Discovery Sport Forum banner

Weekend project: Roof Rails installed with Rola cross bars

49K views 86 replies 23 participants last post by  gtron 
#1 ·
Thanks to those who inspired me to get a set of roof rails. I took everyone's advice and ordered a set of gloss black roof rails for my DS.

Before you order, check your car.
They have 4 different part numbers so be aware:
Pano Roof - silver or black.
No glass roof - silver or black but will need ditch fasteners and additional parts $.

It was much easier than what the dealer warned me. Basic hand tools: socket wrench, open end wrench, and a plastic parts puller was all that was needed.

Ordered the rails from Niello LR in Rocklin, CA for the best price $465, lowest shipping $30 and great service $0. Their price was so low, my local dealer could not come close to matching.

It came with an instruction sheet on how to download the installation info - either online or thru QR code reader which I used on the iPad.

Here is the invoice and instruction sheet:

The time estimate on the installation page shows half and hour.
I took an hour so not being a LR tech, not bad...

After figuring out how to pop off the roof covers - that was interesting - the covers are held in place with springy plastic grommets that hold onto the steel threaded studs along the roof line.

To install the rails the parts are clearly identified which side, front, mid, and rear.
That made the parts identification much easier.
The solid steel mounts that went onto the steel threaded studs easy and the included plastic spacers to align them made the job easier.

I love the low profile cross bars from Rola. I used the old set from my BMW E53/E70 and it fit perfectly!

Then on the cross bars are my old time favorite Yakima Fat Cat 6 for holding my skis & snowboards.

So here is the set of new black glossy roof rails on my white DS.

Roof rail parts ordering: DISCOVERY SPORT Accessories (2015 & UP): Land Rover Rocklin-Niello Land Rover Dealer-California

Rola cross bars: Rola

Yakima Fatcat 6 ski/snowboard holders: https://www.yakima.com/fatcat-6

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks!

The Rola bars are the ones that fit on the BMW E53 - very common cross bars.
There are other current cross bars that are just a slick and low profile: Whispbars

#6 ·
The cross bars are easy to install and remove - takes just minutes.

Each manufacturer has their own system of mounting - Rola uses a special torx security key while my other cross bars uses a key to release/lock.

I like the Whispbars myself but can't spend $400 for the rails...

The roof rails are perfect for not only winter sports, but bicycles, surfboards, kayak, stand up paddleboard, hang gliders (all the sports we do in Southern California)....>:D

#10 ·
That is correct - no fitting info on the Rola site.

I just happened to find my BMW roof rails fit onto the DS.

Rola part #: 59829

Just returned from a skiing weekend and loved the roof rails, cross bars and the Yakima ski holders!>:D

#11 ·
Looks great!
Could you give me a little more detail on what size socket wrench you needed?
+ adjustable wrench and a plastic parts puller? Can you give a bit of detail on how you get the covers out?

I've yet to order the parts - but I want to be prepared on tools! Thanks again :)

#12 ·
I don't remember the socket sizes but I have a selection of SAE and metric sockets for the ratchet drive.
As for the plastic puller, I used a standard plastic door puller to avoid scratching the paint.
The rail covers are held in place by a pair of plastic holes that are flexible and grabs onto the bolts that stick out.

Quite easy - you should review the installation instructions by scanning the code on the LR sheet.
I used an iPad and the code gave me a very high resolution PDF type of image which you can zoom in areas.

Feel free to ask about the install should you have issues.

#13 ·
I got the Land Rover roof rails, cross bars, and acqua sport carrier installed. The lack of instructions is killing me. It is really making me feel stupid.

I got the cross bars off, but can't be doing it right. Are they supposed to be very difficult to remove? Mine have a key and the special tourqe wrench. Then to take them off I assumed I had to press the little lever inside, but that really did nothing.

I removed them because the acqua sports carrier makes some noise when on the highway and I am going on a little trip. I wanted to just take the carrie off, but the install had the mechanic cut the rubber center channel from the cross bars. Seemed necessary but odd since now they look goofy if the acqua carrier is not installed.

I also can't understand the acqua carrier as it is advertised to hold a surfboard... It looks more geared for a canoe. Again, no instructions and the ones I found in the hidden fittiment Land Rover accessories area of their website are worthless. I emailed LandRover directly and thry responded that I need to speak with my certified LandRover dealer.... Big circular loop of passing off the responsibility.

Any help would be appreciated.

-John

#18 ·
Yes, i found these part numbers for the DS when you have the roof rails installed:
Aqua Sports Carrier*

VPLGR0107
Aqua Sports Carrier transports one
surfboard, sailboard, canoe or kayak.
Includes lockable multi-purpose holder
to carry a mast, oars or paddles. Tilts to
facilitate easy loading/unloading.
Maximum payload 99lb.**
Aqua Sports Carrier –

VPLWR0099
The Aqua Sports Carrier – Two
Kayaks transports up to two
kayaks or canoes. Also suitable
for transporting crafts such as
surfboards or small boats.

