Forward Alert and AEB? Have it or not? - Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 10-19-2015, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Forward Alert and AEB? Have it or not?

Hello,

Within my menu tree (accessed from the menu button on the left side of the steering wheel), there are two features that I have no indication actually exist. I can "turn them on" by selecting them and placing a checkmark in the box. They are AEB, which I assume is autonomous emergency braking, and Forward Alert, which I could not find described anywhere. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks!
dgrant is offline  
post #2 of 32 Old 10-19-2015, 07:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrant View Post
Hello,

Within my menu tree (accessed from the menu button on the left side of the steering wheel), there are two features that I have no indication actually exist. I can "turn them on" by selecting them and placing a checkmark in the box. They are AEB, which I assume is autonomous emergency braking, and Forward Alert, which I could not find described anywhere. Does anyone have any insight into this?
Yea, AEB is autonomous emergency braking. Check out page 119(?) in your manual. It should stop your vehicle if you get too close the car in front. It is triggered by the cameras in your windshield. There are several postings about this on this forum and other Land Rover forums. I've seen some postings where the AEB system triggered, but many of us haven't been brave enough to see if it triggers by getting too close to the car in front.

Forward Alert is supposed to warn you if you get too close to the vehicle in front (see page 139(?) in the manual). If you have Adaptive Cruise Control, you can set the following distance which affects the FA settings. Again, many of us have not been brave enough to really check it out.

Here is a video of AEB in action: Land Rover Discovery Sport AEB Test 2014 - Video Dailymotion. There are others on the web if you do a Google search.
rcbjr2 is offline  
post #3 of 32 Old 10-19-2015, 08:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Is your DS from UK market or North American?
I'm asking because I wanted this option but my dealer told me last month that it wasn't available yet in Canada.
Cyclope is offline  
 
post #4 of 32 Old 10-20-2015, 06:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclope View Post
Is your DS from UK market or North American?
I'm asking because I wanted this option but my dealer told me last month that it wasn't available yet in Canada.
Mine is US 2015 HSE Lux. I thought that AEB and Forward Alert are standard on ALL DS's, regardless of country? It's Adaptive Cruise Control that isn't widely available or available at all (I've heard it's a weight issue, but don't know for sure; maybe the extra radar for ACC makes the car too heavy).
rcbjr2 is offline  
post #5 of 32 Old 10-20-2015, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Land Rover North America told me the reason for no adaptive cruise or blind spot was a software issue and they decided to omit them for safety. I am just concerned that I have neither or forward alert. My wife's Volvo has both. Her forward alert provides a visual control when she gets "too close" to the vehicle in front of her. I see no indication of how this works on the DS.
dgrant is offline  
post #6 of 32 Old 10-20-2015, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrant View Post
Land Rover North America told me the reason for no adaptive cruise or blind spot was a software issue and they decided to omit them for safety. I am just concerned that I have neither or forward alert. My wife's Volvo has both. Her forward alert provides a visual control when she gets "too close" to the vehicle in front of her. I see no indication of how this works on the DS.
Look in the setup menu (the button on the left side of the steering wheel and the dash center console menu listing). I can turn AEB and FA on/off through these menus. I'm pretty sure that all DS's have AEB and FA. I heard that ACC and BSM were supplier issues, so different stories are circulating (and I guess I mentioned I heard one about weight as well). I have BSM but not ACC. BSM is very useful. However, like you say, I believe they stopped providing it for a while and you can't order it just yet on the 2016s.
rcbjr2 is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 10-20-2015, 03:38 PM
LRD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Been seeing a lot of questions like this pop up and it seems like that JLR can do a better job at informing its customers on the vehicles they own, whether that be on a dealership level or with some online information portal.
LRD is offline  
post #8 of 32 Old 10-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbjr2 View Post
Look in the setup menu (the button on the left side of the steering wheel and the dash center console menu listing). I can turn AEB and FA on/off through these menus. I'm pretty sure that all DS's have AEB and FA. I heard that ACC and BSM were supplier issues, so different stories are circulating (and I guess I mentioned I heard one about weight as well). I have BSM but not ACC. BSM is very useful. However, like you say, I believe they stopped providing it for a while and you can't order it just yet on the 2016s.
Not all DS have AEB. For the NA market, it is part of a paid option - "Driver Assist Package". If you don't see it under the console menu, then your DS does not have it.
olezay is offline  
post #9 of 32 Old 10-21-2015, 05:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olezay View Post
Not all DS have AEB. For the NA market, it is part of a paid option - "Driver Assist Package". If you don't see it under the console menu, then your DS does not have it.
Oops. My bad. I thought they all had AEB as a safety feature.
rcbjr2 is offline  
post #10 of 32 Old 10-21-2015, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
If we have Forward alert, and I'm not convinced we actually do even though it shows up in our menu, what type of feedback would we get if it was activated by "following too close"? My wife's Volvo XC60 displays 4 red dots on the windshield.
dgrant is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome