Burning smell/carbon monoxide poisoning
Hello all, this is my first post. I'm writing this out of frustration and also to make people aware of the problems that I am experiencing.
I've read on a few different forums that there are people complaining about a burning smell coming through the air vents of their discovery sports. This normally occurs when the car is at a standstill after doing a small run (this normally happens when the engine has reached temperature.) the car has been taken into the dealership on more than four occasions for this fault to be diagnosed. On all four occasions they failed to diagnose what the fault was. I started to grow concerned when my two boys, nearly 14 years of age, all of a sudden, became travel sick. It was after speaking to a gas fitter that it was suggested that I might want to purchase a carbon monoxide detector . Sure enough, not only when the burning smell occurred but also without the burning smell, I was getting a reading of 30 parts per million. This didn't mean anything to me but apparently it is dangerous and particularly harmful to children. There are known cases of this in America in which it has put the driver to sleep while driving a vehicle and killed the occupants, I'm not in anyway saying that it's a discovery sport that they were driving and to my knowledge it wasn't.
I made a video to show Land Rover the carbon monoxide reading to which they did seem to take the issue seriously. They said that head office was not aware of any such burning smell being reported to them. I was essentially sent away and told to wait approximately a month before they could get my vehicle in for investigation to diagnose the fault. When asked what I should do in the meantime regarding the burning smell, the manager simply replied "put the re-circ on or wind the windows down". I wasn't happy with this and raised my dispute with Land Rover head office who got my car in earlier to be diagnosed. The senior technician showed me a picture that head office had sent him as to where to look for the fault. He also confirmed they were aware of the issue. The problem seems to be a part that connects to the catalytic converter being deformed, leaving a small gap allowing fumes to escape in to the cabin of the car. My car is still with the main dealer (about 12 days now) waiting for this part to be repaired. I have asked both the finance company and the main dealer if they would allow me to reject the car amicably to which they refused. My car has been in the main dealer over ten times for problems with the brakes squeaking, rear seat squeaking, other parts squeaking from the rear of the car, scratches being removed from the car on three separate occasions from being caused by the dealership washing the car when specifically being asked not to and finally, the back brake lights filling with water. Apparently, because they didn't find the fault for the burning smell on the first, second or third occasion, it does not qualify for the vehicle being rejected. Trying to reject the vehicle because the brakes are squeaking and also the damage caused to the body work doesn't qualify as a fault. Anyone who has a burning smell inside the car would be advised to buy a handheld carbon monoxide detector, in fact, I would recommend that anyone with a discovery sport should invest in a carbon monoxide detector as carbon monoxide is odourless. For those that already have or are thinking about investing in a carbon monoxide detector, don't assume everything is safe if the meter does not register immediately, it took a two hour run in the car for me to get the readings I got. I'm more than happy to post the video of the readings on YouTube should anyone be interested.