3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-09-2015, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Do you use regular gas

Hi all, just a general question as to whether anybody uses regular gas instead of premium.

While LR recommends premium gas, Ford does not. Ford also shows similar hp and torques numbers, some applications are a little lower, some a little higher.

Does anybody know why we need premium gas?
post #2 of 17 Old 11-09-2015, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoffire11@gmail.com View Post
Hi all, just a general question as to whether anybody uses regular gas instead of premium.

While LR recommends premium gas, Ford does not. Ford also shows similar hp and torques numbers, some applications are a little lower, some a little higher.

According to the manual:

"Jaguar Land Rover Limited requires the use of premium unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) to contribute to peak performance, fuel economy and driveability.

"If premium unleaded fuel is not available, you may use unleaded fuel with a lower octane rating, down to a minimum of 87 AKI, but this may reduce engine performance, increase fuel consumption, cause audible engine 'knock' and other driveability problems."

I use regular most of the time. I don't notice any issues.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-09-2015, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoffire11@gmail.com View Post

Interesting - since the LR engine is a Ford Ecoboost - did LR engineers use a different software mapping that causes the need to use Premium fuel ??

2016 DS HSE - 5+2 3rd Row, Climate Comfort, Driver Assistance +, Audio Upgrade, Gloss Black Roof Rails
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old 11-09-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdyahoo View Post
FWIW, I found an article on Edmunds on whether you should use premium gas or not, and they have a listing of 2015 (and 2016) models, and whether they "Require" or "Recommend" premium gas.

The 2015 LR Disco Sport is on the Recommended list, not the Required list.

"In today's automobiles, advances in engine technology mean that even if the owner's manual recommends premium gasoline, the car will typically run on regular without issue and won't damage the engine in any other way. The car's performance might suffer only slightly: it might be a half-second slower from zero to 60 mph, for instance. But the average driver isn't likely to notice this drop-off."

Save Money and Stop Buying Premium Gas
Thanks for that!

Well in that case, I will split the difference and put in mid-grade (89 octane)....

2016 DS HSE - 5+2 3rd Row, Climate Comfort, Driver Assistance +, Audio Upgrade, Gloss Black Roof Rails
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-09-2015, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
In the Disco I run 91 and 100% real gas 95% of the time. Runs great and gets very good MPGs. Feels sluggish with anything less to me.

The manual for my RAM 1500 recommends 89 so I run 89 with 100% real gas. Most others just throw 87 in theirs without any apparent problems.
Bill F likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-09-2015, 10:38 PM

95 octane ?
Real 100% gas ?

Wow must be nice, we only get 91 octane and 90% gasoline here in Southern California....

post #7 of 17 Old 11-09-2015, 10:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
95 octane ?
Real 100% gas ?

Wow must be nice, we only get 91 octane and 90% gasoline here in Southern California....
Sorry about your California luck. LOL
No, I use 91 octane, 95% of the time. I use 100% real gas, which has no ethanol.
I use E10 and anything less than 91 octane only if I have no choice. My vehicles never even sniff E85.

Disco Disco!!
Good Good!!

Last edited by DiscoDisco; 11-09-2015 at 10:57 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-10-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDisco View Post
Sorry about your California luck. LOL
No, I use 91 octane, 95% of the time. I use 100% real gas, which has no ethanol.
I use E10 and anything less than 91 octane only if I have no choice. My vehicles never even sniff E85.
Which gas station chains carries the 100% gasoline ?

All the stations I have gone to says 10% ethanol (90% gas) on the pumps...

post #9 of 17 Old 11-11-2015, 12:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
Which gas station chains carries the 100% gasoline ?

All the stations I have gone to says 10% ethanol (90% gas) on the pumps...
Thats because you are in Kaleefornya and Im in the Heartland.

I highly doubt that you would have ethanol free gas anywhere near you. Someone correct me if Im wrong but I dont think its even allowed there.

Disco Disco!!
Good Good!!
post #10 of 17 Old 11-11-2015, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDisco View Post
Thats because you are in Kaleefornya and Im in the Heartland.

I highly doubt that you would have ethanol free gas anywhere near you. Someone correct me if Im wrong but I dont think its even allowed there.
I don't know about the heartland, but the station on the corner out in the country near my house in NC now has a 100% gasoline pump. I keep forgetting to check the price, though. Ethanol is just a government program that went awry! ;-)
LRD likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page