Will removing "Discovery" lettering reduce the value? - Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-17-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Will removing "Discovery" lettering reduce the value?

Hello all

First post here.

So I am currently saving up for a 2017 Discovery to replace my old 2002 Blazer.

If all goes well I should be placing the order late spring or perhaps early summer.

Naturally there is a lot I like about the vehicle and could discuss, but start with one small point I guess, one thing I'm a bit sour on and hope I'm not offending any who like it, but I really don't like how big and pronounced the letters that read "Discovery" are on the front and the back and am 99% sure I will have them removed at the dealer before I take it.

For me I really wish it came from the factory with the Land Rover lettering as those are nice and honestly I just favor the name, but I don't know yet if I want to go as far as putting those in place of the Discovery letters yet

Will note to that one of best friend's works as a mechanic at the dealer I will be getting it from, and he has told me I'm not alone as quite a few people have had the letters removed.

Anyway, I guess the only thing that is holding me back is I just wonder if or how much this might lower the value of the vehicle and especially if I want to trade it back in to the dealer as I don't plan to keep it more then 3-4 years before I will probably swap it for a newer one or upgrade to a full Sport.

So I guess to get to the question, I just thought I would query peoples opinion among those who really like the SUV as to what you would feel about getting a used one if you were looking, but finding it had the Discovery letters removed?

Would you pass over it for one that did if it was clean and great on all levels besides that?

Would you feel you should pay less for it then it otherwise would be worth?

Thanks for any feed back
post #2 of 13 Old 12-17-2016, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Personally I would not considerate buying an altered luxury vehicle. I would always worry about what unseen changes where made. Maybe a used KIA
post #3 of 13 Old 12-17-2016, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I don't see any reason why you cannot remove the lettering, its very easy. Then, when it comes to trade in just reinstalled them, they are cheap on eBay and a easy install. I also agree with you about the lettering, I also have thought about removing the rear and replacing it with Land Rover, the Discovery lettering is a bit over done.

A far as the price, NO I don't think lettering has to do with a cheaper price.

2016 Discovery Sport Santorini Black Metallic, HSE Package, HUD and Park Assist Pack, Climate Control Pack, 18" Inch Black Design Pack, Audio Upgrade Pack, Driver Assist Plus Pack, Protection Pack

post #4 of 13 Old 12-17-2016, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluereef View Post
I don't see any reason why you cannot remove the lettering, its very easy. Then, when it comes to trade in just reinstalled them, they are cheap on eBay and a easy install. I also agree with you about the lettering, I also have thought about removing the rear and replacing it with Land Rover, the Discovery lettering is a bit over done.

A far as the price, NO I don't think lettering has to do with a cheaper price.
That's true, it really isn't all that hard to put them back on when I go to trade it in.

All in all I was planning to get new ones when I did it anyway so even if its a $100 or so to have a body shop do it so they are as right as possible, it could be worth it.

For my Blazer I got the ZR2 package and it came with a good size sticker on the back quarters that said that, which also included what looked like a little splash of mud at the end of it, but just seemed kinda kid like to have it so I had the dealer remover it. But I bought new ones in the box at the same time in case someone wanted them when I went to sell it.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-18-2016, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
De-badging is common in Europe and comes standard.
While in the USA, cars are badged as standard.

When you de-badge your car, keep the lettering to replace them when you sell it.

I agree, that the minimal approach is sometimes better looking - some Range Rovers I have seen have them removed and the only thing visible is the green LR oval badge.

2016 DS HSE - 5+2 3rd Row, Climate Comfort, Driver Assistance +, Audio Upgrade, Gloss Black Roof Rails
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-19-2016, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
De-badging is so much easier today with these new adhesives than 20 years or more ago when the badges where attached with pins and holes in the body!

I'd be interested to see how your DS looks without them - could be really nice! (and if you don't like the look - put them back on!). Replacing Discovery with Land Rover would be interesting as well. Hmmmm. Something else to consider.

2016 Disco Sport HSE, Corris Grey/Black Pack, Driver Assist Plus, Vision Assist, Climate Comfort, Protection Pack, 3rd row 5+2, Gloss Black Roof Rails
post #7 of 13 Old 12-19-2016, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I thought about that but getting the Land Rover letters that are slightly curved is the problem, most of them from what I have seen are flat letters. I'm still looking for them.

2016 Discovery Sport Santorini Black Metallic, HSE Package, HUD and Park Assist Pack, Climate Control Pack, 18" Inch Black Design Pack, Audio Upgrade Pack, Driver Assist Plus Pack, Protection Pack
post #8 of 13 Old 12-19-2016, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I also would have much rather have had the LAND ROVER scripts on the nose and tail vs the Discovery. BTW, there is a white Disco Sport around here where someone did just that--replaced the Discovery badges with Land Rover. I'm not super fond of the Discovery name being a basis of a sub-brand, but at least the steering wheel as a Land Rover logo on it and not a Discovery logo. Check the new Discovery 5, the steering wheel logo says "Discovery"...not my fav.

If I see that DS with the Land Rover script again soon, I'll try to get a picture.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-20-2016, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluereef View Post
I thought about that but getting the Land Rover letters that are slightly curved is the problem, most of them from what I have seen are flat letters. I'm still looking for them.
Interesting, so the Discovery letters have a slight curve to them?
post #10 of 13 Old 12-20-2016, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGLarry View Post
De-badging is so much easier today with these new adhesives than 20 years or more ago when the badges where attached with pins and holes in the body!

I'd be interested to see how your DS looks without them - could be really nice! (and if you don't like the look - put them back on!). Replacing Discovery with Land Rover would be interesting as well. Hmmmm. Something else to consider.
I had thought about putting on the Land Rover letters but wasn't sure I wanted to change it that much.

Could just see someone in a parking lot or at work coming up to me and saying...oh...so what you needed to think you car was a real Land Rover that bad huh.

I know, small point to care that much about others, but still would wonder how it would look and or make me feel about the choice.

But really more main thing I was worried about was in several years down the road I just would worry that even if the Land Rover letters could come off fine, there might still be some evidence of them being there to the paint or finish such as fading or color changes in an outline of them or something.

Where as if I took the Discovery letters off right away there shouldn't be anything like that, then if I leave nothing and want later to put them back it shouldn't have any issues like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page