User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-18-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down Fuel Tank Capacity

Does anyone know why the h...ck they did put 54 liters fuel tank on this car? There must be a reason for this stupidity from the land rover engineers.
Even a Renault GScenic has 60 l tank. Are they going to upgrade it to something around at least 70 l? Does anyone know?
post #2 of 10 Old 04-18-2016, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralMonkey View Post
Does anyone know why the h...ck they did put 54 liters fuel tank on this car? There must be a reason for this stupidity from the land rover engineers.
Even a Renault GScenic has 60 l tank. Are they going to upgrade it to something around at least 70 l? Does anyone know?
Did you have the fuel gauge recalibration software applied? I don't work in liters, but I went from filling up with 14 gallons to about 16.5 gallons on what I'm pretty sure is an 18 gallon tank after having the software patch applied.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-26-2016, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralMonkey View Post
Your DS, like everyone else's, has a 70 liter (18.5 gallon) tank - check your owner's manual... It may appear that your tank capacity is lower due to an oversight by LR in which the fuel reserve is set to an astonishing 3.5 gallons. This is easily fixed with a software patch from the dealer. I had mine corrected a month or so ago and now the reserve is just 1 gallon.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-28-2016, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Your DS, like everyone else's, has a 70 liter (18.5 gallon) tank - check your owner's manual... It may appear that your tank capacity is lower due to an oversight by LR in which the fuel reserve is set to an astonishing 3.5 gallons. This is easily fixed with a software patch from the dealer. I had mine corrected a month or so ago and now the reserve is just 1 gallon.
I still can't seem to convince my dealer that there is a issue with the fuel reserve level.

Sorry for being a computer idiot, but I can't find the bulletin code, or whatever it was called for this software patch. Does anybody have it handy?
post #5 of 10 Old 04-28-2016, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
See attached from topix
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160428-181005_1461881461837.png
Views:	1457
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	2753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160428-181202_1461881543252.png
Views:	1267
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	2761  
post #6 of 10 Old 04-29-2016, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJC View Post
See attached from topix
Super, thanks
post #7 of 10 Old 05-08-2016, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I took delivery of my Discovery Sport HSE 3 weeks ago. When the fuel gauge chimes a warning lamp -- my estimate of remaining fuel is about 3.5 to 4 gallons if I am to assume the tank is 18.5 gallons. I use a 3rd party application to track gas mileage based on a simple total mileage vs. amount of fuel (gallons) required to re-fill the tank to the top.

I asked the Land Rover Dealer what is the true setting (default) when the fuel warning lamps trigger on. I could not get a straight answer. I asked him whether he was aware of a service bulletin re: fuel gauge calibration. He insisted my DISCO Sport was up to date with all firmware / software updates.

This is frustrating because I am not sure what to believe in terms of the RANGE mileage calculation vs. what I know what is in the tank and the average MPG. After reading the string of prior post -- I suspect the reserve lamp should be set around 1 to 2 gallons remaining of fuel? I don't mind the higher value (as previously mentioned) -- but the RANGE (e.g. 285) when I know under normal driving condition I should be able to max (to zero) at least 325 - 350 miles.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-22-2016, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJC View Post
See attached from topix

Thanks!!
I brought the info to the dealer and they reset the gauge (I hope) and I will see how much fuel I can put in next fill. I always fill up well before 1/4 tank but Land rover has seen fit to cater to the 1% who run empty.

I know dealers hate forums because of all the erroneous information that comes from them, but without the information from DrJJC and others I would never have found out about this simple cure.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-30-2016, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
So the first tank (filled by dealer with el cheapo fuel) showed that I had 343 KM to empty, at the start. Drove app 370 KM when the fuel warning light turned on. Filled tank at 385 KM ( distance to empty was 30 KM) with 52 Litres of fuel.

After software upgrade and the gauge reading just above the red mark I filled up again. Drove 471 KM ( distance to empty this time was 90 KM ) with just short of 58 litres. So going to zero I estimate fuel fill would be around 65 litres. OH after fill up the distance to empty read 539 KM.

I now have a better idea of what the range is especially driving in mountains and areas in the Western U.S.A.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-30-2017, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I have about 2900 miles on the car and still getting only 290 miles for DTE on full tank - will the software patch help recalibrate? My jag ftype reads about 340 on full tank...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page