LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-11-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New owner questions in Aussie

Hi All,

I pick up my LRDS in a couple of weeks and have a couple of questions. To be honest, I can't wait. All of the reviews seem so complementary of the car and it's purpose. Am changing from a Skoda Octavia vRS as the ride was too firm for my wife. The test drive was like floating on a cloud in comparison without losing too much driver feedback from the road.

The car: 150 HSE in Fuji White with 20' Black Pack. 5+2 seating and a tow bar. Otherwise standard. Got a sweet deal for their EOFY and this was in stock.

Questions:
1: Does the HSE really not have a CD player?? Does it at least have a USB input?
2: Do the powerfold mirrors fold when the car is locked?
3: Has anyone (particularly in Aus) had a bull bar +/- winch installed? ARB only have one listed for the normal discovery.
4: Are there many who have had the b pillar issue in the 2017 models? Especially in Aus? And what was the service like in Aus as it seems variable in the US.
Thanks in advance. Will post pics when the beast arrives.
post #2 of 10 Old 06-12-2017, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo24 View Post
Questions:
1: Does the HSE really not have a CD player?? Does it at least have a USB input?
2: Do the powerfold mirrors fold when the car is locked?
3: Has anyone (particularly in Aus) had a bull bar +/- winch installed? ARB only have one listed for the normal discovery.
4: Are there many who have had the b pillar issue in the 2017 models? Especially in Aus? And what was the service like in Aus as it seems variable in the US.
Thanks in advance. Will post pics when the beast arrives.
I can only speak to the Canadian version, but I think this still applies.

1. No CD player (seriously, who listens to CDs anymore???). But, yes, it does have a USB input inside the storage compartment under the armrest. Your entire CD collection can probably fit on a $5 USB stick!

2. Yes, the mirrors fold automatically when the car is locked. This feature cannot be disabled (at least not in Canada) and is a major pain in the you-know-what. Had several instances of freezing rain where the mirrors were barely able to unfold when car was unlocked. Maybe not such a big issue in Aus... The other problem is that the mirrors don't really fold much at all, so I don't really see the point. They still stick out a lot.

3. N/A

4. My 2017 has not really had the b-pillar issue. I say 'not really' because I have heard the ticking a couple of times in 10k km, but not not enough to make it a nuisance.

Looking forward to pics!
post #3 of 10 Old 06-12-2017, 09:54 AM

Agree with Jabba for the US market on all counts.

I don't have a problem with the folding mirrors, but living in the southern US, freezing has not been an issue. Agreed they don't fold back a lot, but in some of these tight parking spaces with idiots, any little bit helps

Have had zero issues with ticking B-pillar (2016 HSE, 7,000 miles).

2016 DS HSE, Corris Grey w/Black Pack, Climate Comfort Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Vision Assist, Audio Upgrade, 5+2 seating, Protection Pack, Black Roof Rails

post #4 of 10 Old 06-12-2017, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba1900 View Post
I can only speak to the Canadian version, but I think this still applies.

1. No CD player (seriously, who listens to CDs anymore???). But, yes, it does have a USB input inside the storage compartment under the armrest. Your entire CD collection can probably fit on a $5 USB stick!

Looking forward to pics!
If only I could use a $5 stick, my music folder is 126 GB's but it would be nice not to have to convert all my old CD's to mp3. The USB input is in an awkward location so I got a short extension for my sticks.

I think most of the ticking is because of the seat belt knocking against the passenger pillar and owners reading about the problem naturally think their car has the problem. I thought I had it and it was only the plastic cover on the pillar that was loose.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-13-2017, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGLarry View Post
Agree with Jabba for the US market on all counts.

I don't have a problem with the folding mirrors, but living in the southern US, freezing has not been an issue. Agreed they don't fold back a lot, but in some of these tight parking spaces with idiots, any little bit helps

Have had zero issues with ticking B-pillar (2016 HSE, 7,000 miles).
Thanks for your answers. I don't think icing mirrors will be too problematic for me either - just the odd frost or two here in Victoria

I will be sure to remember about the plastic on the passenger seat belt before I start to worry then.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-13-2017, 07:48 AM

As far as the ticking - in addition to the seat belt issue, I have noticed that my sunglasses in the holder will occasionally rattle. The way the sound echoes can almost sound like it is coming from the passenger B-pillar.

