DONE! Generally speaking, quite happy . . esp. about the total price. $140 from Amazon plus $150 installation from a local body shop. Just sprung for a $20 Land Rover hitch cap from ebay.
- while infinitely cheaper than getting it done for >1K with OEM equipment from the dealer, it definitely won't look as integrated. That will probably be a more than fine tradeoff for most folks.
- the ridiculous gaping hole under the silver panel is now essentially covered over. However, I remember when I was first curious about the hole, the way it was explained to me from the dealer was the hole was to make room for the hitch. This may be true for the OEM hitch but certainly has NOTHING to do with anything aftermarket. The Curt cross bar still sits in front of the hole, not inside it. Quite frankly I think something fishy is going on, and Land Rover won't admit it. There is NO reason why that hole should be there. If it's to make way for an OEM hitch, then the hole should be cut out during the installation. Regardless, I am glad to not have to see it anymore.
- there is a Curt sticker on the crossbar. It is easily peeled off. Be aware, though, that another sticker which is white (see picture) with the serial number is visible after installation. It is NOT removal friendly at all, esp. since most of it is inside the panel cut which is almost inaccessible. Make sure you have the installer remove the sticker first. I got around this by spraying Goo Gone up inside the slot, waiting 15 minutes, and then taking a flexible paint spatula and scraping it off. Came off pretty easily but before the idea hit me, I had considered bringing it back to the body shop, and have them remove the bumper so I could remove the sticker that way. Thankfully a trip was saved.
- all in all, glad to have done it. Thanks to all who posted picts of their experiences as well, which helped cement my decision. For me, it was paramount I still could use my hitch mount Thule bike rack, instead of resorting to roof rails and ruining the pano roof!!
- and yes, Cocteau Twins is my absolute favorite band of all time!
Last edited by jsyteng; 04-03-2016 at 11:39 AM.