2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
still trying to figure out gear paddles

I think I have the car configured where I can play around with the gear paddles only in Sport mode.

When I'm messing around with the gear paddles, does this mean I've put the car in some sort of Manual mode, and that the gears won't auto shift until I get it out of "Manual" mode? If yes, then how do I go back to pure auto mode? I noticed that the car still seems to downshift if necessary even when I'm gear paddling . . .

I've never driven a stick or used manual before on any car so would loved to be clued in.
post #2 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've only used it for a few days before deciding that the s mode in auto is good enough for my needs. I have not successfully gotten it to go from manual mode back to auto without putting it back into D, then back into S again.

The car will auto downshift if the rev drops too low, it will also prevent you from going into too high a gear if the rev for the next gear is too low (less than 1.5k usually)
jsyteng likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Try maintaining the upshift paddle for 1second, it should go back to full auto
jsyteng likes this.

post #4 of 15 Old 01-10-2016, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
or you can simply turn the gear knob back to normal drive. But you will lose the sport mode.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-10-2016, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsyteng View Post
I think I have the car configured where I can play around with the gear paddles only in Sport mode.

When I'm messing around with the gear paddles, does this mean I've put the car in some sort of Manual mode, and that the gears won't auto shift until I get it out of "Manual" mode? If yes, then how do I go back to pure auto mode? I noticed that the car still seems to downshift if necessary even when I'm gear paddling . . .

I've never driven a stick or used manual before on any car so would loved to be clued in.

Pull and hold the up shift paddle for about 2 or 3 seconds and it will revert back to normal automatic shift mode. You can then go back to paddle shifting Whenever you want.

Disco Disco!!
Good Good!!
post #6 of 15 Old 01-10-2016, 11:31 AM

Garage
Quote:

If you have paddles shift enabled for normal DRIVE mode, then you can over ride the transmission shifting at at time but it will revert back to normal auto shifting shifting shortly. It's a neat feature. I use it on road trips when I want to pass or when we are going up hills, on twisty roads or whenever I feel I need it. But I disable it when my wife drives it day to day so whe won't accidently shift it.

Disco Disco!!
Good Good!!
post #7 of 15 Old 01-10-2016, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Interesting. How do you set that Discodisco?
post #8 of 15 Old 01-10-2016, 01:52 PM

Garage
It's in the vehicle set up menu. You can select the paddle shifters to be active in both modes or just Sport mode.

Disco Disco!!
Good Good!!
post #9 of 15 Old 01-21-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
the point of gear paddles is still sorta lost on me. Is there really an advantage to be gained from using them? How would you use them to help pass someone. I would love understand how to use them better.

Also, I have never seen the "Gear Up" icon. Supposedly it appears when the computer detects that you are nearing the upper RPM limit for the current gear. Has anybody else seen it?
post #10 of 15 Old 01-22-2016, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
the point of gear paddles is still sorta lost on me. Is there really an advantage to be gained from using them? How would you use them to help pass someone. I would love understand how to use them better.

Also, I have never seen the "Gear Up" icon. Supposedly it appears when the computer detects that you are nearing the upper RPM limit for the current gear. Has anybody else seen it?
I use the paddles to be able to quickly pass somebody or if I feel the car is lugging up a long hill.

I have never seen the gear up icon either

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page