#19 ·
Yes. That is it. It's a shame my dealership did not have that to give me.

I also found the fittiment docs for the crossbars, but no good instructions on how to remove and re-attach the crossbars. I know it sounds like it should be easy, but they are not. I unlock the key cover and loosen the special screw... But then popping them off... Not certain.

#24 ·
Warning! I bought the rola bar 59829 on Amazon and the bars were too short. I have a 2016 panoramic with official Land Rover rails. The back bar was about an inch too short? I didn't even try the front bar.

Hey 4sallypat how did you get yours to fit?

Does anyone have any recommendation on cross bars that are easy to take off for The Discovery Sport?

#25 ·
So I spoke too soon. There's a way to extend the bar a couple more inches. This is prob good info for people who are planning to buy the rola bar. They do fit nicely and look really good. The only thing is that there is no lock for the bar but you do need one of those special screwdrivers to put it on and take it off. They are also easy to take off and put on.

#26 ·
Oh remember, the rails are not the same lengths!

The ROLA rails come in 2 lengths - one for the front and one for the rear - Try putting them side by side and see which one is longer.

I had to play with the long vs. short rail to get them to fit.

#27 · (Edited)
binding clearance on low profile roof rails

Folks,

now that I'm more confident that the car will continue to work I have decided to invest in roof rails. Per 4sallypat's advice (which was awesome), I went to Land Rover Rocklin, picked up roof rails and installed them myself.

Then I went to REI and TheRackSpot to get cross bars and they did not have Rolas. So I had to look at other brands. After we dug in, they were very uncomfortable selling me anything because the fit guides online (Yakima, Thule, Inno, Rhino) all say the Disco Sport is not supported. The retailers tell me this means there is no warranty on any of these parts.

So I defaulted to coming back here, and trying to order 4sallypat's exact parts on Amazon. But something they told me stuck - the fact that the disco roof rails and very low profile, and that most roof racks will have nails, attachments get very close to the roof.

What they're saying is that you go over a bump and the ski bindings will punch into the roof and damage it.

From your pictures it looks the rolas are very low profile (which is gorgeous), but also means that the bindings are dangerously close to the pano roof. So just a small bump at highway speeds could break the roof?

The ONLY approved parts I could find apart from the Land Rover accessories was from Whispbar in the UK. http://www.whispbar.co.uk/products/4/flush-bar. But nobody REI or RackSpot don't seem to be able to sell me this product! They want me to convert it to S46, S45 etc. I don't know how to do that.

One way is to buy and try and return one by one. Anyone with prior experience please share so I can save some time on this...?

#56 · (Edited)
Folks,

now that I'm more confident that the car will continue to work I have decided to invest in roof rails. Per 4sallypat's advice (which was awesome), I went to Land Rover Rocklin, picked up roof rails and installed them myself.

Then I went to REI and TheRackSpot to get cross bars and they did not have Rolas. So I had to look at other brands. After we dug in, they were very uncomfortable selling me anything because the fit guides online (Yakima, Thule, Inno, Rhino) all say the Disco Sport is not supported. The retailers tell me this means there is no warranty on any of these parts.

So I defaulted to coming back here, and trying to order 4sallypat's exact parts on Amazon. But something they told me stuck - the fact that the disco roof rails and very low profile, and that most roof racks will have nails, attachments get very close to the roof.

What they're saying is that you go over a bump and the ski bindings will punch into the roof and damage it.

From your pictures it looks the rolas are very low profile (which is gorgeous), but also means that the bindings are dangerously close to the pano roof. So just a small bump at highway speeds could break the roof?

The ONLY approved parts I could find apart from the Land Rover accessories was from Whispbar in the UK. http://www.whispbar.co.uk/products/4/flush-bar. But nobody REI or RackSpot don't seem to be able to sell me this product! They want me to convert it to S46, S45 etc. I don't know how to do that.

One way is to buy and try and return one by one. Anyone with prior experience please share so I can save some time on this...?
Dang I was almost ready to hit "add to cart" on Amazon to buy the Rolas...then I thought I'd go through this thread again and saw this. 4sallypat, what do you think about this? I'd love to get the Rola bars, the price is excellent and they look fantastic, but I'd hate them to be too close to the pano roof...

I've run across the Thule Aeroblades, which seem to sit a bit higher but they are hard to find in black.

#32 ·
Anyone have any tricks for the factory roof rail gutter guards to stay in? Mine seem to pop out once in a while and flap or make wind noise. It appears they are stuck in nice on the outsides of the vehicle and have a rubber guard or flap on that side. The other side just seems to be wedged in?

I hade it installed at my LR dealer. They installed the cross bar backward and fit the size of them wrong on the adjustment screw... Hence to say I probably need to fix this myself,but did not have the luxury of installing them and the knowledge you all have.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.