2016 DS HSE, Corris Grey w/Black Pack, Climate Comfort Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Vision Assist, Audio Upgrade, 5+2 seating, Protection Pack, Black Roof Rails
post #7 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
She has arrived!! Great car to drive. Looks even better in the flesh. My wife keeps commenting how the black pack really makes it 'pop'.

What do I love so far?
1. The 150 engine is all you need. Love the response and it so far has more than enough torque. Could be different for towing-will test that out soon enough.
2. The ride. It absorbs every bump with ease - even on the 20 inch rims. That said, I have just come from a car with sports suspension.
3. The intuitive-ness of the controls. I love when you can get onto a car and it pretty much works. In saying that, I love that there is lots of tech and menus so that I can explore further.
4. The seats. Impossible not to be comfortable IMHO. The wife is pleased as well and she has a sensitive rear lol.
5. The design. I was following an evoque which at a distance looks similar but the design language on the LRDS is just great.
6. The ride height. For a standard AWD, it has great ground clearance. I will want more to go rock hopping but the ride height is a great compromise for everyday driving.
7. Charging points everywhere!
8. So much more...

Only a couple of niggles since picking her up yesterday:
1. Stereo is only ok (only the base Meridian) but I think I am going to miss my Canton system from the Skoda.
2. Lack of adaptive cruise control. I only had this feature in my last car for 18 months but it was so handy for highway driving. I know it was an option but didn't want to wait 6 months for a car to be built.
3. There are so many more options available for this vehicle that are standard in other cars. Not enough to be a deal breaker but I hate seeing plastic panels where buttons can go lol!
4. There is no adjustable terrain progress control on the 150 engine.
5. Still not been able to find anyone who can advise about an OEM bull bar option for this car to really set it up.

That's all for now but I can see myself enjoying this car for many years ahead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170618_170005_1497770059124.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	5882   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170618_165940_1497770589914.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	5890   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170618_170021_1497771172294.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	5898  
post #8 of 10 Old 06-19-2017, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Response:

Love
1. How I would love to have a diesel option in North America...
2. I find the ride a little harsh on 19s. It was much softer on winter 18s. However, as you say, it's all relative!
3. Absolutely agree! Love the general controls in the DS (just wish the touchscreen was a little faster). It gets the combination of buttons and touch controls just right. Unfortunately it's all touchscreen going forward - the new full Discovery is more touchscreen, the Velar is pretty much all touchscreen - the next DS will probably fall into the same trap.
4. I hear people raving about the seats. I find them not bad, but I have a not exactly average 6'4" frame and I can't get 100% comfortable.
5. By far the nicest looking SUV on the road! I always liked the Evoque, but after seeing and owning the DS, the Evoque looks like a toy.
6. Ride height is great for snow here in Canada.
7. Yes, the connectivity is great - nice that it's standard.

Niggles
1. We only have the base stereo (not even Meridian) and it's not a great system. Too bad the first Meridian upgrade isn't much better. I was blown away by the B&W in the Volvo XC90 - would love to have that in the DS.
2. That's an option we didn't go for either. Next time!
3. I find the standard equipment on the DS to be pretty good, but it might be optioned differently down under.
4. That's surprising. All the cars sold in North America come with the terrain response system. Didn't know the DS could be had without it.
5. Can't hep you with that one.

Thanks for sharing pictures!
post #9 of 10 Old 06-20-2017, 07:49 AM

I agree on all points above as well.

I was originally in the market for the Evoque, until I sat in one for the first time. Very nice car, but man did I feel closed in! That switched me over to the DS - and never looked back. I had an Evoque loaner for a week or so when my DS was in for service (waiting on an A/C blower motor of all things). I couldn't wait to get out of it and back into my DS.

post #10 of 10 Old 06-21-2017, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your response. It seems that many options are standard in other regions too. Poor old Aus misses out lol.

It's great to hear of other fans of the car on here. Looked at many other vehicles before I got the DS and nothing compares for the price point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page