3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-22-2017, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Burning smell/carbon monoxide poisoning

Hello all, this is my first post. I'm writing this out of frustration and also to make people aware of the problems that I am experiencing.

I've read on a few different forums that there are people complaining about a burning smell coming through the air vents of their discovery sports. This normally occurs when the car is at a standstill after doing a small run (this normally happens when the engine has reached temperature.) the car has been taken into the dealership on more than four occasions for this fault to be diagnosed. On all four occasions they failed to diagnose what the fault was. I started to grow concerned when my two boys, nearly 14 years of age, all of a sudden, became travel sick. It was after speaking to a gas fitter that it was suggested that I might want to purchase a carbon monoxide detector . Sure enough, not only when the burning smell occurred but also without the burning smell, I was getting a reading of 30 parts per million. This didn't mean anything to me but apparently it is dangerous and particularly harmful to children. There are known cases of this in America in which it has put the driver to sleep while driving a vehicle and killed the occupants, I'm not in anyway saying that it's a discovery sport that they were driving and to my knowledge it wasn't.

I made a video to show Land Rover the carbon monoxide reading to which they did seem to take the issue seriously. They said that head office was not aware of any such burning smell being reported to them. I was essentially sent away and told to wait approximately a month before they could get my vehicle in for investigation to diagnose the fault. When asked what I should do in the meantime regarding the burning smell, the manager simply replied "put the re-circ on or wind the windows down". I wasn't happy with this and raised my dispute with Land Rover head office who got my car in earlier to be diagnosed. The senior technician showed me a picture that head office had sent him as to where to look for the fault. He also confirmed they were aware of the issue. The problem seems to be a part that connects to the catalytic converter being deformed, leaving a small gap allowing fumes to escape in to the cabin of the car. My car is still with the main dealer (about 12 days now) waiting for this part to be repaired. I have asked both the finance company and the main dealer if they would allow me to reject the car amicably to which they refused. My car has been in the main dealer over ten times for problems with the brakes squeaking, rear seat squeaking, other parts squeaking from the rear of the car, scratches being removed from the car on three separate occasions from being caused by the dealership washing the car when specifically being asked not to and finally, the back brake lights filling with water. Apparently, because they didn't find the fault for the burning smell on the first, second or third occasion, it does not qualify for the vehicle being rejected. Trying to reject the vehicle because the brakes are squeaking and also the damage caused to the body work doesn't qualify as a fault. Anyone who has a burning smell inside the car would be advised to buy a handheld carbon monoxide detector, in fact, I would recommend that anyone with a discovery sport should invest in a carbon monoxide detector as carbon monoxide is odourless. For those that already have or are thinking about investing in a carbon monoxide detector, don't assume everything is safe if the meter does not register immediately, it took a two hour run in the car for me to get the readings I got. I'm more than happy to post the video of the readings on YouTube should anyone be interested.
Denise likes this.
post #2 of 12 Old 05-17-2017, 07:49 AM

Hi,
Just to let you know that you're not the only one experiencing this problem. However, in contrast to you, I have found my dealership very helpful - I'm currently driving around in a complimentary Range Rover! The issue was spotted within half a day because of soot deposits close to the turbo. On the downside, this seems to be more widespread than Land Rover are admitting because my car has now been awaiting parts for nearly 2 weeks. I will update the thread if I get any specific details but my fault was originally reported as a split pipe between cat and turbo.
Regards
Alun
Renata likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-17-2018, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if you managed to get the issue sorted and how Land Rover were in dealing with you. Apologetic?
Renata likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-10-2018, 10:48 PM

Exclamation Fume issue

Hi have the same issue, it's so bad it gave my 4-year-old a nose bleed. My car has had 2 new engines and the service log is 3 pages. Please Please if you are reading this DO NOT BUY A 2017 Disc Sport. They are poorly manufactured and have serious issues.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-10-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreCrap View Post
Hello all, this is my first post. I'm writing this out of frustration and also to make people aware of the problems that I am experiencing.

I've read on a few different forums that there are people complaining about a burning smell coming through the air vents of their discovery sports. This normally occurs when the car is at a standstill after doing a small run (this normally happens when the engine has reached temperature.) the car has been taken into the dealership on more than four occasions for this fault to be diagnosed. On all four occasions they failed to diagnose what the fault was. I started to grow concerned when my two boys, nearly 14 years of age, all of a sudden, became travel sick. It was after speaking to a gas fitter that it was suggested that I might want to purchase a carbon monoxide detector . Sure enough, not only when the burning smell occurred but also without the burning smell, I was getting a reading of 30 parts per million. This didn't mean anything to me but apparently it is dangerous and particularly harmful to children. There are known cases of this in America in which it has put the driver to sleep while driving a vehicle and killed the occupants, I'm not in anyway saying that it's a discovery sport that they were driving and to my knowledge it wasn't.

