09:24 PM

Update...
I just retrieved my LRDS back today. 15 months and the sluggish acceleration problem may be fixed.

Finally had the sluggish acceleration transmission thing addressed.
So far it looks like the ZF transmission valve may have fixed the problem.
The process is frustrating. Getting them to acknowledge the problem was one hurdle.
Then getting the parts was another. Then getting them to call was another.
I have it back now and it "seems" okay so far.
I will keep you posted.

BTW - if anyone knows of any computer / config hacks, please post the workaround for some of the more irritating problems.

2017 Discovery Sport HSE
post #23 of 27 Old 12-01-2018, 01:08 PM

Does NOT appear to be fixed. Still hesitating around corners, stutters, launches.
Frustrated would be a severe understatement.

2017 Discovery Sport HSE

post #24 of 27 Old 12-07-2018, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
that sucks. I've learned to accept that it's going to always this way.

I'll drive it for several more years, but my next car won't be a LR.
loire17 likes this.
post #25 of 27 Old 12-19-2018, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got a 2018 with the turbo and it acts just like above, the worst being at slow speeds, barely rolling, then accelerating or turning. It feels like the car doesn't know what gear to be in, not a power issue. Even at the lowest hp/tq it would perform better than it does if all else were as they should be. It's very- very- difficult to smoothly/slowly accelerate from a stop. I feel like it wants me to drag race everyone when the light turns green, and for a second or two I basically do without trying. Don't get me wrong, I love that it wants to GO!, but for mpg and in congested downtown areas, etc, a nice-and-easy acceleration would be nice/safer.

Side note: Here are the basics (I'll post video/etc later): I also had a HUGE acceleration issue at around 4,000 miles. I had just entered I-5 near San Diego at a medium acceleration, all seemed normal. Then when attempting to speed up and switch lanes my car acted like it was governed at my current speed- no change in acceleration or rpm when I pushed the gas pedal, even for ~10 seconds- not even FLOORED. I would actually lose speed going up moderate hills at ~65 mph. It was crazy. Limped my car home and took it to the dealer the next morning. It acted super funky on the way to the dealer too. He worked me in, checked it out, and ended up reseting the computer and said not to use ECO mode. **Land Rover told him there is a software update that will address transmission/turbo issues, set to release Oct/Nov 2018. I'm in Virginia now and as of Nov 2018 they knew nothing of a software update in Richmond. I'm going to call Land Rover in Carlsbad, CA, to see if they have an update on the update.

2018 DS HSE Dynamic
post #26 of 27 Old 12-22-2018, 09:09 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
bluebow

Strange that with a different engine and transmission you report the same problems. I drove a 2018 and it acted much differently than mine.
post #27 of 27 Old 01-03-2019, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I previously had a 2013 Evoque and the acceleration was out of this world. Gear changes super smooth and it felt like a race car every time I put the foot to the pedal (with a big grin on my face). Shocking how different my 2016 DS is. I personally think it's a combination of gearbox and software. With the Evoque it would rev ups to 3000-4000 rev's before switching gears and I would sometimes even use the paddle shifters to change faster. With the DS it tries to gear up whilst the rev's are around 2000, causing it to have too little torque and it just runs out of oomph causing this sluggish behavior (until the turbo kick's in and you get this jerky behaviour). I've since adjusted my driving technique to rather gradually depress the pedal and after practicing quite a bit are now getting pretty decent acceleration. The trick seems to be to get the right balance and not floor it.

I think it would be much better if Land Rover update their software to rev higher before changing gears - but I'm starting to think they may be doing this to keep their fuel consumption stats low. They'll rather take people complaining about sluggish performance than having people complain that fuel consumption that sucks. Or maybe that 9 speed gearbox just sucks, but I can't believe they didn't discover that whilst they were designing the vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page