How do stock Disco Sport tires handle in winter - Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-11-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How do stock Disco Sport tires handle in winter

Hello,

I just bought a 2017 Disco Sport with stock 18' rims and tires. I was just wondering how these tires perform in winter and snow? Do I need winter tires here in Toronto Canada? Mostly city driving... Please let me know how you feel about using the stock tires in the winter.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017 Disco Sport HSE. 5+2 Seating. Navi. Driver Tech Pk. Convenience Pk. Heated Front Windshield. Replacing a written off 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2 of 19 Old 03-11-2017, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
The continental tires are not the greatest for winter driving. I've driven them in heavy snow, snow pack and sheer ice a few times, they do ok, as can be expected, but if you encounter long periods of severe winter weather, a lot of folks go with Bridgestone blizzak tires.
4sallypat likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-12-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks!

We live in Toronto. This winter we had a fair amount of ice and snow. In fact they are calling for a big storm this Wednesday. We had stock tires on our Cherokee Trailhawk and never had a problem. Put it in snow mode and away we go. They were huge. It was the first thing that people would comment on when they saw her.

Thanks again for answering!

2017 Disco Sport HSE. 5+2 Seating. Navi. Driver Tech Pk. Convenience Pk. Heated Front Windshield. Replacing a written off 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

post #4 of 19 Old 03-12-2017, 11:07 AM

Garage
No problem. I think the Cherokee TH came with Firestone Destination AT tires. They are a more aggressive all terrain/all season tire. Blizzak tires are winter/snow only and you'd need to put the Continental tires back on after winter is over. If you're ok with that then that might be your solution.
Here's a question...So, if you were happy with how the Firestones performed, why not give them a try on the Disco? They won't have the same sporty look as the continental tires though.
Please keep in mind, in my somewhat limited severe winter weather driving the continentals were not terrrible.

May some others will chime in.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-13-2017, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
See my link in the Wheels and Tire forum:
Blizzak 18" tires for winter

The all season Continentals are good for most summertime driving but I decided to get a winter set as I usually travel to the Sierra Nevada mountains for skiing or winter fishing.

I love the tread compound on the winter Blizzaks - they grip like crazy even on dry pavement.

Taking her around corners - they feel like road magnets.

Best of all, I get to travel thru mandated chain control road stops on the way up to mountains - as I tell the state police officer I have 4 wheel drive and 4 snow tires. I get waved thru along with other cars that have AWD and 4WD.

But then the real test begins when I noticed cars that do not have chains will still slip and slide because they either have the wrong tire (A/S or summers) and/or their traction control systems are slow to react because the wheels do not run full time 4WD. This is something I hated in AWD cars - the wheels only become active when the on board computer detects slip - something I have always hated - leaving the controls to a computer.

Land Rover is full time 4WD and it shows - grips as soon as you apply acceleration. In snow mode, the Discovery grips even more by changing the throttle and shift point to avoid slipping. Land Rover is the best for traction control if you match it with the right snow tires...

Loving my Bridgestone Blizzaks!

2016 DS HSE - 5+2 3rd Row, Climate Comfort, Driver Assistance +, Audio Upgrade, Gloss Black Roof Rails

Last edited by 4sallypat; 03-13-2017 at 09:34 AM.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-13-2017, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have the 20" continintal stock tires. They are a sportier all season tire. I havent had any problems in the snow but havnt used them in anything real deep. Mostly highway or city driving snow conditions. Maybe a slide or two here and there coming out of an ally that hasnt been plowed. Though i wouldnt trust them going down a highway in a blizzard thats for sure.

I had the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season on my LR4 and i took that through some serious snow with little problems. Once my Continentals wear down i will change to these again.

2017 Santorini Black, Dynamic Design Package with white interior, cold weather package, upgraded audio.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-14-2017, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
I have the all season pirelli's (scorpion verde or something) and live in Minnesota. They work great, but I've always just used all season tires so not much to compare. I think snow tires are probably a smart idea, but I honestly don't know any friends or family members that use snow tires. I think we Minnesotan's like to pride ourselves in our ability to drive on ice and snow, however misguided that may be sometimes

MY 2016 - Loaded HSE - Loire Blue w/ black pack (19s)
post #8 of 19 Old 03-18-2017, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I have the Continentals and they handle well for the little weather we have had in NJ. I also took them through the sand on the beach with no issues.

I did just catch a nail tonight and had to throw on the donut. Any idea how many miles we should get from the Continental tires?
post #9 of 19 Old 03-19-2017, 12:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJC View Post
I have the Continentals and they handle well for the little weather we have had in NJ. I also took them through the sand on the beach with no issues.

I did just catch a nail tonight and had to throw on the donut. Any idea how many miles we should get from the Continental tires?
Keep em rotated. The fronts wear fast. We've got 25K on our Disco. We've rotated at both oil changes. The tires are showing a lot of wear. I suspect I'll change them within the next 5k-10K miles. I dont think I'll want to rotate them again as the ones on the rear now are getting pretty worn. I dont think I want them back up front.

Disco Disco!!
Good Good!!
post #10 of 19 Old 03-20-2017, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Fellow Torontonian here! We got our DS last fall and put snow tires on it in December. Wife uses the car to go to work every day, plus we do the odd trip to Ottawa, so snow tires were a no-brainer. The DS will get you going with any kind of tire under almost any condition. The problem is when you need to stop... That's when a snow tire is ALWAYS superior to a summer or all season. That is by far the most important reason to get a winter tire, unless you can just leave your car parked when the conditions get bad (but what's the point of owning a Land Rover then...?).

I got new rims and tires from Simply Tire, and they look and grip fantastic. The tires are Continental WinterContact SI on 18" Fast Wheels rims. Because of the offset, the tires stick out a bit more than the standard setup and with the rugged grooves in the tires, the whole setup looks aggressive - love it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page