I made a video to show Land Rover the carbon monoxide reading to which they did seem to take the issue seriously. They said that head office was not aware of any such burning smell being reported to them. I was essentially sent away and told to wait approximately a month before they could get my vehicle in for investigation to diagnose the fault. When asked what I should do in the meantime regarding the burning smell, the manager simply replied "put the re-circ on or wind the windows down". I wasn't happy with this and raised my dispute with Land Rover head office who got my car in earlier to be diagnosed. The senior technician showed me a picture that head office had sent him as to where to look for the fault. He also confirmed they were aware of the issue. The problem seems to be a part that connects to the catalytic converter being deformed, leaving a small gap allowing fumes to escape in to the cabin of the car. My car is still with the main dealer (about 12 days now) waiting for this part to be repaired. I have asked both the finance company and the main dealer if they would allow me to reject the car amicably to which they refused. My car has been in the main dealer over ten times for problems with the brakes squeaking, rear seat squeaking, other parts squeaking from the rear of the car, scratches being removed from the car on three separate occasions from being caused by the dealership washing the car when specifically being asked not to and finally, the back brake lights filling with water. Apparently, because they didn't find the fault for the burning smell on the first, second or third occasion, it does not qualify for the vehicle being rejected. Trying to reject the vehicle because the brakes are squeaking and also the damage caused to the body work doesn't qualify as a fault. Anyone who has a burning smell inside the car would be advised to buy a handheld carbon monoxide detector, in fact, I would recommend that anyone with a discovery sport should invest in a carbon monoxide detector as carbon monoxide is odourless. For those that already have or are thinking about investing in a carbon monoxide detector, don't assume everything is safe if the meter does not register immediately, it took a two hour run in the car for me to get the readings I got. I'm more than happy to post the video of the readings on YouTube should anyone be interested.
Hi, I was wondering what type of CO detector you got to place in the vehicle? I am having an issue with my 2018 Discovery Sport with a fuel smell coming into the cabin. It has been in for repairs multiple times and the first time they replaced the fuel rail. Did not even get home before we smelled the fuel smell again. The dealer claims they can not smell the odor and have done an ozone treatment and to no avail my family is still smelling the odor.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-18-2018, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Your not alone here- My Disco Sport suddenly started doing this as well unfortunately I have not had a resolution to this as there is a list as long as my arm of issues that JLR are finally taking seriously.

At the moment I am enjoying a HSE Velar V6 (a nice upgrade to the Disco) for my troubles....
post #7 of 12 Old 07-23-2018, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Garage
If fumes of any kind were a widespread problem, they would have to issue a recall.

Disco Disco!!
Good Good!!
post #8 of 12 Old 10-19-2018, 02:57 PM

They have to acknowledge it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDisco View Post
If fumes of any kind were a widespread problem, they would have to issue a recall.
If the number of people complaining are not high enough, they don't have enough financial incentives to acknowledge it.

I usually experience this in cold weather an idling, I would get an engine check light and by the time I can take it to the dealers the light goes away and they tell me they can't do anything without the light to tell them whats wrong. I haven't experienced it during the summer.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-23-2018, 01:56 AM

exhaust fumes in my car

hi, I am trying to reject my car on numerous major faults such as - balance shaft had to be repaired, engine replaced (after 14000 miles), condensation in my rear lights which effected the electrics, and most importantly to me - the exhaust emissions getting into my car!! I have a 1 year old and I am extremely worried about him in the car now! the first occasion was after the balance shaft was replaced so I put it down to them not putting something in right, the dealership told me it was because they hadn't tightend something correctly. so I was happy with the answer. the second time it happened I noticed my little one had a nose bleed- I called LR garage and they said they couldn't get me in for a few weeks!!!! I contacted landrover assist and they came straight out, they knew exactly where to look and what it was, the engineer told me that it was a known issue with the part that you described. I have tried to reject the car but landrover and finance are refusing to as they have no proof that this part is faulty and LR are not admitting it. I have called the ombudsman and raised a complaint but I can see them taking the dealerships side as the parts have been repaired in the dealerships eyes. the stress and upset this car has caused me means nothing to them I am now scared to put my child in this car as like you say carbon monoxide is odourless.
if you could help me I would greatly appreciate it.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-25-2018, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have 2 ideas that may help. 1. Home Depot sells a battery operated Carbon Monoxide detector that has a digital display. One of them is made by kidde, they have a 2 pack for $40.00. They have other brands to choose from with the display as well. You can find them on their website or in the store.

I do not have this problem with my Discovery Sport I just bought the detector for the house. When a vehicle is fist started with a cold engine that is when emissions are the highest out of the tail pipe because the catalytic converter is not yet hot enough to burn up the unused gases. I tested this device by placing it near the exhaust pipe when I started up the cold engine and it did read and display a high CO (carbon monoxide) reading. As the engine and emission components warmed up the CO reading went to zero.

2. You could also bring your DS to an independent repair shop that has an automotive grade emissions analyzer. (Instead of LR who may be trying to protect themselves from a buy back situation. It is also possible they do not have an emissions analyzer as they are very expensive and require maintenance). If you live in California I can help you find a shop that has one.

With the Home Depot unit, or the automotive grade analyzer you could take photos or live video of the event and bring it to LR to help settle your case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page